-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
How'd the hunt go GroundShinkage? I'm planning a hunt for same area in 2010. I'd love to know what you learned and hear all about your hunt and anything you'd do different. I was out there fishing and hiking this summer on opening weekend and I've got pretty much your same plan in mind. This time around I'm going to do alot more training with my pack on before hand though. My collarbones and knees were shot for about a week after I put 12 miles in under a full pack one day. I remember there being all kinds of hunters in the recreation area opening weekend but all of those guys I talked to were staying in the cabins at Taylor so I can't imagine they were going very deep into the wilderness areas every day.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Frankie_2_Times
KC,

Being from out of state, getting a lot of gear to CO is part of the issue. I have allot of the necessary gear, but driving from MI alone is not really an option. I can swing 9-10 days out of the office for the trip, I'd rather not spend 4 of them driving there and back.
Thanks for all the advise.

Frank

I made the drive this year from Grand Rapids. Will be doing it again next year. Its 16 hours (1200 miles). Not too bad. Might be worth it if you have all the gear. I'll be headed to 44/444 for 2nd season next year....

I hope you got something good...

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree with CumminsHunter. Transporting the gear is not such a big problem. I have gone on several drop hunts in Alaska and on those hunts we had to limit ourselves to the gear that we could carry as baggage on a commercial airlines and put on a bush plane. You have to think lightweight and compact but it's not really that difficult.

One strategy that we used is to mail some stuff via US Postal Service. I used 120 quart Igloo coolers that I bought at Wal Mart for $50. I put mostly freeze dried and dehydrated food and other consumable supplies in the cooler. At the end of the hunt, the consumables were all gone and I filled the coolers with meat. You can also mail your gear if that's beneficial.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, we've done the same thing. Mailing things used to be fairly cheap.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.