-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
I've also quit using my Cabela's card. I sent an electronic payment a week before the payment due date and on my next statement I was hit with a late fee. I pay all of my bills online and none of my other bills take that long to process, I'm convinced they take longer just to hit people with late charges.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I has someone in south central L.A. change my log in, info address, phone number, and email for my Cabelas card. They placed an order for a $500.00 gift card from Cabelas, which they flagged and not not process. Later they tried charging $.56 to my card for dinner. I have a new card coming and a letter going out to the slime ball that tried swiping my identity.

Gotta love goggle and their maps.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just catching up to this thread but I find it really, really interesting. I had issues in February as well over the exact same thing - an electronic payment not received on time even though it was sent 8-10 days before the due date. It happened to me twice - once in December, the final time in February. I paid the balance, canceled the card and bid good ridance.

My credit is too good to put up with that sort of BS.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
C
I have heard good and bad reports from Cabela's Visa account holders. But there are reasons I would not have one, and reasons why I would discourage others from having one. The card is issued by "The Worlds Foremost Bank", It is a wholely owned subsidiary of the Cabela's retail store, catalog, and online sales operation. Unlike other companies, Cabelas actually owns the bank that issues its own credit cards. This isn't like a Sears card that is issued by CitiBank. (http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/world039s-foremost-bank-a-division-of-cabelas-c103925.html)
Therefore, Cabela's Retail has access to all of their cardholders spending activity that they make with the card. If you use your Cabela's Visa card to make a purchase at Gander Mountain, or Bass Pro, they know how much you spent there and when. This is a major tool for them to find out what you and their competitors are doing. Maybe it's legal, but is it ethical?
The next time you walk into a Cabela's store, count how many times you are asked by an employee if you would like to sign up for their card. The store is paid $70 for every card they 'sell' to a customer for the Worlds Foremost Bank and the retail employees are paid $1 of that $70. The retail employees are pushed to meet goals for selling these cards and this is a significant component on their performance evaluations and pay raises.
Furthermore it is not neccessary to have their Visa to earn the points. The Cabela's Club Rewards Card offers the same 2% on in store purchases and the points never expire, there is no fee for the card and the cardholders are supposedly given exclusive offers. But employees are instructed not to mention this to customers unless they ask.
Cards or no cards I believe in supporting locally owned and operated small businesses. I will gladly pay $2 more for my minnows from Bob on my way to the lake, to keep an honest man in business than patronize a corporation who operates on the principles of greed.
I don't believe the present Cabela's business or employee management practices are ethical or anywhere near what the Cabela's brothers envisioned.

Last edited by CampCook; 06/01/09.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Let's see......a card issued by CitiBank, who's taken taxpayer money to stay in business, or Cabelas......I believe I'd choose Cabela's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last time I went to Cabelas, I didn't buy anything, anyway. I try like Hell not to use any credit card. When I'm through paying off the ones I have I'll never charge another thing as long as I live.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

C
C
I'm sorry I didn't make my message clear. I wasn't trying to say CitiBank was a better choice. Sears/Citibank is just an example as to how some retail use already established financial institutions to issue their cards. The point is that Cabela's has their own financial institution for the sole purpose of issuing credit cards to their customers so they have access to what would otherwise be private information.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 8 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.