Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JOG
Be a sport and slam your Mountain Gun off your driveway - all in the interest of science of course.

Umm, once was enough, thank you.

A little scratched, but otherwise fine.

Only revovler failure I ever had was a BRAD NEW Winchester Case that I loaded up.

Primer pocket had no flash hole.

Boy-o-boy THAT was jammed.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/21/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You're not going to get effective performance, light weight, and no recoil all in the same package. 2 out of 3 is about the best you get.

I kind of like the blued blackhawk in .45 colt for light weight and power; for my hands the grip is comfortable at recoil levels where a DA revolver causes me pain.

If I was really seriously going to pack it a lot, shoot it very little, I'd look at the S&W 329 PD. Sight it in, leave it alone.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M

If I was really seriously going to pack it a lot, shoot it very little, I'd look at the S&W 329 PD. Sight it in, leave it alone.

Tom

That would be bad for Jeff. His injured hand can't take the "snap". My perception is that grip angle makes a huge diff. The guy can shoot a small Kahr 45 acp wihtout a problem.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The heck with all of em get a stinkin 500 mag,and have no doubt in the power,light? NO but it will kill a elephant and flatten bears like a gopher getting hit with a sledge hammer! The excellent point about a Glock 20 10mm is you can get a second and 3rd shot into a bear much quicker than a revolver and with good accuracy if you are well practiced. You can also have a light on your tactical rail to be effective in a dark situation which can very easily happen with a bear.They also can be bought with adjustable sights,night sights etc.

Last edited by highridge1; 01/21/09.

1 and done
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I like to hang Chromed hubcaps on my Auto pistols . . . . wink

Seriously, the light rail is very cool if'n you gotta 'P' at night.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/21/09.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The light will save your a-s if it's dark because you can actually see what your shooting at.. If you can't see what your shooting at you are going to get chewed up..

1 and done
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I CAN shoot my 44 mag, or I mean my former 44 mag. But it was unpleasant and sometimes caused flare-ups in my wrist, injured in a car wreck decades ago, but just as importantly it killed that web area between thumb and palm. Perhaps a grip change would fix that. I think me and S&W revolvers just disagreee; I had a .357 SW for a while years ago and it never felt right either. I'm OK with accepting that (rather than fighting it) and at least giving something else a run. Which could be the Glock, or could be a Blackhawk, or could be something else... just gathering data at this point...

Mostly S&W revolvers feel very alien in my hand. They don't point naturally for me at ALL. For some reason my 1911 and Kahr's point much more naturally. I'm not really that into pistols compared to rifles; they are just tools. I just want something that feels OK in my hand, isn't hurting me, and is "effective enough" to get 'er done on black bears if I do my part.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 01/22/09.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I had your wrist problem I'd just carry one of your .45's that you already feel comfortable with.

If you feel undergunned get a Glock or Kimber in 10mm.

Travis

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You support the bastard who wants to take all our handguns and then you want advice on buying one? Paul was right.

Paul was right

Last edited by jds44; 01/22/09. Reason: link
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's about a dollar's worth of difference between McCain and Obama on gun control. A dollar is a dollar, so McCain got my vote...reluctantly. It's hardly a claim for the moral high-ground.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
McCain wasn't a Godsend, that's for sure, but he wasn't Obama by a long sight. Anyone that supported Obama doesn't deserve to own a handgun.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's pretty much what the Ron Paul supporters say about us. Hey, it's probably even true.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jds44
You support the bastard who wants to take all our handguns and then you want advice on buying one? Paul was right.

Paul was right

Let it go, dude.

BMT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pretty hard to let it go when people like Jeff_O are the reason that BHO got elected and the reason we're likely to loose a good portion of the 2A. The hard core liberals didn't get him elected, the voters in the middle who have no prinicipals did. Anybody that claims to be a sportsman, a hunter, and a gun owner should show a little more common sense.

BHO believes guns are evil, so his supporters like Jeff_O should go turn theirs in.

Last edited by jds44; 01/22/09.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
As I said, let it go.

Past is past, let's work on the present.

This kind of stuff doesn't help.

BMT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
People like Jeff need to be held accountable and reminded everyday what they've done. Sweeping it under the rug and singing "can't we all just get along" will just bring us more of the same. Wonder if the gunowners in England and Australia wished they'd held a more unified front?

We need to start holding our own accountable. Who was it that said "if we don't all hang together, we'll all hang seperately" of something to that effect?

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
JDS:

I will accept that you are trying to hold him accountable.

However, I think you misssed the mark.

I understand that getting PO'd, but this thread is about buying a 10mm, not gun control.

Holding someone accountable is different from what I read.

I read a classless and clueless junior high insult (no need to restate Paul's remark that you linked to).

Nothing personal, you're a pretty good guy.

But that comment was off the mark.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/22/09.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got Jeff on ignore because he gets my blood pressure up in general, but I couldn't resist this thread because handguns are my passion much more than rifles. It strikes me as highly ironic he could openly support BHO, then ask advice about buying a gun that will absolutely be banned under the new assult weapons ban the lib's want to enact.

Maybe you're right, walk away. Post up some Clint wisdom or pictures from your revolver class in a seperate thread to get my blood pressure back to normal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 10mm is plenty stout enough for black bear. If the G20 fits your hand well enough to suit you, I would say go for it.

If not, check out the Lipsey's special run Ruger flat top .44 special.

That dude should be downright enjoyable.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...10mm for black bear protection. Sounds exciting to me! It'll work, pump'em full of lead!...All kidding aside the 10mm has good punch, and would serve well as last resort protection, but a shotgun with slugs, while perhaps cutting into the excitement factor, would be more certain to avoid medical costs.

....I'm envisioning a wounded bear charging his tormentor, "about" the only way a blackie is 'likely' to attack you. Any pistol in such a case is more iffy than the better stopping power of a shotgun.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.