Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, when you slide the bolt forward, the cartridge catches and jams as soon as it starts to raise the front end up out of the magazine.

When sizing the brass, I did make sure it was fully sized.
Like I said, I've never had an issue like this with a ruger rifle. I'm pretty sure it was just a lemon. I brought it back to Cabelas and they sent it in to Ruger. said it would be 6-8 week. I'm anxiously awaiting to get my rifle back. They said if they can't fix it, they would give me a new one.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by colorado
Well with all the controversy between the Ruger 375 and the 375 H&H, I just rebarreled my CZ 375 to 500 Jeffery just to ease my mind ...

smile

Chuck

Now that's what we call "thinking with both halves"

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ok Chuck, now the snot will fly from your nose, the Copenhagen from your lip, it will fly out and block the ocular lens of your scope and the charging buffalo will kill you, all because you couldn't see the sights for the Copenhaggen. Now see what you done went and done with that slobber knocker 500 Jefferys...based on a simi true story by yours truly! smile smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I hope it's not quite that bad Ray, lol. I get back from Japan next week, so hopefully the rifle is done and Harlan will ship it out to me. I'll keep you all posted ...

smile

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 03/07/09.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Re-read 458's article yesterday and confess I missed quite a bit the first time around. I've found myself using the lightest socpes possible for the use intended for many years now. Heavy scopes and heavy recoil clearly spell trouble - the inertia at both ends of the recoil cycle is deadly. Can't understand what possessed Leupold to follow the Euro trend of heavyweight scopes on the VX-7. As much as I like its optical qualities, I find it a wretched hunting instrument. I'll stick to my old ones, and the lighter they are the better I like them.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had fun at RMEF walking around talking to the "other" scope makers telling them that what they really needed to produce was a series of 3X, 4X and 6X scopes, with and without lighted reticles grin. I think the Weaver guy got it; the rest kept trying to move me to big variables whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe Weaver brings back the 4,75x40 and gives us a 2,5x20 Grandlam? You think?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wildcatter: I could not agree more.I am so sick of variable power scopes, it's ridiculous,and the bigger they are,the more I hate them.I MUST hunt on a different planet,because,while the theory of a big variable is compelling, I have just found over the years that in a great deal of hunting,I just don't use the variable feature very much.

I ripped a 3.5-10 off my 7mm Dakota yesterday because I simply could not stand the thing any longer.I can see a 1.5-5 on a DGR,or woods rifles,but a great big scope just slows you down.Plus, I simply cannot trust the damn things, no matter how hard I try.

Those morons at Leupold should get their heads out of their arses and start offering a longer tube,REAL 4x,so you can mount the damn things,and a 3X,instead of finding more silly ways to jam redundant variables down our throats.

The thing that cracks me up,is how many posts you see here about this variable or that one failing after X number of rounds,like the test done on the optics threads;who the hell wants a scope that can will only last through a thousand rounds?

I agree the VX7 is a stupid scope...You could not run fast enough to give me one,nor would I pay the price.If I'm gonna part with that money, I'll get a 30mm Zeiss or S&B first,for those rare times that I need the extra optical performance;most places I hunt this is not often.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/09/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Bobin!..............By your reply, I can see and suspected that you would do the `ol tap dance, or the 2 steppin routine and not answer my questions head on or directly. Aside from "custom builds" which I stated, I never said that obtaining a H&H in the size of the Alaskan wasn`t possible. Anyone with a 375 H&H, can cut down a rifle to the same porportions as the Alaskan which will handle just as well. Perhaps I should have stated that or been more clear!

Forget if you would the rifles themselves, your dislike of the Hogue stock, the barrel contours, the actions, the magazines and so on and just concentrate if you can on two things and two things only. The two individual cartridges as designed and barrel length and answer the question put to you from my last post.

As I said from the beginning or earlier, this has nothing to do with stopping power as both are equal. Any animal won`t know the difference and it is truly "no big deal"

You say that "in theory" the Ruger is a hair faster! No sir! That is not a theory. That is a ballistic fact! The Ruger case holds more powder than does the H&H case, plain and simple!

So again, if you would be so kind as to answer my question directly put to you in my last post, which obviously bears repeating again.

If I`m wrong "as you say" about the inherent superiority of the 375 Ruger design in weight, efficiency and performance, then how and why is it sir, that the 375 Ruger, from a 20" barrel, can duplicate and exceed slightly 375 H&H ballistics from a 24" barrel? Care to Hornady directly who developed the Ruger round and tell them that`s a theory?......Please stay on that issue alone sir and answer that question. Forget the rifles, magazines, chambers, chamber dimensions, contours, bolts, stocks, or anything else. Stick with the cartridge design and barrel length.

So,what was the question? It's painful pulling it from the middle of the rant.Can you give it to me in one sentence?So I can understand it...I'm a bit slow.....

Is the Ruger "faster"? Seems to be, by about 100 fps in equal barrel lengths. My 375 Ruger gave a bit over 2800 with the 270 gr bullet,from the 23" factory barrel.Without straining anything,a 375 from a 23" barrel will do 2750...so what's your point?

bigsqueeze if you wanna fall into a swoon over 2-3" of barrel,a 1/4" of bolt travel, and 100 fps be my guest. I like the Ruger rifle and cartridge,and yes it is a nice package. I am not gonna treat the event as the "second coming";

Why don't you just stick a 16.5" barrel on your 375 Ruger,too. You can get a holster for that and your 300,and carry them both at the same time......No wonder all the crazy shidt starts in California...good grief, what a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/09/09.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As the song goes:

If you see me comin', better stand aside.
A lot of men didn't. alot of men died.

BobinNH is on the roll today. +1 on the issues; +2 on the wording.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LMAO laugh laugh laugh

Thanks Bob, I needed that. Just say no to BS!

Test

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Bobin!..............By your reply, I can see and suspected that you would do the `ol tap dance, or the 2 steppin routine and not answer my questions head on or directly. Aside from "custom builds" which I stated, I never said that obtaining a H&H in the size of the Alaskan wasn`t possible. Anyone with a 375 H&H, can cut down a rifle to the same porportions as the Alaskan which will handle just as well. Perhaps I should have stated that or been more clear!

Forget if you would the rifles themselves, your dislike of the Hogue stock, the barrel contours, the actions, the magazines and so on and just concentrate if you can on two things and two things only. The two individual cartridges as designed and barrel length and answer the question put to you from my last post.

As I said from the beginning or earlier, this has nothing to do with stopping power as both are equal. Any animal won`t know the difference and it is truly "no big deal"

You say that "in theory" the Ruger is a hair faster! No sir! That is not a theory. That is a ballistic fact! The Ruger case holds more powder than does the H&H case, plain and simple!

So again, if you would be so kind as to answer my question directly put to you in my last post, which obviously bears repeating again.

If I`m wrong "as you say" about the inherent superiority of the 375 Ruger design in weight, efficiency and performance, then how and why is it sir, that the 375 Ruger, from a 20" barrel, can duplicate and exceed slightly 375 H&H ballistics from a 24" barrel? Care to Hornady directly who developed the Ruger round and tell them that`s a theory?......Please stay on that issue alone sir and answer that question. Forget the rifles, magazines, chambers, chamber dimensions, contours, bolts, stocks, or anything else. Stick with the cartridge design and barrel length.

So,what was the question? It's painful pulling it from the middle of the rant.Can you give it to me in one sentence?So I can understand it...I'm a bit slow.....

Is the Ruger "faster"? Seems to be, by about 100 fps in equal barrel lengths. My 375 Ruger gave a bit over 2800 with the 270 gr bullet,from the 23" factory barrel.Without straining anything,a 375 from a 23" barrel will do 2750...so what's your point?

bigsqueeze if you wanna fall into a swoon over 2-3" of barrel,a 1/4" of bolt travel, and 100 fps be my guest. I like the Ruger rifle and cartridge,and yes it is a nice package. I am not gonna treat the event as the "second coming";

Why don't you just stick a 16.5" barrel on your 375 Ruger,too. You can get a holster for that and your 300,and carry them both at the same time......No wonder all the crazy shidt starts in California...good grief, what a bunch of nonsense.
................The real crazies are in Northern Calif.

The point was this. There seemed to be throughout this thread, doubts and some preconceptions, based on what some considered as theory, not based on any fact, as to the capabilities of the 375 Ruger, whether from a 20" barrel or from a 23" barel, as it related to the 375 H&H.

There was no rant from me as you may want to think Bobin. No "second coming" or swooning either. And no, I`m not cutting my .375 Ruger down to a 16.5" barrel.

At least in the end, you were able to seperate everything else and answer the question.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bigsqueeze: I finally figured out the question but it was painful. Thanks for the clarification,and you are correct...the Ruger case holds more powder and is slightly faster than the Holland round. Sorry if I frustrated you by appearing a bit obtuse wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigsqueeze: I finally figured out the question but it was painful. Thanks for the clarification,and you are correct...the Ruger case holds more powder and is slightly faster than the Holland round. Sorry if I frustrated you by appearing a bit obtuse wink
...... wink wink wink wink wink wink

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

laugh laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

laugh laugh
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bigsqueeze you really are too much.....split a beer? grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
...........Anytime Bro! I`ll even buy! grin grin grin grin grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...........Anytime Bro! I`ll even buy! grin grin grin grin grin

DEAL!...next time I am in ANNA-HEYM!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good-ness...it looks like a truce in the 375 family!!!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.