-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect the .338 and .300 RCM Hawkeye carbines make your point.

Unfortunately...

Because I like the configuration, and would like it chambered for some additional cartridges.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Why is it so hard to comprehend that the largest case (capacity wise)gets the highest velocity all things equal..That is pretty basic gundome 101..In this particular case the difference is not enough to disturb me or whatever animal I shoot..

I really like the Ruger cartridges and the .416 Ruger I built was an outstanding rifle that equaled my 416 Remington in every way and I sure wouldn't want either of them too light and handy cuz they will thump you around a tad if too light. Mine 416 Ruger had a 20 inch tube and my 416 Rem. a 26 inch tube, but I shot them both at 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet because that is where the 416 calibers handle the bullets best as far as I'm concerned..

I am not going to run out and sell my nice English made 375 H&H just to buy a Ruger and I won't buy a Ruger just to duplicate my 375 H&H, but I think the Ruger 375 is an outstanding caliber.

I say I won't, but probably should qualify that with a"never say never" because I am the ultimate gun whore..I will about sell or trade any gun, horse or dog, and the wife and kids don't always feel too secure either but with them I have the fear factor to deal with and have had my storm and strife for 55 years now! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee's this was a hard read and with The outlaw Josy Wales on. that hard rock candy is not for eating, its for looking thru. You guys are on a roll. But it's what makes the Fire the best such board on the net. As for the Ruger 375 African, its a very well thought out item, and its what a lot of hunters told Ruger they wanted, so they made it. Gee we are not happy even when we get what we want. Oh well, wait till we can only shoot air rifles and only after we get the anal probed first.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
While I was at the Ruger booth at SCI I was talking to Randall Pence who, rather rudely I might add, dropped me mid sentence to pander to a Namibian pro-hunter and offer him a free rifle as soon as one could be secured from their in-country distributor. Now THAT is how you get your product out there and talked about.

FWIW the Hawkeye African I handled at SCI was a pretty darn sweet rig. Now to see the double rifle that Randall said was in the works (due out as soon as they figure out how to build an affordable double shotgun, let alone double rifle).

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
FWIW the Hawkeye African I handled at SCI was a pretty darn sweet rig. Now to see the double rifle that Randall said was in the works (due out as soon as they figure out how to build an affordable double shotgun, let alone double rifle).

Now THAT would set my shorts on fire!

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan

I stopped by their SCI booth also. Did you handle the 416 Ruger in the Alaskan setup? I managed to elbow my way in there. Sure didn't like that "rubber eraser" feel of the stock. Not sure of the Ruger rep's name (might have been Pence) but he told me that the wood stocked (African) version of the 416 isn't going to be available until they figure out how to keep the wood from splitting.

As for the rude behavior of getting dropped or ignored, just figured those guys are pretty much exhausted after multiple days and multiple weeks of those shows back to back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockHopper
Sure didn't like that "rubber eraser" feel of the stock.

Bingo!

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Not sure of the Ruger rep's name (might have been Pence) but he told me that the wood stocked (African) version of the 416 isn't going to be available until they figure out how to keep the wood from splitting.

All they have to do is buy good wood, inlet it properly, and bed the action. Unless there is some inherent design flaw in the angled front action screw that promotes stock splitting...? I have six Ruger 77's, from .250-3000 to .375 Ruger, so I rather clearly like them. But I am not so sure that the angled screw was one of Bill Sr.'s greatest insights.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I agree with Muledeer, Rugers should be glass bedded for sure IMO..I like the thinking behind the angled screw in that it pulls the recoil lug into the wood, but but if there is a gap there then the wood takes a pounding and splits...glass is a pretty darn good cure all for most rifle problems.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been reading this thread with interest as I am thinking of getting my boy one when he graduates college as he has it on his mind to hit up Africa for a hunt before he gets married.
Read someone say the Ruger has "a better powder capacity to bore diameter ratio".
Gotta ask. Who's criteria gives a cartridge that advantage?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FVA
Been reading this thread with interest as I am thinking of getting my boy one when he graduates college as he has it on his mind to hit up Africa for a hunt before he gets married.
Read someone say the Ruger has "a better powder capacity to bore diameter ratio".
Gotta ask. Who's criteria gives a cartridge that advantage?
.........I stated that! And here are the two that give it that "criteria!"..........Please see,,,,,,,,

"shootingtimes.com"
"video" section
click on "view all"
"cartridges" section
arrow or scroll down until you see,
"Big Caliber Hornady Cartridges" and then hit play!

Turn your volume up and listen closely in between the shots!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link. I like Ruger rifles and think they have the 375R packaged nicely, as many here have stated. I think the accolades of efficiency and better powder capacity to bore diameter ratio bestowed in that video are just marketing hype though. I'll give them that by whatever shorter length the 375R is than the 375 H&H, the 375R has that much more usable barrel at the same lengths(grin)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FVA
Thanks for the link. I like Ruger rifles and think they have the 375R packaged nicely, as many here have stated. I think the accolades of efficiency and better powder capacity to bore diameter ratio bestowed in that video are just marketing hype though. I'll give them that by whatever shorter length the 375R is than the 375 H&H, the 375R has that much more usable barrel at the same lengths(grin)
........Your welcome for that link!........As far as marketing "hype" is concerned? The 375 Ruger either is more efficient with better powder capacity to bore diameter, or it isn`t. One of the two.

If you look at the 375 R`s case volume vs its case length dimension and compare that to the H&H`s case volume and case length, plus the fact that the Ruger can match and even exceed slightly 24" barreled H&H ballistics from a 20" barrel; how is that not better efficiency in terms of ballistic performance, given the same bore diameter, while using 4" less in barrel length in the process??

Some may equate "efficient" as getting more velocity by using the same or less powder. But that is not the type of "efficiency" the Ruger round has over the H&H.

Hype or hyped up, means an exaggeration of facts or an overblown exaggeration of the facts.

It is automatic for some to assume that when promoting new products, marketeers use "marketing hype," exaggerate, convey falsehoods to the public in order to make more sales. No doubt, some have done that and wrongly so.

But I challenge anyone here on this forum, to rather than just assume "marketing hype" in order to explain away the virtues of the 375 Ruger, to instead please come forward with hard factual evidence that does prove "marketing hype" deception or exaggeration by Hornady, by Ruger, by Boddington and others.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Using that logic - then the 375 Ultra Mag must be more "efficient" than the 375 Ruger.

Why? Because it can equal the velocity of the Ruger with a shorter barrel - due to its extra capacity.

And the 378 Weatherby is still more "efficient" still - for the same reason.

Right?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Using that logic - then the 375 Ultra Mag must be more "efficient" than the 375 Ruger.

Why? Because it can equal the velocity of the Ruger with a shorter barrel - due to its extra capacity.

And the 378 Weatherby is still more "efficient" still - for the same reason.

Right?
......Technically speaking, you are correct! But then again, the comparison was between the Ruger and the H&H.

The 375 Ultra mag and the 378 Wby have longer cases and therefore more case capacity and as such more velocity. In terms of velocity vs the amount in the grains of powder used to get that velocity, the 375 Ruger might just be the best in that dept amongst the four.

But as we all know, the 375 RUM and the 378 Wby come with a very punishing price in terms of higher recoil and in rifle price too. Not so much the cost of a 375 RUM in the XCR, but rather the cost for a 378 Wby rifle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd argue about saying the 375 Ruger might be the best, in terms of powder burning efficiency.

It takes about 6% more powder to achieve less than 2% more bullet speed - at the muzzle. I can throw rocks as fast as that difference.

"Efficiency" - in a 375 caliber magnum?

Gotta be the venerable old 375 H&H.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I'd argue about saying the 375 Ruger might be the best, in terms of powder burning efficiency.

It takes about 6% more powder to achieve less than 2% more bullet speed - at the muzzle. I can throw rocks as fast as that difference.

"Efficiency" - in a 375 caliber magnum?

Gotta be the venerable old 375 H&H.
..........You may wish to argue that and can, but is it true?? Did you do any research or are you basing your opinions,,on emotion?

Let`s see what my `08 Hodgdon Reloading Manual says which I`m looking at right now shall we?

Here`s some Hodgdon data based on both using a 24" barrel (max recomended loads).

270 gr. 375 Ruger 24" barrel

H 4350........83.5 gr = 2783 fps,,,,,33.32 fps per grain
H 414.........80.5 gr = 2757 fps,,,,,34.24 fps per grain

270 gr. 375 H&H 24" barrel

H 4350........83.0 gr = 2694 fps,,,,,32.45 fps per grain
H 414.........78.0 gr = 2576 fps,,,,,33.02 fps per grain

Note: The two above powders used are the only two listed at the same time for the 270 grainer in both the H&H and for the Ruger.

250 gr 375 Ruger 24" barrel

H 4350........82.5 gr = 2834 fps,,,,,,34.35 fps per grain
H 414.........80.3 gr = 2838 fps,,,,,,35.34 fps per grain

250 gr 375 H&H 24" barrel

H 4350........83.0 gr. = 2733 fps,,,,,,32.92 fps per grain
H 414.........82.5 gr. = 2746 fps,,,,,,33.28 fps per grain

The above are just a two examples using H4350 and H414. If you go down the list and check all equal bullet weights using all the same powders for both cartridges and do the same math, you`ll find that in fact, the 375 Ruger in terms of fps per grains used, is more efficient by a small margin!! Sorry!!!

The `ol 375 H&H is venerable in terms of early 20th century design (1912) and its still a great round. But if you take a look at the #`s and do some research, you`ll find that the 375 Ruger for its casing, is a better designed 21st century round.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same pressure?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like the 375 Ruger enough that I am selling my LH Win 70 375 H&H. I got tired of the case trimming, and yes my dies were set to the chamber. The LH Ruger SS Laminate stock seems better suited to our weather also.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FVA
Same pressure?
.......Nope! The H&H operates at less pressure, while The Ruger operates at 60K to 62K. The WSMs and other shorter mags operate at the higher pressures too.

I don`t consider higher operating pressure a design flaw. The 375 RUM operates at about 63K. So does the 338 RUM and the 300 RUM. The 300 Win even operates as high as 63K. Some loadings in the 30-06 go as high as 58-59K.

Shorter mags and cartridges like the 375 Ruger and those above, are supposed to operate that high because they are designed to do so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just read the article, first class IMO. Phil knows the story alright! I'm up for either a 375 or 416 Ruger, cant decide grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.