TTSX, Banana bullets.

Bob: Is that like a "tourist bullet".....? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well it's 5 degrees here and there's not much to do!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I took my only Elk with a 140 Tipped TSX from a 7 Wby @ 3400 fps engaged at 60 yards. THe bullet struck the critter on the front right shoulder, crushed it, continued to the vitals, mushed them, exited the inside right groin (?), rentered the right ham and exited the rump. The Elk staggered thirty yards and fell over. As far as I know, the bullet is up there with George Jetson somewhere.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bill,

Did you get my PM?

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bob: Is that like a "tourist bullet".....?

Hehehe,

No man, the tourist bullets work better!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I took my only Elk with a 140 Tipped TSX from a 7 Wby @ 3400 fps engaged at 60 yards. THe bullet struck the critter on the front right shoulder, crushed it, continued to the vitals, mushed them, exited the inside right groin (?), rentered the right ham and exited the rump. The Elk staggered thirty yards and fell over. As far as I know, the bullet is up there with George Jetson somewhere.

Yep, they kill very well, after all the "so called failure" have all been recovered from Very Dead Animals

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the bullets that I, Brad and Chuck Nelson found were in animals the animals were only dead after more ammo was directed their way.

I know for sure that the one that I had fail this year could of easily never been recovered and the fact that we got lucky and recovered it doesn't to my way of thinking change it from anything but a bullet failure. I am fairly sure that Chuck and Brad would agree with me on such a thing.

Bottom line for me, I've seen a lot of game taken with the TSX (most likely as much or more than most out there). When they open they do their work very well, just like about any other bullet out there. But, when they don't open then one can easily have issues, some times we get lucky and hammer the critter down and I would imagine that there are more than a few times when people (and the critter) haven't gotten lucky and the animal has gotten away. May well be that there is more of this going on than we know of and if the critters had been recovered people would of found out?

The TSX is an excellent bullet when it opens and does it's stuff. But, there is no denying the fact that from time to time it doesn't open up. This type of thing comes up often enough for me to go hmm...?
To me it is unacceptable performance (for that bullet not to open) whether we get poop house lucky and find or put the game down or not.

Just my thoughts, not saying anyone else is wrong, just different is all.

Have a super Saturday all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Blaine
Bill,

Did you get my PM?

Yes I did, sorry.

Last edited by Bill.338; 01/31/09.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
Bob: Is that like a "tourist bullet".....?

Hehehe,

No man, the tourist bullets work better!

grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without any question I'd use a Tourist Bullet any day over the TTSX. In my case I like the Speer Hotcore. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dats a blue collar bullet though...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
True... what was I thinking?!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Dats a blue collar bullet though...grin

Dober

Blue Collar Bullets are the ones that do all the work but don't get any of the credit.

The TTSX is a White Collar Bullet... you know, the young, flashy, overpaid, know-it-all MBA types who've ruined our country!

A Tourist Bullet is just a Blue Collar bullet taken on an out of state hunting trip grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reload 150 Core-Lokts for elk. Reading this they perhaps must be placed below the "blue" bullets. Black and blue perhaps?. Elk don't seem to konw this and die anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always hear people say that "when they work, they work very well, but when they fail, they fail miserably"

Is there a bullet in existence that this statement doesn't apply to?
I don't think it's just the TSX. I'm not a fanatical Barnes fan, although I know they're out there, but I get sick of hearing extremist comments from those who are equally fanatical anti-Barnes zealots. Let's just keep it real guys! The TSX is a good bullet. So is the partition. So is the A-frame, and so on. When they work, they work well. When they fail, they may or may not kill the animal. That's life. Luckily I've never had a bullet fail, so they're ALL good bullets to me. I just choose to use the TSX primarily for my big game hunting. Nothing wrong with the others though, if that's what you wanna use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's more than a few people with a lot of experience with a variety of bullets who have said basically the same thing you just said....until they've been burned a time or three by Barnes product. I don't know what it is about these copper bullets that makes one feel the way they feel when it happens; perhaps it the fact that they work spectacularly when they work, and failure is so far the other way. In any case it doesn't seem to be the same sense that one has about failures in other ways. And you won't "get it" until it gets you. It's a confidence thing that way I see it. But I also understand the reasoning behind game laws which require expanding bullets.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
While the bullets that I, Brad and Chuck Nelson found were in animals the animals were only dead after more ammo was directed their way.

I know for sure that the one that I had fail this year could of easily never been recovered and the fact that we got lucky and recovered it doesn't to my way of thinking change it from anything but a bullet failure. I am fairly sure that Chuck and Brad would agree with me on such a thing.

Bottom line for me, I've seen a lot of game taken with the TSX (most likely as much or more than most out there). When they open they do their work very well, just like about any other bullet out there. But, when they don't open then one can easily have issues, some times we get lucky and hammer the critter down and I would imagine that there are more than a few times when people (and the critter) haven't gotten lucky and the animal has gotten away. May well be that there is more of this going on than we know of and if the critters had been recovered people would of found out?

The TSX is an excellent bullet when it opens and does it's stuff. But, there is no denying the fact that from time to time it doesn't open up. This type of thing comes up often enough for me to go hmm...?
To me it is unacceptable performance (for that bullet not to open) whether we get poop house lucky and find or put the game down or not.

Just my thoughts, not saying anyone else is wrong, just different is all.

Have a super Saturday all!

Dober

Amen. Couldn't have expressed it better myself!!

I'll be a little more blunt though. When the chips are down and there's elk to be shot, there's a Partition up the snout.

Wayne

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just for reference, dont know that much about the TSX. I killed an elk with one a few years ago. Bang flop at 200 yards. However, a freind of mine has killed a bull everytime he draws a tag. All of them have been bang flops, or within 20 yards, with a 150gr factory loaded CLs out of his 7mm RM. I think what killed them quickly was that he either shot them through the neck or through the spine, and not so much the bullet type.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Look, you buffoon, moron, knuckleheads I am proud to call friends............ grin

I told you guys I was not intersted in a pissing match about TSX failures. What part of that did you not understand!? Do I need to stand you at attention and yell it in your face!? How can I make this more clear!?

Take your BS pissing match about TXS failures somewhere else. I am not interested.

BTW, for those of who who tried to answer my question, thanks.

What I want to know is how the 30 cal, 150 TSX/TTSX at an MV of 3000-3100 fps performs on elk, and I told you to assume it would exapnd properly. (Something else you apparrently didn't understand.) My main concern is is this bullet heavy enough to reliably penetrate elk shoulders?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.