Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by amx1047
Personally, I think it's gonna be worse than a depression.

Worse than a recession......yes........Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not!

There are still those here at the fire that feel secure at what they do, but the trickle down effect is likely to hit everyone before it's over!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by billhilly

The government shouldn�t �tax the hell� out of any business. That�s what causes these kind of problems in the first place.

I agree we shouldn't tax US companies so they can be competitive globally but I still say tax the hell out of companies who move off shores.

That is a fact, keep em here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Laid off? Been there, done that. Never fun or pleasant.

I think prayer is in order. Best of luck with all this.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hindsite
...Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not! ...
I guess I have a doomsday outlook on things. I think in 20yrs we will have become like Afghanistan with regards to our infrastructure. I think there'll be days when we will only have 4 or 5 hours electricity - or none at all. I think we'll have limited telephone service. Etc.

And I think a full out depression is imminent. How could it not be?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I agree we shouldn't tax US companies so they can be competitive globally but I still say tax the hell out of companies who move off shores.

US can not tax a company that is outside the US. I understand your emotion, but not possible. It is one of the main reason they move ... TAXES ...

Who gets hurt in this 'p**sing' contest between government and companies? The workers on the bottom.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. Hopping you find a better job.

..pick..
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I feel for you & anyone that is with out work or facing lay offs.
Older job seekers are going to have a very hard time finding any type of job. The more diversified your job skills the better are your chances of employment. Since you worked in purchasing you may know computer skills, bookkeeping, or even production if you coordinated with the manufacturing side of the business. My wife & I own a employment agency in the Washington, DC area. She runs the business, but I do a lot of the marketing & still work part time in my engineering business. As with many small businesses we are struggling & face financial disaster if the economy doesn't turn around. I believe we will begin to see a very gradual improvement by April if some sort of stimulus package is passed. I hope its not another massive give away but, a tax reduction for individuals & small businesses. If there is no panic & the administration reacts in a sensible manner we will come through this recession as we have others. I have great confidence in the ability of Americans to cope & thrive if given the chance.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Laid off? Been there, done that. Never fun or pleasant.

I think prayer is in order. Best of luck with all this.

Absolutely. I'm in perfect agreement.

Dono if you're a man of faith there, ehunter, but Mannlicher's suggestion is what's always worked for me. (I'm a software developer, so I get laid off twice every day before breakfast. Not really, but folks like me are constantly switching jobs as projects begin and finish.)

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by billhilly
Feeling for ya brother. I had it happen to me once. Ain’t nothing good about it.
Happened to me twice. No fun at all. It's why I'm not working for anybody but ME now..

Very best of luck in finding a new and better job..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
May your salary double.

Best of luck, sorry to hear it.

Jeff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hindsite
Personally, I think it's gonna be worse than a depression.

Worse than a recession......yes........Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not!

It all depends on how long and hard the State tries to fix it.

Given the differences between today and the 1930s (the flatly unbelievable national debt, for example, and the fact that the Fed can now freely inflate beyond the dreams of avarice and utterly destroy the dollar) the possibility certainly exists that this one could be much worse than the Great Depression, if the State keeps doing exactly all the things that brought on the Great Depression.

If it were to back off right now, though, and let all the troubled banks and corporations go bankrupt and have their assets bought up and their employees rehired by healthier competitors, we could begin the recovery in a month or two.

The most urgent thing we should do, right this minute, is to instantly abolish the Federal Reserve: lay off Ben Bernanke by 8:00am today.

The most important thing we should do, although it'd take a little longer, is repeal all legal tender laws, and perhaps amend the Constitution to prevent more from being passed.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Being laid off in tough economic times can be very unsettling.
Have had this happen to me twice during the 80's oil bust.
At times i dont know how i eeked by but i did and probably because i worked two jobs that didn't even pay what the job i got laid off from paid.
Right now with oil prices falling there are rumours of this possibly coming.
Who knows.
For all i know it could be top managements way of trying to get people running scared of their job.
I can see it already with a few of the in deep debt young ones and some older ones who have gotten themselves in more debt than they should have at their present age.
All of us in one way or another will be affected by this wreck of an economy this nation has fallen into.
To those laid off i wish you the very best because i know all to well how you feel.
Good luck.

Last edited by Texas Hunter; 01/28/09.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
let_me_in - +1 Been there twice.. Relax, re-charge, find a good head hunter and give it your best shot! Good luck ehunter!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I�ve been laid off many times (actually 8 times) due to company restructurings, bankruptcy, and reorganizations. It is no fun and I sympathize with anyone who finds themselves in the position, especially in the current econommic climate.

During the late '80's recession, it took me 2 years to find a position comparable to what I had lost (I filled in with short-term jobs with small companies, some of which I expected to fail and, consulting - anything to keep some cash coming in). Looking for a new job in a recession is tough work and you need to keep at it. Call everyone you know to keep in touch and learn of any planned hiring�s. Volunteer in your community to help others (and, keep the network open and be seen!).

Just keep you spirits up (yes, it's tough, but important) and keep turning over any rock you think might have something under it. Take anything that offers a paycheck to keep money coming in. Best wishes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ehunter
I was in purchasing in a high tech company that is probably going over seas.

That schitt just pizzes me off. I'd like to see the govt tax the hell out of any US company that takes jobs from Americans so they can pay an Asian $0.35 an hour.

Real sorry to hear about that man and I hope you find something shortly.

Amen brother.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...I guess I have a doomsday outlook on things....
Personally I don't necessarily think of it as 'doomsday' per sey, but rather as something I'd better be prepared for emotionally and physically. Just wanted to clarify that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not one to generally call for new "laws" but were I in charge companies that leave America for cheap labor would sell their products anywhere they want EXCEPT America. Some way or another they'd be barred.

And NAFTA and other such would disappear immediately.

It amazes me we support, bailout and rebuild everything and anything on the planet excetp ourselves. US government needs overthrown and that's all there is to it. They're doing this deliberately.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Plant taters and pray...not necessarily in that order...a job will come along...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear it but many more will soon be following. I am afraid we are in for several very tough years. Elections do have consequences. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very sorry to hear that ehunter. That is so very unfortunate and when you're on the receiving end of such an event (especially when having never been there before), it must be like a bad dream.

You will survive this and move on......it is what you must do. I'm glad to hear that you'll be GTG for awhile 'cuz that's the time you'll need to get yourself busy and motivated.

Best of luck and let us know how things are goin'............really.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
ehunter,

Hang in there. I had the same thing happen to me this past year. Take a week, or how ever long it takes you, to gather yourself. It will take some time to figure things out.

I talked to everybody I could think of, colleges, job services, old co-workers anybody I could think of to find work. Really though, I did better on my own.

It took all summer, but I found work...good work. I am better off all around than I was before. I make more money, work fewer hours, and get to spend more time with my kids. It couldn't have worked out any bettter.

Keep you head about yourself, and you nose to the want ads, and you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.