Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
GOOD:
Rivers West Jacket: Forget wich one it is though lol. Quiet and very waterproof, But WAY to warm for still hunting. Awesome on a duckblind though.

Panasonic TZ-5 :Awesome camera, that even I can use

Iffy: Badlands 2200. Good pack, very stout and well thought out but its a lil big and bulky for the direction of my interests.

BAD: Defective deer tag, never could get it hooked onto a set of horns.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
GOOD: Leupold rx2 rangefinder. Makes my 30 06 way better (for me) than any faster caliber and trying to estimate range.

Wearing my driving glasses while hunting. I put it off too long.
Make shift shooting sticks from 2 walking sticks and a tie tap.

Merino wool undies.

BAD: Camo rangefinder, too easy to set down and walk away. Tie a orange ribbon to it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GOOD:

My new, lighter Rivers West jacket. Wore it in an all-day downpour and stayed dry, and as long as I vented it with the pit zips it was "breathable enough" in Colorado;

Kimber .325 WSM flat out rocked;

Those Outdoor Research Windstopper gloves I've mentioned before;

Minox 13x56 binocs.

The $75 pack frame I bought at GIJoes. Was worried I should have bought a "premium" one but it handled my elk fine.

Leica LRF 1200.

Apple iPhone was great; kept me fully connected with internet and email anywhere I had signal. Allowed me to be gone, but still keep a couple real estate deals going. I guess this could be seen as both good AND bad <g>.

BAD:

Nikon tripod adaptor for above Minox;

Found out, with the shorter RW jacket, that my RW pants leak at the crotch zipper. They are currently back at the mothership.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GOOD:

CZ Ringneck SxS 28 gauge 26 inch. Shoots where I look and still fun to carry at the end of the day. Looks fantastic too.

BAD:

Defective buck tags.
Missed shot at longbearded tom turkey.
Prices of 28 gauge ammo. smile

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The good.

A bunch guys and gals here, when I needed you most.

The bad

I can't think of anything.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Westcoaster: I had a pretty good year in 2,008!

The GOOD!: Remington 700 VSF in the new 17 Remington Fireball caliber!
This Rifle looks great, the caliber does a lot of things in the Varminting world REALLY well and with NO recoil so I can see bullet impact points!
This Rifle shot both factory ammunition and my handloads well and the accuracy remains through shot strings of 25+ rounds.

Remington XR-100 in caliber 22-250 Remington. I have owned this Rifles brothers for a few years now in calibers 204 Ruger and 223 Remington and I had such great luck with them that I decided to go ahead and get the third caliber offered in that model - the 22-250.
Trouble is Remington quit offering them in 2,008 so i had to resort to an on-line purchase!
I could NOT be happier with this XR-100 either!
It shoots extremely well and the stock design fits me to a "T"!

Ruger 77 V/T in 204 Ruger caliber! This is my fifth Varminter in caliber 204 Ruger and like the other four this Ruger 77 is impressively accurate! The two stage trigger is a bit different but once the first stage is pulled through it is an excellent trigger.

Leupold 6.5x20x40mm Long Range Model (LR). This scope has the 30mm tube on it with the 40mm objective.
I have been using the Leupold 6.5x20's ever since they came out and have a small hoarde of them right now on my Rifles.
I swore I would never use or own a 30mm tubed scope - they looked funny to me - awkward might be a better personal observation.
I got a great deal on this scope and was originally going to use it as trading stock for a more "traditional scope".
Now that I have been using this 30mm tubed scope for 6 months I have grown to like it and to accept its "chubby" profile!
The optics are excellent in this particular scope!

Nosler Ballistic Tip Big Game bullets. I continued this past fall my decade long now, VERY successful use of Noslers Ballistic Tip Bullets on Big Game.
I stayed away from these bullets for many years relying on what I am sure were unsubstantiated and unwarranted "rumors"!
That was my MISTAKE - these are EXCELLENT Game bullets and not only are they accurate they fly VERY flat!

Luckily nothing comes to my mind in the "BAD" equipment category. Like I say 2,008 was apretty good year for me.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
GOOD

Tikka T3 SS .308

Brownell's Quik Set Latigo sling

Serius Hyperlite All Weather gloves
Got these for skiing but now they just stay in whatever coat/jacket I'm wearing. I skiied in 9* weather in them just last week and never felt the need to put on my heavier gloves. Love 'em.

BAD

Can't think of anything right off.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Worked:
-Arc'teryx bora 65
-McMillan Ruger Classic
-VX-II w/LRD, really like those dots
-OR hydroseal stuff sack
-Knives of AK Jaeger
-OR Fraction jacket

Didn't:
-OR changed the sizing of their Croc gaiters and didn't tell me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will start off with the bad, Laid off since Apr. 2008. Now for the good, caught up on my reading, fished a lot the past summer, when hunting season came along, Blaser R-93 7mm Remington Mag. Took two shots to conferm zero from 07, and I got to hunt the whole landowner Deer Season in CT. The other bad thing was I heard no shooting in the area, and my neighbors who I see while deer hunting, they hunt to, were not present this year. Lots of deer thou. No problem filling two tags.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like gear was covered pretty well.

couple things that helped my elk hunt alot were:
Emergen C drink powder mix and Gatorade powder mix to add to the water bottles.
Nissan Vacume water bottle to keep water warm overnight and help us get out of the tent faster in the morning.
My cabelas bowhunter 100% polyester pants worked amazingly well for hiking up the mountain.
My Vasque hightop hikers worked amazingly well as fill ins in the unseasonably warm weather.
Also for the heat, a T-shirt and cargo shorts for mid day hiking.

Salmonhead
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good; Gizmo called a "Dead Sled" a roll up to get your deer out. Works well even on dry ground, but only good for one rough-n-tough application.
Remington Model 7 Predator in .223 tickled S*%#less with this rifle all around except for...
Bad: " Xmark Pro Trigger" on the Remington. Yanked it and installed the old style....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good:
Tikka T3 Lite. It's everything everyone said it was.
Gore-Tex Windstopper or Windshear fabric is worth the extra few bucks you pay for clothing manufactured with it in it.
Polyester baselayer type underwear really does keep you dry and warm.

Bad:

No issues that I can think of.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good:
- SureFire G2 LED (The tailcap actually crapped out, and surefire replaced it free within 3 days. Kudus to them.)
- Sitka Gear Mountain Pants
- DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife
- Swobo featerweight Merino wool tshirt (awesome baselayer)
- 120gr Ballistic Tips from 7mm-08 worked well, need more testing though.
- Swarovski binoculars worked.
- Under Armour fleece beanie is awesome
- Leupold RX-2 Rangefinder, great for bowhunting.

Still unsure:
- Sitka Gear 90% Jacket. I haven't worn it enough to give it a fair evaluation. Seems promising, however.

Bad:
- I need to find a better belt to wear, I've been using a 1" nylon belt that's way too skinny.
- My little daypack from LL Bean will be replaced, hopefully by a Badlands Diablo.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Kampfeld Custom 25-06AI WORKED AND SHOT LIGHTS OUT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good:

Smart wool shirts. Had the bottoms for awhile got the top this year and it worked great.

Lowa tibets, awesome boots.

Marmot Precip jacket. Worked great in a light wyoming rain, water just beaded up.

this year I'll be trying the cabelas tef jacket and patagonia puff-ball vest.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
2 things actually,

First was a 700 SS 30-06 from Skane...Love that sum bitch, the gun /scot is cool but..., grins

Taking a fresh pair of socks to my stand and putting them on. Dry socks keep your feet warm.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good:
Chippewa leather hunting boots. Great in cactus and thorns.

Bad:
Bought a low-cost spotting scope because I had been very pleased with my high-cost binocs from the same manufacturer. I learned that you get what you pay for.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Two more:
My kids drink Chocolate Milk everyday. The wife buys hershey Choc syrup. The bottles have a flip cap that Really doesn't leak. I cleaned one up and filled it with water. Works great as a water bladder. Great disposable piss bladder too. It's free.

Listened to my gut saying move. I've always felt I'd be better off staying put no matter what changes happened. I say my guy but it was really the direction of the wind in relation to the areas I know deer move from or to. I got down and moved this year based on wind changes. It worked.

Proverbs

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the patagucchi capilene. It's not new to me, I've had all my capilene for more than 10 years and it still looks and works good. You get what you pay for with this stuff. It lasts.

Proverbs

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Good:
Therma-Cell
Barnes TTSX
Leica 8x42 Ultravids
Minox 6.5x32 IFs

Bad:
Work

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 22 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,922
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.