Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I associate certain cartridges with tradition. If you don't, it doesn't much bother me. I would rather have a modern rifle in a traditional cartridge than out outdated rifle in a modern cartridge.

FWIW, I think the cartridge with the second most to fear from the .375 Ruger is the .338 Winmag. And rightfully so.
............And I`ll gladly take the more modern, more efficient cartridge chambered in a newer, more modern rifle.

With cartridges, tradition flies out the window with me. However, if a more traditional older round were to better serve my needs ballistically in a rifle I like, I`d go with that one, as opposed to getting it strictly because it is more traditional or classic.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No worries. But I have a thing for the H&H, she's been good to me, and I kinda like buying ammo wherever I want to! It would be sad to see her go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tradition is extremely important, especially when hunting dangerous game. Not to be too funny about it, but if your parents didn't do it successfully then chances are, neither will you.

You guys talk about tradition but then don't honor it. Young whippersnappers with your atlatls, bows and firearms. Ya ought'a do it the way it used to be done!

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
11976-Biggame.jpg (37.62 KB, 219 downloads)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some how I just don't see a hundred years worth of .375H&H rifles falling in to a state of rust because of the Ruger .375. Maybe it will happen in the next hundred years, but not in any of our life times.

That is not to take anything away from the Ruger .375, it just that the .375 H&H has a might of a head start on it.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A friend of mine is lusting for a 375 and keeps going back and forth between the H&H and the Ruger.

What it comes down to for him is today if in Africa his 375 Ruger rifle is ever separated from his 375 Ruger ammo, he's likely screwed, whereas with the H&H he is likely not screwed.

10 years from now, perhaps a non-issue. But today.... cry

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
A friend of mine is lusting for a 375 and keeps going back and forth between the H&H and the Ruger.

What it comes down to for him is today if in Africa his 375 Ruger rifle is ever separated from his 375 Ruger ammo, he's likely screwed, whereas with the H&H he is likely not screwed.

............Don`t bet on that and tell your friend not to worry!. As I posted earlier on this thread and in my conversations with Hornady directly, they have had and do have, an on-going worldwide marketing program for factory ammo distribution. Many of their needed permits have already been granted for So. African distribution with more to come as well for further world wide distribution.

In today`s world, it doesn`t take 10 years, 5 years or even 2 years to market a product worldwide. As Hornady explained to me, all one needs to do is to simply inform the outfitter in advance what you`re shooting. If using a 375 Ruger, the outfitter will have .375 Ruger factory ammo on hand when you arrive,,,, as back up ammo to what is brought.....If one`s original ammo is lost in transit to So Africa, guess what will be waiting there?

Problem solved!

All this perception of ammo not being available for a newer cartridge is a thing of the past, especially when you look at who`s behind the whole thing!.....Don`t under-estimate Hornady`s marketing talents with what they have done, are doing and will do!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Still waiting on another company to make brass and cartridges for it. Usually I only shoot federal premium.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am a fan of both the .375 H&H and .375 Ruger. Never can understand why these threads always come down to one or the other.

Just wondering about something: Somebody here posted that the .375 Ruger is "more efficient" than the .375 H&H. In what way? Just would like to know how that is being defined.

As for the possibility of magic powders being the secret to the .375 Ruger ballistics, that just ain't true. It is easy to match factory ballistics with many common powders, including such different ones as Reloder 15 and H4350.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Still waiting on another company to make brass and cartridges for it. Usually I only shoot federal premium.
...........They will. Things don`t happen overnight or at the same pace with every supplier. In the meantime Midway has .375 Ruger Hornady brass now or did have some the last time I checked several days ago. Use other sources that do have the stuff.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My understanding is that over the counter powders cannot duplicate factory ballistics, even if they will match the old standby. By more efficient I mean for size, and when it comes down to one or the other its because most people will pick one and buy it.

It would be awful tempting to have three rifles built in ought six or 300 mag, 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger... all nearly identical.

Last edited by RyanScott; 01/14/09.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I think the 375 Ruger Hawkeye is what Mr. Shoemaker indicated, a package that reflects what many feel are necessary features for an Alaskan general purpose bear rifle [in the Alaskan version] and an African rifle in the other. And the rifle is very affordable. Likely a bit more affordable without the Hogue stock.

The standard stock would be an improvement in my mind, the .416 supposedly makes a better stopping rifle [I wouldn't know and unless I get to go to Africa I won't find out.] They would look a lot like your RCM if you bought both and a .223 RL Hawkeye would be similar enough.

I do wish someone would make an aftermarket safety lever for all the Ruger bolt guns that is easier to get to with your trigger finger. I assume they shaped it that way to reduce the chance of dragging the safety off on brush.

Maybe the Gentry firm?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gentry died, didn't he? I don't like the Ruger safety either. Model 70/Kimber is better. More grip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am a fan of both the .375 H&H and .375 Ruger. Never can understand why these threads always come down to one or the other.

Just wondering about something: Somebody here posted that the .375 Ruger is "more efficient" than the .375 H&H. In what way? Just would like to know how that is being defined.

As for the possibility of magic powders being the secret to the .375 Ruger ballistics, that just ain't true. It is easy to match factory ballistics with many common powders, including such different ones as Reloder 15 and H4350.
......That was me!.....However I don`t recall mentioning anything about any secret powders........The efficiency I`m referring to has nothing to do with velocity or stopping power. It has to do with better case design which allows for more powder and the better powder capacity to bore diameter ratio as well..... The fact is, that with the 375 Ruger, you can use a shorter barreled rifle by 4" to 5" with a shorter length `06 action and do so in a more compact rifle package, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME enjoying the same ballistics as a full sized H&H rifle.......Aside from velocity itself, if that`s not more efficient as it relates to a cartridge, then what is?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
[quote=Puddle]

In today`s world, it doesn`t take 10 years, 5 years or even 2 years to market a product worldwide. As Hornady explained to me, all one needs to do is to simply inform the outfitter in advance what you`re shooting. If using a 375 Ruger, the outfitter will have .375 Ruger factory ammo on hand when you arrive,,,, as back up ammo to what is brought.....If one`s original ammo is lost in transit to So Africa, guess what will be waiting there?

Problem solved!

All this perception of ammo not being available for a newer cartridge is a thing of the past, especially when you look at who`s behind the whole thing!.....Don`t under-estimate Hornady`s marketing talents with what they have done, are doing and will do!

You need to send that information out to V.F. Grace in Anchorage, Alaska. Let them know how they are not doing business correctly. That way all these village corporations stores would have more of this ammo, you can only find in the big cities, if you are lucky.

Lack of ammunition of these newer ctgs is and on going problem, but maybe only here in No-where,Alaska?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

............Don`t bet on that and tell your friend not to worry!. As I posted earlier on this thread and in my conversations with Hornady directly, they have had and do have, an on-going worldwide marketing program for factory ammo distribution. Many of their needed permits have already been granted for So. African distribution with more to come as well for further world wide distribution.

Problem solved!

If all that is true today, and the missing factory ammo is a non-issue, then discounting the nostalgia thing I think my friend would go with the 375 Ruger in the wood hawkeye model over choosing the H&H.

I have my H&H so I'm a happy camper...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Unless one has money to blow, if one has a 375 H&H now, it makes little sense to then get a 375 Ruger. Ballistically it accomplishes nothing.

Where the 375 Ruger shines, will be with new to the market 375 buyers, who now have a more modern and more efficient alternative, that is chambered in a shorter overall package, while maintaining the same performance.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My understanding is that over the counter powders cannot duplicate factory ballistics, even if they will match the old standby. By more efficient I mean for size, and when it comes down to one or the other its because most people will pick one and buy it.

It would be awful tempting to have three rifles built in ought six or 300 mag, 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger... all nearly identical.
......................Take a good look at this if you can, as their webite was down.."gunblast.com".."archives"..then find a 2/07 article by Jeff Quinn on the 23" African.

I duplicated one of the loads using the same powder in which he received 2875 fps from a 270 gr. Horn SP. That exact same loading gave me a chrono`d velocity of 2808 with my 20" Alaskan!!!!

The 270 gr. Hornady (factory) loading gave me an average of 2703 fps..........Go figure!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .375 H&H is a long tapered case,like many other British big bore cartridges. Their advantage is low operating pressure and easy extraction. A very important factor in a DGR rifle.
The American designed shorter high pressure cartridges can cause frozen bolts and difficult extraction or worse in African hot temperatures when loaded for American conditions, according to Richard Harland and some other very well known PH's.
Of course in Alaskan temperatures these problems would not arise.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Ray, with regard to your 404...what velocity level are you running? I thought that the original was about 2100 but that the velocity can be increased to 2350. Thanks

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Problem solved!

All this perception of ammo not being available for a newer cartridge is a thing of the past, especially when you look at who`s behind the whole thing!....

I assume there's plenty in Anaheim?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.