Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I just heard that this new round will becoming available. If they shoot as well as the 308 Marlin Express I will have to make room for a new rifle. Sounds great! What do you guys think?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think it all depends on your views. Bolt action only guys could prolly care less. Some don't think new cartridges offer anything more than what is currently available. Personally I like to see new stuff come out and companies trying new things...........but then agian this is just me!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Provided someone makes flatpoints so I'm not dependant upon factory ammo, I can definately see one in my future. I'm not big on most of the new intoductions, but this cartridge really seems pretty neat.

MAGA
M
M
I plan to get one. Haven't decided XLR or MX. It fits well between the 308 Marlin Express and the 45-70 XLR's I have now.I do hope that Hornady gets the 200 grain flex tips out soon as possible for reloaders as they have now for 308 and 45-70 ect. I don't want to buy up a bunch of flat point bullets waiting for the flex tips to hit the market as I did with the 308. The lever action bug hit me hard when they came out with the XLR. I had one 336 Zane Gray prior to that now I have 6. Crazy but fun!!

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
When the XLR's first came out I liked them....except they weren't offered up in blue/walnut to my knowledge. To each his own, but I just can't do stainless/laminate. Be nice if they offered a blue/walnut XLR type available in all calibers; without a higher price tag.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

M
M
I agree Qtip that I wish they offered the XLR in walnut and blue. If I go with the mx 338 I will put the same style of of butt pad as the XLR but of coarse I can't get the 24" barrel you get with the XLR. I won't lose any sleep over a couple of inches or a little fps if I go with the mx.I like them both but will lean to the mx if the wood is warming to the eyes.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
For someone who wants a levergun and doesn't want the whack of a 444, 450 or 45-70, the 338 Marlin is the best of the best of the best. If I were looking for my "first gun" I would be drooling over it...I don't like the color of the grey laminate but it doesn't take much to change that.

If I didn't already have a nice Marlin 336 in 356W I would take a very hard look at a rebarrel and anyone wanting a 338 M that doesn't want to pay the new price can always have their old 30-30's or 35 Rems rebored, rechambered or rebarreled or just buy a cheap donor rifle to have reworked anyway they want for about the same price as a new one...there are lots of ways to skin a skunk without getting stinky...

As far as factory only ammo...I would bet those gumbybear bullets will be available to reloaders very soon and probably the powder...I wouldn't let factory available only ammo stand in my way...besides there are so many ways to get around the "pointy nose" as to make the argument almost moot.

People have and will always carp about something vs. something or I don't like this or that...again the arguments are almost childish in todays world of constant change and the ability to obtain or build anything that the mind can conceive...but I wouldn't want to stop a persons right to make their own judgements...so carp on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I read about this in the new issue of American Rifleman and can't wait for it to come out. I too wish there was a wood and blued version of the MXLR but they will make a 22" barreled MX with a Walnut stock and blued finish. Something tells me if I get one of the MXLR's (24" barrel) it will be getting a walnut stock. Now if only they would make a full length magazine. I guess you can't have everything.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The 338 rifles are already out and the ammo too. Marlinowners has threads on it and gunbroker has listings.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just bought the stainless/laminate version here is the best group for the very first 4-3 shot groups!!!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome! What did the ammo run you?

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Awesome! What did the ammo run you?

$23 and change on sale!!!

Bought 6 boxes!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (264mag, 204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,406
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.