Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Somebody tell them to fix the link to the newest addition of RIFLE, it downloads HANDLOADER # 258

Knuckleheadsgrin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And, with a couple of exceptions, (you know who you are), the latest "Successful Hunter" was a bit of a yawner.

How many times has Robb sold that same story. I know of three, maybe four. Not that it isn't a good story, but jeez.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't think I've ever read a complete issue...I don't know why but that particular mag has never caught my attn.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lights they be on, but nobody home.

RSY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, Successful Hunter is a bore. Too bad given Handloader is such a treasure, and Rifle, while up and down at times, often is a true gem.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Handloader can be pretty up and down. Latest I got, (258?) had a couple of good articles Scovil's examination of bullet sizing, Pearce's on the .327 Federal) but too much fluff, such as Venturino's exerpt from the Smith and Wesson catalog. Also, I found Petty's article on the Ruger pocket pistol an awful lot of writing about an awful little pistol. I mean, what can you say about a .380 pocket pistol? It's small and it either goes bang every time or not. YMMV

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It appears to me that Wolfe is a bit confused as to what makes their publications successful. They seem to think that there is something magical about the publications themselves rather than understanding that the success is due to the writers whom they seem determined to drive away.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Somebody tell them to fix the link to the newest addition of RIFLE, it downloads HANDLOADER # 258

The link has been corrected. I just downloaded the new issue (Rifle #243).

-Bob F.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pearce�s article on the 327 is a very good one indeed. It was thoroughly researched and skillfully written. I look forward to his follow-up report on his custom 327.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I downloaded the new Rifle this afternoon (#243 Mar Apr 2009). Spomer was a decent read on custom rifles. Haviland did a solid article on hunting with small bores. Rees gut shot another pronghorn (with a tactical rifle this time).

It's the usual.

GE

Last edited by Gaviidae_Esq; 01/15/09.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hunter has a new editor in place noticed with the current edition. I hope he will want to use Phil S. for Alaska stories in place of someone who went there once and sold the story multiple times. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
From JB to Hoots is...oh, nevermind.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
To tower stand with 300 RUM with feeders and "Buck Grub" in range compared from BC to Ireland with vintage iron on your hind legs?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
I downloaded the new Rifle this afternoon (#243 Mar Apr 2009). Spomer was a decent read on custom rifles. Haviland did a solid article on hunting with small bores. Rees gut shot another pronghorn (with a tactical rifle this time).

It's the usual.

GE

Yep, and figure that Venturino is dinkin' with something that no one has used or really cared about for 100 years (again.... always) in Handloader.

Chose not to renew the subscription to the three this time. Likely won't be upset about that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't get Successful Hunter, since I don't care for hunting stories.

However, I do get Rifle and Handloader and read them both from cover to cover. They're successful because they have the best writers.

JMO
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The latest RIFLE magazine will be the first Wolfe mag I have bought since John left.

Handloader mag might well change it's name to Handgun magazine. Damn I miss JB and Ross S...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I dropped all three.

Handguns and Venturino old $hit that I don't really care about. With Johnny gone, there is no more left for me in the three Wolfe publications.

It's kind of a shame because I've subscribed to all three mags since Issue One.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Count me as another one who has let their Wolfe subscriptions lapse.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I dropped Rifle and Handloader, but kept SH for Phil's articles.
Phil is hugely good....

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just curious if others feel the same as I do and would like more meat and less potatoes? Why buy a magazine repeating what you can get from any reloading manual? I would like more technical information that the average gun geek is not privy to.

I also like the eye candy on the custom gun pages (the gravy). I enjoy the history of old firms like H&H, G&H, Sedgley or any Saville Row gun firm, but how many articles do you need on paper patched bullets with information that applies to one rifle only?

I could rant on but not much point to it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.