Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just got back to Montana from a trip to Vermont where I passed through Canada twice.
It struck me that although Canada has tough handgun laws, I can still go through Canada, a foreign country, with rifles and shotguns, something I can't do in some US states.
Also, as I was driving, Canadian news was telling of Canadian soldiers killed while fighting side by side with Americans in Afghanistan. Canadians have fought on our side in every war I am aware of. During Viet Nam, many Canadians gave their lives. While Jimmy Carter was president, Canadian forces rescued 60 or so hostages being held by Iran.
So, Canadians, thanks, for being great neighbors.

Fred Royce

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
"I just got back to Montana from a trip to Vermont where I passed through Canada twice.
It struck me that although Canada has tough handgun laws, I can still go through Canada, a foreign country, with rifles and shotguns, something I can't do in some US states."

whate state?

But I do agree whole heartedly that my neighbors less than a half mile north of me are pretty cool folks. Actually tonight they are pretty cold, as am I, and its getting colder.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dan
Massachussets for one, New York City for another (a'right, NYC ain't a state, but ya know what I mean-LOL)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Royce;
Thank you kindly for the complimentary post Fred, I appreciate it.

I�ve always felt we have the best neighbors in the world as well.

Oh, by the way, you are correct that a few Canadians did fight in Viet Nam, as I worked with a Canadian who had joined the US Army and did at least one tour in country. Like many of that war�s vets, he didn�t talk much about it, but he was there.

Thanks again for the kind post Fred.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Royce,

didn't know that about Mass. Guess I'm breaking the law when i have my shottie guns and pooch driving through on my autumnal pilgrimage for some coastal gunning.

BC,

hey, I just returned from the 'stan. Long story but I was in uniform, again, after 15 years. Be proud of those troops wearing the maple leaf over there. The ones I came in contact with are true professionals.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. DanD;
Thank you kindly Dan for your positive comments regarding our troops.

I have the privilege of knowing 3 men who have been there and made it back OK. One young man who I watched grow up in our church has been back and forth several times so far and it�s always a relief when he makes it back safe.

I�d like to say I�m glad you made it back safely as well and to say thanks to you for your service as well. I�m one Canadian that doesn�t take his freedom for granted.

Thanks again,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear your travels in Canada were pleasant, Fred.

Gov't aside, there's plenty of good folks on both sides of the border. I met plenty of good people during my travels through Montana and Idaho as well...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad to hear your trip went well. All inds of good folks north and south of the 49th. Darn shame that govt and politics get in our way.

I have had many friends go to Afghanistan, some did not come home the same as they went over. Our freedoms in North America are not free but bought by our soldiers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think it was Canadian Forces who rescued the hostages, but instead were aided in escape by Canadian diplomats.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I too am thankful for our good neighbors. I have always enjoyed visiting their beautiful country and since I'm less then 100 miles from them I have been there plenty. Friendly, hospitable and generally all around great people IMHO.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My nephew is on his fourth tour of duty over there.

He's a good man - fighting for a just cause.

From what I know, the Taliban is the epitomy of evil.

I hope every freedom loving country will support the war against terrorism over there - until the hearts and minds of the average Afghan is solidly behind the concept of democratic rule.

That would be some achievement!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BCBrian
My nephew is on his fourth tour of duty over there.

He's a good man - fighting for a just cause.

From what I know, the Taliban is the epitomy of evil.

I hope every freedom loving country will support the war against terrorism over there - until the hearts and minds of the average Afghan is solidly behind the concept of democratic rule.

That would be some achievement!

He is certainly doing what needs to be done. Tough on the family though.

Is he Combat Arms?

Most everyone I know who has been over there has been either Combat Arms types or medics attached.
Sure wish I was still serving. It is almost as hard watching friends go over as it is family members.

Last edited by troutfly; 01/14/09. Reason: gr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of Canadia!

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Iran Hostage Crisis

It is the only time in the history of Canada that Canadian passports have been given to non-Canadians.

J
J
Thanks Fred for your kind comments. I'm glad you trip went well. I am a very proud Canadian and even prouder of the fact that we stand up and fight against the terriorists of this world. Freedom isn't free.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My nephew is on a Navy gunship.

They are in the Persian Gulf - intercepting, boarding, searching - and if need be - imprisoning captives and then sinking boats involved in smuggling contraband and aiding "unfriendlies".

It's probably not as dangerous as on the ground -but it's far from risk free.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few friends Stateside, some I have met, some i haven't ( many here!)

My older brother was a captain in our Armed Forces , trained and fought many times side by side with our southern neighbours, having nothing but great things to say about you who served or are still serving.

As far as our gun laws go, yup, they suck too!!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BCBrian
My nephew is on a Navy gunship.

They are in the Persian Gulf - intercepting, boarding, searching - and if need be - imprisoning captives and then sinking boats involved in smuggling contraband and aiding "unfriendlies".

It's probably not as dangerous as on the ground -but it's far from risk free.

Good for him. Sea duty has it's own unique hazards.
A friend of mine was the medic on a boarding team, pretty intense duty as you never know who/what is actually onboard.

Last edited by troutfly; 01/14/09. Reason: sp
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for HiHO, I am off the Sin City tomorrow for a few days of R&R with my wife and a few other couples.

The more time I spend in the US, the more I enjoy it. I intend to spend a fair bit of winters in Arizona somewhere starting about 15 years from now...lol

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't agree more Royce. I live but a mile from our border and spent more time in Canada than I can remember.

What's really cool is people on both sides of the border fly both flags side by side.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 35WhelenNut, 7mm_Loco, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 17 invisible), 963 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.