-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my teen years, I bought quite a few things from Herter's: complete reloading equipment (press, scale, powder measure, etc.), two U9 barrelled actions (one in 7x57 for me and one in 7 RemMag for my father), a 3x scope, a pair of downhill skis, and a bunch of smaller items. Everything was good quality. The only purchase that I regretted were the skis; they were designed for competition skiing and were incredibly stiff - not the type of ski for a beginner to have. Also, I bought them too long for my size and skill, which made them even harder to control.

Loved the catalogue and would spend hours pouring over it.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember the Herter days well even back to the 60's. Alzheimers hasn't kicked in yet.
I think their 2 shouldered cases were called "Ram Magnums" If a single "venturi" shoulder worked for Weatherby, hell, 2 of them were even better. I tried a few of their "Wasp Waisted" bullets, but in my guns the accuracy was not very good.
Somewhere on my book shelf I still have a reloading book by the Herters.
I bought several things from Herters including a few rifle and shotgun stocks. I think their idea of 95% inletted was way off, but the wood was always better than I expected.
I think their claim to the best in the world for all their products were really about, FOR THE MONEY you pay, you can't find something better. That part could be true. I have a die or 2 laying around, they worked fine, but other brands exhibit a lot better finish detail, course, they don't really work any better than the Herters.
I sure do miss the "days" when you could get stuff mail ordered and reading the Herter Catalog always made me smile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Didn't they also develop a rifle cartridge with 2 shoulders?

Yes, they sold the 270 Herters cartridge and presumably a rifle for it.

In this forum on 05/21/08, Bandukwallah pointed out that there was a photo of it on the cover of the 2nd edition of Cartridges of the World. I scanned it and posted it then, but that link is kaputt. Here's the imagae again:
[Linked Image]

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember the book George wrote, "How to Live With a Bitch"? Have seen a couple of copies on Ebay, they always go for more than I'm willing to pay.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a rifle in 6mm Rem a year or two ago. It came with a bunch of Herter's brass and a box of loaded ammo. It looks like good quality brass so I will use it when I need it.

Anybody remember their all plastic "reload a thousand times" shot shells? I have some of them too. They had a plastic disc that snapped in the front. No crimp. They didn't work in a magazine though. The brassless rim wouldn't stop on the fingers and it would jam up the gun. Worked Ok in O/U or SxS, but didn't seem to shoot very well.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.