Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Al Hayes didn't do anything or make any decisions by himself. But Chesley Sullenberger did.

Pretty obvious you've never spent time in a cockpit! wink

When you find yourself in a hole quit digging. Your out of your league here.

GB1

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More of Al Haynes interview
When the engine failed, Bill immediately took hold of the aircraft. Bill is the copilot 26 years flying, he's been with National/Pan Am, came over to United when we acquired the Pacific flying. Very competent pilot, I'd flown with him a month before, had no qualms about him flying at all. And when he grabbed ahold of the yoke, he demonstrated step one in any emergency procedure: that somebody fly the airplane.

There goes your Dad-induced fantasy pip-squeak. Don't know who/what induced yours, jetjockey but ....

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Duhhhhhh

You're right. It's time to bail on this one. You're one of the ones that when I see your name anywhere on the thread, I don't want any part of it. You're one of the ones who bring this place down in my opinion.

My final word/belief is that Chesley Sullenberger deserves much more credit than Al Haynes ever did. Chesley Sullenberger is a much bigger hero too, now that I've done a little research. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks so - on all points of this, my last post in this thread.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't let the doorknob hit you in the aze...............................

My final word/belief is that Chesley Sullenberger deserves much more credit than Al Hayes ever did.

Chesley Sullenberger followed the engine failure checklist and flew a glider into a river. After the DC-10 crash the same scenario that Al Hayes flew was used in a simulator and flown by McDonald-Douglas test pilots. NONE of them were successful in landing the aircraft as he did.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
amx,

All of the professional pilots on this thread disagree with you. That should really say something.

Would you really care what my opinion was--not having ever driven anything remotely close to an 18 wheeler--concerning how such and such trucker handled a unusual driving situation? Especially when all my info was from the MSM and the Internet?

Last edited by Blaine; 01/18/09.
IC B2

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by amx1047
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Duhhhhhh

... this, my last post in this thread.
Except to say that when I looked at your profile (you know who you are) I deleted you pm without opening it. Don't send me any more. I know I'm right.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why on God's green earth would I send YOU a PM?????????

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
AMX... I have over 9,000 hours in the cockpit, Ive been an instructor in 2 different commercial aircraft and I have over 3000 hours as a Captain, so I'm gonna say your full of chit. Never mind the fact that I have talked to Al Haynes in person and watched him speak several times..... You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, so stop while your ahead.....

Last edited by jetjockey; 01/18/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Following this logic I guess firefighters rushing a burning house and saving children aren't heros because they've trained for such event hundreds of times.

Give me a break.......

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A closer analogy would be a firefighter putting out the kind of fire he's trained to put out. Though it's a great thing to do, isn't really isn't anything extraordinary.............

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I, and a lot of people with whom I have worked, have flown on that flight and others from LaGuardia to Charlotte many times.

Prior to 9/11, if traffic was backed up for landing at LaGuardia, pilots would mosey over Central Park at 2000 feet and give a talking tour of the city.

A lot of things came together just right to make that ditching successful. There is a long list of little what ifs that occur in every flight, that would have doomed this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blaine
A closer analogy would be a firefighter putting out the kind of fire he's trained to put out. Though it's a great thing to do, isn't really isn't anything extraordinary.............

Come on now Blaine, firefighters don't train to rescue occupants of a burning structure?

If I'm hearing you and Brad correctly, you're saying if you have prior training it disqualifies you as a hero?????????

This is almost comical.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In my book, above and beyond the call of duty.

A firefighter has the equipment and the training, it's his/her job.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they are trained to save children from a burning building, then I don't see it as heroic anymore than I see a professional pilot handling an emergency he's trained for. Like I posted earlier, I had a whole passle of emergencies in the three USAF aircraft I flew. It was just considered part of the job to handle those situations, and at best you got an "atta boy."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soldiers aren't heroes either I guess........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A "hero" is someone that, without regard for personal safety, interjects him/herself into a situation for which they are not being paid or have not been trained... A professional is someone that does the job for which they're paid/trained in spite of the circumstances. The pilots of the USAir flight dealt with the chitty situation handed them with excellence. But they were just saving their own asses.

The word "hero" is far too lightly flung around in our society IMO... no one I know in the airline community would use that word to describe what took place with USAir... despite quality airman-ship.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Soldiers do the job they volunteered to do, knowing the risks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A "hero" is someone that, without regard for personal safety, interjects him/herself into a situation for which they are not being paid or have not been trained... A professional is someone that does the job for which they're paid/trained in spite of the circumstances. The pilots of the USAir flight dealt with the chitty situation handed them with excellence. But they were just saving their own asses.

I had to quote that before you delete it. Can't afford to lose such a classic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come on blaine, all you get is an atta boy? I see in your signature you got 14 ribbons not to mention stars and clusters. If all you get is an atta boy, why have those? Why have awards like the medal of honor or bronze star, etc? the military is just doing there job. I dont buy it.

Yes this is what certain professions train for but how many times does it come into play?

Take the CG swimmers for example, they are trained to go into the water to save someone. What those guys do in the bering sea and other areas, maybe there job but it is above and beyond. I dont care how you look at it. Not natural to jump out of a helo in 50ft seas and swim just to help a stranger. true heros to me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He's not the only one who has that opinion.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,195 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,214
Posts18,524,304
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.