Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
BobinNH,
I think the Brown stock is a lot lighter than Terry's.
Butch

Oh, so you wanna fight too. grin

Terry

Butch: Suspect you are correct;but nowhere near as nice looking smile

JB: I would think those velocities are very good for a 23" barrel.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
He is building a .300 win mag SS as we speak. I am going with the standard weight legend stock. I am going with 26 inch barrel to get max out of the .300 mag. Are you having him blue print the gun? I would also go with a new extractor. Talley rings would be perfect. Are you having him smooth out the saftey? How about adjusting the trigger?

I am having him completely work the action, trigger, etc., over for me. He has done some other work for me (fixing others mistakes) and I have been very pleased.

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by TC1
Here's mine. It makes critters feel very nostalgic grin

[Linked Image] The quarter rib has been removed since this picture was taken.

Terry

That gun is beautiful! Coveting is a sin - so I had better stop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm doing the same thing, picked up the 7 Mag Classic before Christmas, haven't decided yet on what I'm doing for a barrel yet, but have the VXIII 2.5-8 already on it, don't shoot the donor right? For sure it will have a wood stock on it, probably start off with the factory original, but sure would like to upgrade sometime. I know one thing, the factory 26" barrel sure is long compared to the 22's I have in the safe.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rather than use a bbl makers number system I would suggest that you specify the muzzle diameter. The usual rule for a light sporter is .250" plus the bore diameter. For a 30 this is .560 which is what the pre-64 Fwt and German Wby 300's measured. Heavy would be .600. Many of the high end makers use .575-.580 for their big 30's.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
Rather than use a bbl makers number system I would suggest that you specify the muzzle diameter. The usual rule for a light sporter is .250" plus the bore diameter. For a 30 this is .560 which is what the pre-64 Fwt and German Wby 300's measured. Heavy would be .600. Many of the high end makers use .575-.580 for their big 30's.

The #3 on mine is .625 I would have been been happy with .600.

Chessy, that's exactly how I did mine. It sat in the factory wood stock for the 1st yer until I got a little extra $$$ for the stock.

Terry

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Nice gun! Who made the stock?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It came from Great American Gunstock Co. It was in the "bargin bin."

Terry

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Oh, so you wanna fight too.

I don't wanna fight, but I would not have over a #2 contour myself on a 300 H&H and it would be at least 24 inches long. One of my 300 H&Hs is a Colt Coltsman on an FN Mauser action with a pretty skinny barrel that is 24 inches long. If I remember correctly the barrel is about .560 at the muzzle. It wears a Weaver V4.5 steel scope and is right around 8.5 pounds, a perfect weight for a 300 H&H in my book.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good build....

I built myself a 300 H&H in 1954, and I have hunted all over the world with it..With heavy 200 gr. Noslers it will duplicate all the 300s but the 300 WBY and a few of the new ones that bang too loud and kick too hard..

It comes very close indeed to duplicating the 300 WBY but only with the heavy bullets as with that long neck you don't intrude on powder space like some do..It feeds good as most know, and it always extracts, it is impossible to stick one of those big tapered torpedoes..

My only load after years of experimenting is the 200 gr. Nosler a 3074 FPS with some old Army Surplus 4831 and I can get almost 3000 FPS with todays IMR-4831, and may be able to duplicate it with short core but have not tried..The 220 gr. Woodleihs are really effective but I have not used them in quite sometime.

My gun is a pre 64 Win. M-70 30-06 that was opened up in the action and I installed an original 300 H&H M-70 barrel..It is a true tack driver and wears the first custom stock that I ever built. That was my senior year in high school (1954)..It has almost no blue left on it, and I have been accused of owning a SS rifle, God forbid. The stock is scarred and looks like driftwood, the checkering is chipped and worn to some degree. Every nick, gouge, scrape, and scratch has a story and a fond memory, It still supports an old turning purple 2x7x33 Leupold in old Redfield rings and bases...I wouldn't even consider refinishing it, and if I did my kids would have me shot.

Love the 300 H&H...

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Larry, that's what I've been saying. We aren't going to fight. Besides, I don't think I could take you or Butch. I might try Bob though grin

Terry

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I dug out my 300 H&H today and took a quick photo of it. I also weighed it and as it sits in the photo it weighs eight pounds six ounces. The barrel mikes .560 on the nose at the muzzle. This to me is a perfect match for a 300 H&H with a 24 inch barrel. Others mileage may vary. wink

[Linked Image]

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking old rifle. How is the recoil? I see it doesn't have a pad.

Terry

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
MD, since you've done the experiment, do you believe now that the explanation for some phenomena (eg, 23" bbls that shoot as 'fast' as 24" bbls) is just simply 'magic'? 23" barrels need no rational explanation IMO - there just cool that's why deciding between 22" & 24" is impossible! So much for all that scientific stuff. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by TC1
How is the recoil? I see it doesn't have a pad.

Terry

Terry

The recoil is a little stiff but actually very manageable, definitely less than my 338 or 375. Felt recoil would probably be even less if the butt were a little bigger as it is quite small. I have thought about restocking it but I may just refinish it to look factory original instead as it is not a real common rifle.

Larry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 16,936 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,179
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.