Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I always thought ED is more like a marketing gimmick than anything else. But it seems to work, and work really well. It is apparent when comparing non ED binoculars on a high contrasty object.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with a Pentax DCF SP and the new DCF ED. Both were brand new, both were 8X43's and looked so similar that I had to read the specs to tell which was which. Identical weights, etc.
As far as I could tell, the ED version was every bit as good as my Nikon LX 8X32 and 8X42 Leica BA. When I say "every bit as good," I'm refering to image sharpness, the ability to see the finest details.
There was a definite difference in both Pentax binoculars. I could find it every time I stacked them. But it took effort and several minutes to really see the difference. And I had to stack them to see it. E

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well I have very little bino knowledge, been using Nikon Monarch ATB 8/42 for about 2 years. I received the ZR 8/43 ED and did a comparison in the field. The ZR are definitely sharper, brighter and a pleasure to look through. The huge plus for me was focussing, the Nikons require constant rolling of the focus wheel, the ZR does not. I can pick up the ZR and bam, I am focussed on what I want to see. Sure, a little focussing is required if objects are at vastly different ranges but nothing compared to the Nikon. The Nikon is a decent bino for an average Joe like me but the ZR will now be my hunting optic, I am very impressed.

R
R
juliang,

Are the Zen Ray any bigger or heavier than your monarchs?

I have seen the weight published but not the dimensions.

And, how long did it take from the time you ordered to the delivery?

I am having a hard time decieding between the Zen Ray 8x43 and the new viper 6 x 32.............

Thanks in advance,

Red

Last edited by Redeye171; 02/04/09.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Redeye171,

The ZEN ED is noticeably bigger than the Monarch. It's about 1/ 1/2 inches longer and some 6 ounces heavier.

juliang has the Monarch ZEN comparison correct. I have a Monarch and agree with him on all points. The $200 Zen Ray ZRS whacks the Monarch too.

You seem to have chosen very different binoculars there. The Viper would be nice for light packing and close in work and the ZEN will excel in general use and in lots of long range scanning. So if you have a particular use for the glass, fill the use you need with the glass you buy.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

R
R
I primarily bow hunt deer and turkey with the occasional late season muzzleload hunt.

Have you any experience with the new viper 6x32 or the new diamondback 7x36?

Last edited by Redeye171; 02/04/09.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Redeye171
juliang,

Are the Zen Ray any bigger or heavier than your monarchs?

I have seen the weight published but not the dimensions.

And, how long did it take from the time you ordered to the delivery?

I am having a hard time decieding between the Zen Ray 8x43 and the new viper 6 x 32.............

Thanks in advance,

Red

ZEN weighs about 27oz, but feels like 24oz. I don't know an explanation, but it does not feel heavy at all. Mine was shipped out on Saturday and I got it on the following Tuesday. That's pretty darn good with free shipping.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
although the binoculars are listed on the web site, neither the viper 6 x 32 or diamondback 7 x 36 have been released to the public as of yet. You can order, but the ship date hasnt arrived yet. Supposed to be available soon.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The new Vortex Diamondback won't show up until a little later. I do have a 7x36 preordered from Doug. For archery and muzzle loader, and for that matter rifle shot range, I'd go with one of the sub 8x compacts. I know the 6.5x32 Fury is good. How much better the 6x Viper may or may not be remains to be seen. Also how the 7x36 Diamondback rates to the other Vortex remains to be seen as well. The Swift Eaglet 7x36 has to be in that mix too. FWIW, that is one of my "keeper" binoculars.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A bit off topic but I learned a little bit about the bushnell ed's that will be coming out in a few months. They are being built on the legend line with the magnesium sp? frame. It sounds like the 10x42 will be the first run and the 2 big points of interest at least if the glass is good like the Zen and promasters are: 1. 23 oz. +or- and 2. $300 cost.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yes, saw some discussion on this board before. By looking at the spec, it is more closely resembled Bushnell Excursion with its weight and field of view, with ED lens addition, than current Legend line. The question is whether it is open hinge like Excursion EX or close hinge one. BTW, old Legend is made in Japan. I remember it was mentioned somewhere that the new one is made in China.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by eyeguy
A bit off topic but I learned a little bit about the bushnell ed's that will be coming out in a few months. They are being built on the legend line with the magnesium sp? frame. It sounds like the 10x42 will be the first run and the 2 big points of interest at least if the glass is good like the Zen and promasters are: 1. 23 oz. +or- and 2. $300 cost.

Very true. Physical length, weight and cost are going to be some of the interesting sell points of these ED binoculars. I am just as eager as the rest of you...though it may take a bit longer for me to report as I am gunning for the 8x42s instead.

Frank
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hawker, I would have thought the excursion line as well but the guy from bushnell said legend and I believe closed bridge. He also said that the raised rubber armor coating on the past legend binos is now recessed into the frame.!?or as least appears to be. He said they look and feel great as the heavy raised armor on the legend was a common dislike in that line.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with a Pentax DCF SP and the new DCF ED. Both were brand new, both were 8X43's and looked so similar that I had to read the specs to tell which was which. Identical weights, etc.
As far as I could tell, the ED version was every bit as good as my Nikon LX 8X32 and 8X42 Leica BA. When I say "every bit as good," I'm refering to image sharpness, the ability to see the finest details.
There was a definite difference in both Pentax binoculars. I could find it every time I stacked them. But it took effort and several minutes to really see the difference. And I had to stack them to see it. E

I should have a pair of Pentax DCF ED here soon. It will be good to put it side by side with the ZEN.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
just what we needed. another chinese made binocular !!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Closed hinge. See the pictures

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-10x42-legend-ultra-hd-binoculars-rainguard.html

And branded Legend so I would expect it to be above the current Legend which is a very good bin (deals with difficult stray light as well as my Zeiss FL ... that rather threw me). I expect it to be a couple of notches above the Excursion.

If you are spec comparing it weight the same as the Elite wink

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Lorin
although the binoculars are listed on the web site, neither the viper 6 x 32 or diamondback 7 x 36 have been released to the public as of yet. You can order, but the ship date hasnt arrived yet. Supposed to be available soon.

I know it is a matter of personal choice. Does someone take 6x on hunting? All my buddies use 10x or 12x.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have (and use) Leupold 6 x 30's for archery hunting, as well as some Minox 8 x 33's. Higher power bino's (those 10x and above) arent of much use for the type of hunting I do in the areas I go.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Lorin
I have (and use) Leupold 6 x 30's for archery hunting, as well as some Minox 8 x 33's. Higher power bino's (those 10x and above) arent of much use for the type of hunting I do in the areas I go.

I have been settling down at 8x lately. 12x is just too much for me. Maybe I should try some lower powered one and see if I will miss anything.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.