Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SKane
AMEN Prewar.

IMO, the worst and most often overhyped acronym used on the 'net in hunting forums is DRT. It's more often where you put the bullet vs. what type the bullet is. (not ALWAYS, but close enough)

Maybe we should start using DRTBIHWIWA. (Dead Right There Because I Hit Where I Was Aiming)

+1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Please guys let this die...I think I know what to expect from others here on the fire!I've been beat up enough for being honest and looking for some objective opinions.I said in the beginning this was just food for thought...not me as a target for all the experts. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
powdr-

Don't think, at least I hope you didn't that as aimed directly at you. Just a mere generalization. Like I reiterated with what countless others have said, if you use something long enough, something is bound to go wrong. While it's possible to get a bad experience right off the bat, I'd be willing to bet you could go the next 20, maybe 100 without incident. I've only shot maybe a dozen animals with the Accubombs and cannot bemoan them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

Maybe we should start using DRTBIHWIWA. (Dead Right There Because I Hit Where I Was Aiming)

grin

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dan360
...a doe at 200 yards with a 270 WSM using 140gr NAB. We found the bullet had hit the edge of a rib and it deflected rearward until it hit the last rib on the other side,

I have seen this time and again with 270's. Happened to me twice. I will never hunt with a 270 again.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Kaleb

JO, I can't see a bullet blowing up and still not going inside a deer deep enough.

THis happened to me on an Axis buck. Hit him in the ribs with a 180 BT running 3250 fps. Engaged him at 180 yards. THe BT disintegrated on impact. Left a 4" hole at the onside shot but did not even break the rib bone it hit. Found the green tip on the offside ribcage inside and that is all. It definitely knocked the wind out of him with no vital disruption. I finished him off with round two in the spine just as he was getting up.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by powdr
I've been beat up enough for being honest and looking for some objective opinions.

You're only looking for "objective" so long as you get a tear in your beer.. you told me to kiss your ass...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Dan360
...a doe at 200 yards with a 270 WSM using 140gr NAB. We found the bullet had hit the edge of a rib and it deflected rearward until it hit the last rib on the other side,

I have seen this time and again with 270's. Happened to me twice. I will never hunt with a 270 again.

So do you honestly believe that something can happen with a .277 bullet that will not happen with a .284 or a .257 bullet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot 5 deer with accubonds from 10 yards to 235 yards....all had exits...all died within 40 yards

4 150's and 1 165 out of a 308 win

I do think they are more explosive than a partition but on a deer at those speeds, they are perfect

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Jeff_O,
Do a quick search and you'll pull up several pics of failed NP's...

BTW, a half-dozen pics of failures really ain't that many when you consider that THOUSANDS and thousands of them are being shot each year by members of these forums.

Since you seem to have a good handle on this, why not post a link to these pics? Maybe it's jsut me, but I pulled up several pages of potential threads (with many pages associated with most threads). I simply don't have the time to sift through them all.

In nearly 50 years of big game hunting I've seen a great many animals killed with these bullets and have never seen even the slightest hint of bullet failure with the Nosler Partitions.

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
R28

"I have seen this time and again with 270's. Happened to me twice. I will never hunt with a 270 again."

Come on now, those Texas deer have skins like armadillo's...cant kill deer with a .270?

Good grief!

LC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

JO, I can't see a bullet blowing up and still not going inside a deer deep enough.

THis happened to me on an Axis buck. Hit him in the ribs with a 180 BT running 3250 fps. Engaged him at 180 yards. THe BT disintegrated on impact. Left a 4" hole at the onside shot but did not even break the rib bone it hit. Found the green tip on the offside ribcage inside and that is all. It definitely knocked the wind out of him with no vital disruption. I finished him off with round two in the spine just as he was getting up.

Lefty, apparently those Axis deer are steel plating too...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

so....the bullet disintegrated but the PLASTIC TIP penetrated?? WOW!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still learning, and given that I'm 43 and only been hunting big game for 9 years, I will be learning sort of forever <g>.

That said, of the "modern" crop of bullets, I really like the Accubond, both in theory (what Nosler says) and in practice (what I've seen).

What Powdr says is a data point, no doubt about it. I think we should applaud his honesty, tilt a brew his direction in sympathy for what had to be a miserable couple days, and move on. We'll never know where he hit those deer. Chit happens.

Thanks for the report, Powdr!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by pahick

so....the bullet disintegrated but the PLASTIC TIP penetrated?? WOW!

Video exists on the internet of me putting a 130gr Ballistic Tip from a 270 into a good sized running bear which had been hit once by the girl shooting. My shot hit it at the base of the neck. It busted lots of bone and exited with about a 4" hole. Dropped the bear hard. I've bt/dt so I'm kinda hard to bullshit.

Last edited by Calvin; 01/25/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Buddy that I load for took a brown bear in Russia with a .325 WSM using 200 gr. Accubonds. No problems, performance was great. So, for every bad story there is a good one. Usually the problem lies with placement and not the projectile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
R28

"I have seen this time and again with 270's. Happened to me twice. I will never hunt with a 270 again."

Come on now, those Texas deer have skins like armadillo's...cant kill deer with a .270?

Good grief!

LC

Yessir, even a 270 Winchester is not immune. You too can experience bullet failure! Here's how: Hit a deer in a hard spot (shoulder) at close range with a fragile bullet that is light for caliber (SD around 0.25 or less) and fired at high velocity (greater than about 2800 fps). Bingo! Instant bullet failure. It just so happens that one of my recipes for bullet failure includes the 270 Winchester with a 130 grain Sierra Game King at 50 yards.

You want fries with that? smile

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duckster
Buddy that I load for took a brown bear in Russia with a .325 WSM using 200 gr. Accubonds. No problems, performance was great. So, for every bad story there is a good one. Usually the problem lies with placement and not the projectile.

Would love to hear more details- penetration, shot placement, etc.

The 8mm 200-gn is a wonderful bullet, IME...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Jeff_O,
Do a quick search and you'll pull up several pics of failed NP's...

BTW, a half-dozen pics of failures really ain't that many when you consider that THOUSANDS and thousands of them are being shot each year by members of these forums.

Since you seem to have a good handle on this, why not post a link to these pics? Maybe it's jsut me, but I pulled up several pages of potential threads (with many pages associated with most threads). I simply don't have the time to sift through them all.

In nearly 50 years of big game hunting I've seen a great many animals killed with these bullets and have never seen even the slightest hint of bullet failure with the Nosler Partitions.

-Mike-

Jeff did you miss this?

Charlie

Last edited by sturgeon; 01/26/09. Reason: here's what I've noticed in 35 yr.s hunting , with apologies to JB...you put the pointy in first, and you aim at the front half

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, this dead horse is getting the crap beat out of it!

I do have to say that I've seen some bunk on this thread though. Jack O'Connor once wrote, "During what period of the animal's death did the bullet fail?"

Last edited by Dan360; 01/27/09.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.