Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Randy's fan club is out in force as usual.

Blaine did not ask if you liked Barnes bullets

It has nothing to do with liking them.

Blaine made this statement.

That problem was mostyl fixed with the TSX and probably completely fixed with the TTSX.

"Completely fixed"

We know for fact this is not true.

I think I know Blaine and that he wants things to work every time. The TTSX does not, I answered a questioning statement by Blaine and gave him a qualified reason.

Also, this is between us, Blaine and I, who happen to be friends, who have broken bread together and have bounced ideas off each other for some time now.

I highly respect Blaine and his experience.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
I think I know Blaine and that he wants things to work every time. The TTSX does not...

How do you know this?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How do you know this?

How do YOU know it does?

Also, as I gave a factual statement in regards to
Barnes not being able to buy good copper every time.

Their bullets are only as good as the copper they buy.

Last edited by SU35; 01/30/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never made a claim that it does. YOU, however made a claim and lack evidence to back it up, with the exception of ONE example of ONE bullet that didn't expand properly. Well, if that's the case, there is NO bullet in existence that works properly because EVERY bullet has failed to expand at one time or another.

I'm not saying that it's perfect. We need to be careful when we start to make assumptions and claims without any real supporting evidence.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I cant speak on the 150's but since your asking about big critters, I put a 165 TSX out of 300 WSM through a moose, its still flying!...grin

What did the wound channel look like?

IC B2

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, more guidance. Assume every bullet works like it's supposed to every time. Yes, we know all bullets fail sometimes, but that is a different discussion.

Compare the performance of a perfectly functioning 168 TSX or TTSX vs a 150 TTSX or TSX on elk.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys said the same crap about the TSX "fixing" the X when they first came out. Then we have Brad recover a unexpanded TTSX. The question is did the TTSX fix the TSX non expansion issues? Or where the issues not a design issue at all, but one of quality control of raw materials?
I dunno, and really don't care as I don't have an agenda either way. However, as a rule I don't like being a beta tester. And I dont like half azzed products that don't work as intended.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/30/09.
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay I'm officially banning talk of bullet failure.

How does the 150 TSX/TTSX compare to the 168 TSX/TTSX on elk?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Judging by other Barnes bullets the hollow points are probably drilled to the same depth on the 168 and 150. Thus the resulting frontal area and ultimately wound channel will be about the same with a slight edge in penetration going to the heavier bullet and a slight edge in initial wound channel volume going to the faster 150gr bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Randy's fan club is out in force as usual.

Dude you dont know the first [bleep] thing about what fan clubs I am in or not in, nor what bullets I use or dont use and which guns I use em in. So please dont pool me into chit! I have killed critters of all sizes and shapes with a lot of different bullets in a lot of different guns in a lot of different states. The thread isn't about Nosler Partitions vs Barnes TSX's or any other bullet for that matter. Why must you guys insist on this bullchit on every [bleep] thread about bullets? Its as if many of you are turning multiple forum sctions into the same bullchit that was going on with the optics forum and the E vs everyone or Leupold vs everythinge else. Just [bleep] drop it already, if you dont want to kill chit with a TSX, dont. Arguing about whether or not Barnes has fixed anything, in any specific bullet, is strictly your opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blaine

What did the wound channel look like?

Cant say I really looked at it Blaine, it was low light and cold out, moose went maybe 50 yards on a dead run after being hit and then crashed and died. Small hole going in and just slightly smaller than a golf ball size hole going out, broke a rib on both entry and exit. This was evident because I kept both rib cages with meat to take home intact. Shot was about 80 yards.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I haven't used the 150gr TTSX on elk but I did kill my 2008 bull with a 165gr TSX out of my 300WM. This load has a MV of 3275fps. The bull was broadside at about 150 yards and the bullet hit him in the shoulder area. The ribcage on the entry side had about a 1 1/2 inch hole in it and the ribcage on the exit side had about a 1/2 inch hole in it and there were two broken petals under the hide and the rest of the bullet went through making a tiny slit in the hide for an exit wound.

I was butchering him myself and the weather was getting bad so I didn't do a thorough autopsy. This was a mature 5x6 herd bull (the fifth point on the '5' side was broken off) and at the shot I could tell he was hurting. He went about 50 yards.

I guess the bullet did its job and I'll be using this combo again as it is very accurate and flat shooting.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Why must you guys insist on this bullchit on every [bleep] thread about bullets?"

Yep. Want to start at 200+ response post? Here's a sample: "I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience as me. I used bullet "___" and it failed to (you choose): expand/penetrate/kill the animal/retain enough weight/didn't leave a blood trail/the animal ran off/the exit hole was a pencil....etc. My friend uses bullet Y and never had that problem. I think that bullet X is a crappy bullet and I'll never use it again..."

Now sit back, grab some popcorn, and watch the brawl ensue.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

So please dont pool me into chit!

Thank you for your comments and I should have realized your a
person who has emotional issues, sorry man.

I have killed critters of all sizes and shapes with a lot of different bullets in a lot of different guns in a lot of different states

Wow, cool!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob33
"Why must you guys insist on this bullchit on every [bleep] thread about bullets?"

Yep. Want to start at 200+ response post? Here's a sample: "I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience as me. I used bullet "___" and it failed to (you choose): expand/penetrate/kill the animal/retain enough weight/didn't leave a blood trail/the animal ran off/the exit hole was a pencil....etc. My friend uses bullet Y and never had that problem. I think that bullet X is a crappy bullet and I'll never use it again..."

Now sit back, grab some popcorn, and watch the brawl ensue.

I hear ya, its just that normally this forum is a pretty cool place to bullchit, but here lately the nonsense with Leupold scopes and Barnes bullets has gotten really [bleep] old. And to make matters worse, its the same guys on every damm thread running their mouths. Even Dober and Brad who actually had questionable performance from a TSX this year were more cordial than the usual peanut gallery that spends 8 posts picking a fight and never even answer the OP's actual question!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I think we have a new record here. Looks like this thread went sideways in less than two pages. Congratulations.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Sounds like the 150 would work on elk then.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bill,

Thanks.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Blaine the 150 TSX or TTSX will work very well indeed on Elk. The difference in penetration won't be a penny's worth of difference..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You're welcome.

I guess I should say that I shot my 2005 bull (another mature one i.e. large body) three times through the chest with my .338WM using 225gr A-frames and he never even flinched. He just stood at the edge of the timber looking for what had poked him in the side! He turned around and headed into the woods and I thought crap! I've missed this guy three times and have lost him. I got down to where I last saw him and he was dead just inside the trees. He had three exit wounds about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter and his shoulders were in really bad shape. I didn't get much meat off of them.

Even though the bullet I shot my last year's bull with didn't make much of an exit wound and a couple of petals broke off, it did a job on him as he was really hurting immediately. I guess when a fairly light bullet going over 3,000fps hits a very large animal's hide, meat and bones, strange things can happen.

Last edited by Bill.338; 01/30/09.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 345dl, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.