Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
My FFL buddy has one of these rifles on his shelf. It is obviously a mauser action, and is stamped (fva made in sweden) something to that effect.

This particular rifle has a wood stock and open sights. It is also very light. I would guess it at around 6.5 pounds. Chambered in .30-06, I imagine it would get your attention when you touch it off.

Anyway, with the addition of a kickeeze, and some reduced loads, I think as long as it is a good quality rifle, it would make a neat gift for my wife.

She used to collect Husquvarna sewing machines and had to sell them awhile back. Now that she is hunting, I think she can get more use out of a rifle.

I am pretty sure they haven't imported these in some time, just don't know anything about them myself.

Your experience is appreciated.
'Tide

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look up 24HCF member SBHVA, as he is the resident expert on all things Husqvarna.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some history on Husqvarna regarding weapons manufacturing...

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/company_weapons_history.aspx

Produced firearms for the best part of 300 years.

Shut the weapons division down in 1989.

I didn't know that.

Lot of them sold in Canada. Anyone I've ever met who owns a Husqvarna rifle swears by them.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a Husky 5000 in 270. It shoots OK. It is an HVA action that was sold by Husqvarna and assembled in another factory. If you have not yet purchased the rifle, I would suggest checking the bore with a bore scope. Many of the rifles of that era were not adequately cleaned and pitting can be a problem. I have no complaints about the rifle, but I really don't use it much. I have other complete Husqvarna rifles that I absolutely love.

If you would like to contact SBHVA I would suggest that you go to http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50 and post a request on the Swedish Sporting Rifles forum and he will get back to you promptly. As was indicated in an earlier post, he is the master when it comes to the Husqvarna rifles.

Also, there are other Husqvarna rifles that are available that were completely assembled by Husqvarna. You might take a look at Alan's Armory - he has some Husqvarna 1600 & 1640 rifles (Mauser actions) that are great deals. The 1900 action Husqvarnas were imported into the US under the Smith & Wesson, FFV Sports, Tradewinds and Carl Gustaf. Absolutely wonderful actions.

Good Luck.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

SD Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also have an H-5000, which is was sold by Tradewinds and is stamped "Husky H-5000" and HVA action- made in Sweden.

You probably wouldn't like the rifle. Why don't you pass the contact info on to me and I'll take care of the problem for you. wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Jordan, it sounds like you have the same rifle. It has a schnabel forend and some very pretty grain in the wood. The only ding I see on the rifle is a chip out of the stock at the tang. Otherwise, it is nearly a new rifle. I haven't looked at the bore with a bore scope, but a I have looked at it with a bore light, and to the naked eye, it is very clean.

I will try to catch up with the Husky guru, and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the information.
CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CT,

Back in the '60's and '70's, Tradewinds of Tacoma, Wa. was the importer for Husqvarna rifles. Their designated model # was H-5000. Ironically, they used the same model # on Krico rifles after about 1972 when Husqvarna shut down their weapons division. Thus there is a bit of confusion. I have owned two or three of them. Am now down to one: Actually just an action at the moment. It started out as a 7mm Mag. then I replaced the bolt and barrel and it became a .270. Unfortunately, the chamber was misaligned and ruined and I discarded the tomato stake. smile It is now awaiting my decision as to what to do with it. (Waffling on either a .358 NOrma, .35 Newton, or .256 Newton.) At one time Timney made an aftermarket trigger for them, but I have ever seen only one.

They are excellent quality rifles. and very nice to build on.

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Man you are like the lone ranger. I ask questions and you show up with help. Thanks again, Grasshopper.

I found a couple of these on gunbroker, the asking price there is about a hundred dollars higher than the tariff would be on this one.

I will be getting my taxes prepared in the next day or so, and when all that is straightened out, a new rifle might be in order.

I have had a terrible case of can't helpits for one of the .264WM Hawkeyes, but I think that this is a pretty nice rifle, and it may get the nod.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have two Husqvarna 6000's. A .270win and a 7mm rem mag. They are marvelous rifles. Either will shoot less than one minute of angle, light weight and finely put together. I also can reccomend SBHVA...he is a gentleman and very knowledgeable.
jmr

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Man you are like the lone ranger. I ask questions and you show up with help. Thanks again, Grasshopper.

CT,

That comes from having a lot of time and being snowed in. smile Also blessed with a respectable reference library. grin

I consider about $450 to be a reasonable price for a Husqvarna. Whether a Tradewinds import or not. If one can buy for less then that's a good thing. smile

My favorite is the M-4100 LWT. which has a 20.75" bbl. and is fairly light weight. I have one in .270 that is a S&W import. But then I've never been a fan of ridiculously long barrels unless on a target rifle. Also I hunt out of a stationary blind and the shorter rifles definitely handle better. AFAIC, velocity is moot until one exceeds reasonable range. Since I cannot see much beyond 100 yds, velocity doesn't concern me. smile (As I compete in Hi-power and BPC Silhouette, I get plenty of long range practice. And I know that anything beyond the Pigs is fairly safe from me barring an accident. ) smile OK! So I'm a fairly lousy long range shot... I'm not ashamed to admit the truth. blush

In a conversation with Colorado gunsmith, Ray Montgomery a few years ago, he told me that the Husqvarna is his favorite action to build on, bar none! Another consideration, is that the barrel threads are small enough that Remington M-700 take-off barrels can be rethreaded to fit them. smile That makes for a cheap calibre conversion.

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I am guessing in the neighborhood of 400-425 on this one. It is good to know that a Remington 700 barrel can be rethreaded to fit.

All I need now is a Remington classic takeoff in 8x57 and I would be cooking with gas!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
My FFL buddy has one of these rifles on his shelf. It is obviously a mauser action, and is stamped (fva made in sweden) something to that effect.

This particular rifle has a wood stock and open sights. It is also very light. I would guess it at around 6.5 pounds. Chambered in .30-06, I imagine it would get your attention when you touch it off.

Anyway, with the addition of a kickeeze, and some reduced loads, I think as long as it is a good quality rifle, it would make a neat gift for my wife.

She used to collect Husquvarna sewing machines and had to sell them awhile back. Now that she is hunting, I think she can get more use out of a rifle.

I am pretty sure they haven't imported these in some time, just don't know anything about them myself.

Your experience is appreciated.
'Tide
The Husqvarna sporting Mausers are very nice rifles. I have a Super Grade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go with the 256 Newton, the perfect long action 6.5mm bore cartridge.

My modern 256 Newton is built on a Husqvarna 8000 action, which came to me as a S&W C in 243, and is a great medium game rig. Not too long, not too short, not too heavy, not too light, just about right 4 me!

Jeff

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I am ignorant of the .256 Newton, except it seems I remember reading a mention of it in Col. Charles Askins, Jr.'s book, Unrepentant Sinner. Is it a 6.5 caliber?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes.

Built on a shortened 30-06 case, the 2.450" case of the 256 Newton must be close to the perfect match for the 6.5mm/.264" bore. With modern powders, it can be loaded right on the heels of the 270.

Jeff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Joel,

I have dies for the .256 Newton.... smile

Jeff,

Is yours built on the pushfeed action or the older HVA claw extractor?

Grasshopper

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I say buy the husky. They are nice rifles and are very accurate

I have 12 or 15 of them, lost count. Mostly M98 action husqvarnas though the 1600(5000) action is a nice action

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Push-feed and rebarreled by Ray Montgomery too!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, your H-5000 is based on an HVA 1640 action (CRF- M98/small-ring M96 hybrid style), should have a 22.5" barrel, schnabel forend, oiled finish, and handle recoil surprisingly well for such a light rifle! When I was 16 years old I cut down my stock to fit me, but it took me a while to save up for a 'smith to fit a Decelerator for me, so what did I do? I just kept on shooting the feather-weight 7RM with bare wood on my shoulder, and it was still a pussycat to shoot. I think you'll like the rifle.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Very interesting. Got good news at the tax office the other day, so I have been thinking through what I will be looking for in a couple weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.