-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Has anybody loaded their own shells using biodegradable or photodegradable wads? If so, what components did you use and how did they work for you?

Thanks,

tq

No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A long time ago all are shells were reloaded with biodegradable components, paper hulls and fiber and cardboard wads. It was difficult to get the wad collume the correct height as there were only a few sizes of wads and sometimes you had to cut wads in half. Wad pressure had to be very consistant or you would crush the wad collums to a different height and crimps would come out terrible. Herters and Alcan wads were the only ones I can remember for sure I think Winchester made some also. You also needed to have a goood suply of wad guides for you reloader as the tight fitting wads would tear them up pretty fast. It was the only game in town so we lived with it. Factory target loads were very expensive then compared today.

erich

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ah, talking to myself again.

Ballistic Products Inc. sent me this pdf file with some loads. It looks like they are recommending fiber wads over the powder, followed by some nitro cards, the shot, then an overshot card.

FWIW

tq

Attached Images
277934-Fiber Wad Loads 04.txt (0 Bytes, 18 downloads)

No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dumazuri

We used to put a nitro card over the powder then the fiber wad, sometimes with large shot a thin nitro or hard card over the fiber wad to keep the shot from imbedding in the wad.
the over shot wad is only needed if your using roll crimps or your haveing trouble getting the folded crimps tight , as I mentioned not compressing the wad colume with the same pressure each time causes the wad colume to be different heights and leaves more or less space for the shot. As for powder we used PB and RED DOT.

erich

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Erich -

Thanks for the tips. I'll try this out and post the results.

Thanks again,

tq

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.