Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
bigsqueeze - Have you spent a lot of time (or any time) hunting alone in grizzly country?

Are there still grizzlies in California? smile

As I mentioned - I don't hunt with "back-ups" - or a guide.

I'll take a clip full of 375 H&H's as my back up over a handgun - any day. Twice on Sundays too!
........When it comes to dangerous game, I will not hunt alone. I will use PH`s or outfitter guides with back up rifles.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=BCBrian]This 375 H&H is pretty damn short! So much for the myth that 375 H&H's not being availible from the factory in short barreled "compact" packages.

... The Ruger round`s increase in velocity will offset the shorter 21.5" Sako barrel, by still having higher velocity than a 24-25" barreled 375 H&H. Of course the game won`t know the difference, but you get my drift.

Shoemaker chronographed the 375 Ruger factory stuff and got about 2750 or thereabouts; pretty pedestrian,but effective.....I've been getting that from the H&H rounds for years;and you don't need a 24-25" barrel to do it.

Face it Bigsqueeze,you can fit a H&H into the same packages offered in the Ruger,and the rifle will be just as light, portable, handy, and effective, as the Ruger (which itself is a great round in an appealing package). Arguing pursuasively for the superiority of one over the other is like rereading 270/280 articles.....wasted space grin
.....Here`s some more wasted space for ya there BOB A DEE BOBIN!!.......Face what?? Of course you make the H&H anything you want to, including chopping the barrel down and making it a shorter package and just as nice a package.

From my 20" Alaskan, I`ve chrony`d factory 270 grainers with an average @ 2703 fps. and with 270 gr. reloads, I`ve reached 2808 fps. Show me any 20" 375 H&H that will have those #`s.

Between the two, the affect in stopping power on game will have no difference. I never said otherwise. But given the same barrel lengths, the 375 H&H can`t match the 375 Ruger`s #`s................Face that!!

I can barely handle the anxiety......I know, I know....the Ruger MIGHT get 75 fps over the old Holland round........bigsqueeze, you are a very entertaing guy! You are, not doubt, gonna be well armed on your first Brown Bear hunt! Thank god the 375 Ruger came along....where the hell would all be if it had not? confused

Poor Brian! He has not yet figured out that his chances of survival have been increased with the Ruger round grin..... I suspect Brian sorta knows what's going on,donthcha think?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fair enough, I understand and appreciate your opinion.

But, you see I've lived and hunted in B.C my entire life - and even when you're not HUNTING dangerous game - the best places in B.C. to hunt Rocky Mt. Elk, Roosevelt Elk, Moose, Bison, Caribou, Rocky Mt. Big Horn Sheep, California Big Horn Sheep, Dall Sheep, Stone Sheep, Mtn. Goat, Wolves, Cougar and Black Bear - generally have pretty fair Grizzly populations too. Sometimes, even the good Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and Blacktailed Deer spots can have pretty fair Grizzly populations. Did I miss any other reasons that I can brag about living up here? smile

In this province, Grizzlies just have a habit of popping up when you least expect them to! And just 'cause you aren't actually hunting them - while in B.C's wilds - it doesn't mean one might not be hunting you. They also get real ornery near salmon or trout spawning steams - and which streams in B.C don't have those species in abundace? More bragging. wink They also really get pissed if you come upon one of their kills! And sows are a might protective about their cubs. Downright nasty!

So, hunting in these conditions can, just possibly, end up colouring one's opinions.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So hows come , if'n you run into truculent bears tougher'n sherman tanks every time you go out to pot a deer , one of your favorite huntin' sticks is a 22 bore hotshot ?

Or how come , you have been argueing for years that a 6.5x55 is the type of cartridge everyone should be using for moose , after all shot placement is everything...?

Seems like Brian got big bore religion late in life (grin)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm with Brian on this one having hunted in some of the more remote climes of North America. I'd rather be in a position to adequately do the job than have to rely on someone else to bail me out of trouble. That's why my #1H will stay in the safe and my RSM will go with me to the Zambezi Valley. More ammo is always better. Bottom line. No exceptions.

To give BS a Californian parallel, if I was going for groceries to a corner store in Watts, I'd rather load my 1911 with Shooting Star mags (8 shots) rather than the factory 7 shot mags.

I'm sort of interested in saving my skin as it protects my body.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good point!

I've never felt unsafe with my 25-06 or any of my bigger bigger calibers and cartridges in grizzly country - with Barnes Bullets or Nosler Partitions on top of the case - of course. In fact, I've always felt "comfortable" when armed with such.

The .22 centerfire doesn't count - I only use the .22 CHeetah locally, for Mule deer in clear-cuts and Whitetails in farmers alfalfa fields - all within an ATV ride of home. I've only bumped into one Grizzly on my ATV - while driven from home. So, I'm OK with those odds.

But - I retire in four years - at the end of 2012 - and if they are still available, and as plentiful as they are today, I plan on doing a lot of Grizzly hunting - nothing spins my crank more than hunting big bears! Feeling "comfortable" with a rifle, in grizzly country, is quite different, at least to my way of thinking, from saying "I want to make a practice of actually hunting Grizzlies with a 25-06."

Plus- as everyone here can understand - I'll invent reasons to buy a new rifle now and then - if I have to. I actually said to my wife "Honey, I can probably kill a grizzly with any of my rifles - but a 375 H&H would be a whole lot better protection - should I run into a mean one." She loved me enough to say "Buy the gun." grin I sure felt like a lucky man when she said that!

And, after I retire I'll be able to spend a whole lot more time fishing on Salmon, Steelhead and Trout steams - and, a whole lot more time in the northern part of the province - where the Grizzly population is exponentially greater than it is locally. My trips will into the wild be a lot longer than they are now too. I'll have many more chances to "interact" with large bears - as the greenies say. wink

SO...

I hope to find myself in a whole lot more "interesting situations" - soon in the future.

If I'm going to make a practice of it - and since I love the new rifle so much - I think I'll try and pack a rifle that makes a bigger hole, with a bigger bullet from a bigger cartridge - especially if I plan on spending my future years the way I hope to!

"Looking for trouble" - as my wife would say grin

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=BCBrian]This 375 H&H is pretty damn short! So much for the myth that 375 H&H's not being availible from the factory in short barreled "compact" packages.

... The Ruger round`s increase in velocity will offset the shorter 21.5" Sako barrel, by still having higher velocity than a 24-25" barreled 375 H&H. Of course the game won`t know the difference, but you get my drift.

Shoemaker chronographed the 375 Ruger factory stuff and got about 2750 or thereabouts; pretty pedestrian,but effective.....I've been getting that from the H&H rounds for years;and you don't need a 24-25" barrel to do it.

Face it Bigsqueeze,you can fit a H&H into the same packages offered in the Ruger,and the rifle will be just as light, portable, handy, and effective, as the Ruger (which itself is a great round in an appealing package). Arguing pursuasively for the superiority of one over the other is like rereading 270/280 articles.....wasted space grin
.....Here`s some more wasted space for ya there BOB A DEE BOBIN!!.......Face what?? Of course you make the H&H anything you want to, including chopping the barrel down and making it a shorter package and just as nice a package.

From my 20" Alaskan, I`ve chrony`d factory 270 grainers with an average @ 2703 fps. and with 270 gr. reloads, I`ve reached 2808 fps. Show me any 20" 375 H&H that will have those #`s.

Between the two, the affect in stopping power on game will have no difference. I never said otherwise. But given the same barrel lengths, the 375 H&H can`t match the 375 Ruger`s #`s................Face that!!

I can barely handle the anxiety......I know, I know....the Ruger MIGHT get 75 fps over the old Holland round........bigsqueeze, you are a very entertaing guy! You are, not doubt, gonna be well armed on your first Brown Bear hunt! Thank god the 375 Ruger came along....where the hell would all be if it had not? confused

Poor Brian! He has not yet figured out that his chances of survival have been increased with the Ruger round grin..... I suspect Brian sorta knows what's going on,donthcha think?
........What makes UUUU think I haven`t hunted any dangerous game such as bears? Never said I haven`t!!

I did own a 375 H&H there `ol Bobin. Didn`t always punch paper with it either!!! I didn`t exactly buy that big bear rug now lying in front of my den fireplace at the flea mart. Shot with an H&H!.....Nice try!!! BTW! I`ve always been a .375 H&H fan! I just like the Ruger round better!! To-da-loo! wink wink wink wink

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Big squeeze: Just flushing you out!!Enjoy the Ruger!! laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think the 3+1 capacity in the RUger is a real big deal. Here is why: If I am out hunting and run into an angry grizzly, chances are I am carrying my 300WSM, 7RM or .223, so I am going to use what I have, and shoot well.

If I am grizzly hunting, I am going to take one or 2 well placed shots and if the bear isn't dead right there where I can see it, I am going to top off the magazine before I go in to investigate.

I'd much rather take the chance that I will be carrying my compact, trim Ruger 375 than choosing to leave behind my old, heavy, cumbersome Brno .375 H&H wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Clarke, I'll give you $50 for that old clunker, seeing as you're too old and feeble to pack it anymore.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
I don't think the 3+1 capacity in the RUger is a real big deal. Here is why: If I am out hunting and run into an angry grizzly, chances are I am carrying my 300WSM, 7RM or .223, so I am going to use what I have, and shoot well.

If I am grizzly hunting, I am going to take one or 2 well placed shots and if the bear isn't dead right there where I can see it, I am going to top off the magazine before I go in to investigate.

I'd much rather take the chance that I will be carrying my compact, trim Ruger 375 than choosing to leave behind my old, heavy, cumbersome Brno .375 H&H wink
..........That`s a right!!!! Gimme my handy and very fast 40.25" 375 Ruger Alaskan anytime!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
But think of what a 7lb Sako Model 85 would feel like! smile

If you haven't shot or handled one - you owe it to yourself to take a look. If short barrels turn your crank - look at the Kodiak model.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you haven't shot or handled one - you owe it to yourself to take a look. If short barrels turn your crank - look at the Kodiak model.

The Sako Kodiak looks like they thought Ruger Alaskan was a good idea, so they tried to emulate it. It's a little longer than the Ruger and about the same weight.

Sako has many fans and it's well deserved, they are fine rifles, and I like the 85's as they are CRF, which I prefer... But I'd still pick my 375 Ruger over the Kodiak. laugh

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf

The Kodiak looks like what a European thinks a Safari rifle should look like, except they chopped the barrel a few inches and added a laminated stock...

Last edited by Gatehouse; 02/09/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
Clarke, I'll give you $50 for that old clunker, seeing as you're too old and feeble to pack it anymore.

I sold it a few years ago. It just didn't meet my needs. I was going to get a .375 *something* built, which would be Stainless, CRF, 20" barrle, Macmillan stock, etc...

I bought a Mdl 70 7STW as a donor action and was considering a few cartridges, including .375 Weatherby, 375 Taylor, etc...Then the .375 Ruger came out in the Alaskan model and I bougth it, sold the donor action and added my McSwirly stock, and had the rifle I wanted from the start! laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gatehouse

The Sako Kodiak looks like they thought Ruger Alaskan was a good idea, so they tried to emulate it. It's a little longer than the Ruger and about the same weight.

Sako has many fans and it's well deserved, they are fine rifles, and I like the 85's as they are CRF, which I prefer... But I'd still pick my 375 Ruger over the Kodiak. laugh

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf

The Kodiak looks like what a European thinks a Safari rifle should look like, except they chopped the barrel a few inches and added a laminated stock...

..........I agree. The Kodiak although good looking, doesn`t have that rough it look like the Alaskan which I prefer. Also, in checking that link, I read a 14" LOP for the 85`s. Same LOP for the Kodiak with the 21.5" barrel?? If so, even for my size, a 14" LOP on top of a full compliment of thick hunting clothing in cold weather, isn`t my type of a quick and handy shouldering rifle.

I would prefer a rifle that`s a half pound heavier, that has a shorter LOP along with the shorter barrel as well, as opposed to a lighter rifle with a longer LOP, a longer barrel with a longer OAL. It`s not all in the weight that makes a rifle a good handler or not, it is in the dimensions too.

Yes! I too believe that Sako with their Kodiak is following Ruger`s lead with a more compact DGR. I suspect that there may be more makers that do as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow! Isn't it interesting that a new 375 causes so much histaria.
I am open minded and Bought a 375 H&H CZ. It didn't feed, but after some personal time with a dremel tool and files, I was able to make it smooth. CZ was the first rifle and the 1st 375 I've had to make feed properly along with my 1st in the caliber. So I thought CZ might just come with the buyer expecting to pay $500 more to make it a great rifle. I recently had Awesome luck with Ruger rifles in bigger calibers. So I sold the CZ, to get a lighter better handling rifle, for a Ruger alaskan 375 Ruger. I was excited to get the Ruger home and see it feed so smoothly like all other rugers I've owned. I made up some factory spec rounds. To my surprise, the new 375 ruger wouldn't feed. For me, It seems to be a curse on the 375 caliber. Instead of trying to smooth it out my self, I sent it right back to ruger. Now I realize Any rifle needs work to make it what you want. The 375 ruger and h&h are considered equal with similar velocity, but Both have there perks. 375 Ruger has more case capacity, higher velocity per capacity, available in cheap a 375 rifle. But the H&H has a ,once tuned, smooth feeding action, ammo every where, and a proven track record. Since they both have equal velocity the track record is based on ammo availability and feeding reliability.
I say it goes on what you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gohip, What were the symptom of your Ruger failing to feed? All of them I have seen feed fantastic but I realize that sometimes things slip up and get sent. Did ruger make it right and how is it now?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Veeeedy interestin!!.......... I NEVER have had a feeding problem with my 375 Ruger Alaskan. After several hundred rounds, not a one! I presume you fully sized your cases properly at the shoulder? Shellholder touching the bottom of your sizing die, plus tighten another 1/4 to 3/8ths turn clockwise on the die?

If you had the proper die adjustment on your press and the feeding problems still continued, the problem could have been with your sizing die not sizing the shoulder down enough causing the feeding problems.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well with all the controversy between the Ruger 375 and the 375 H&H, I just rebarreled my CZ 375 to 500 Jeffery just to ease my mind ...

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having just read the article in the title I'd like to take a moment to tell Phil Shoemaker that it was a very enjoyable article.

Retired cat herder.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.