Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: If I am going to compare cartridges and bore diameter,I guess it's only fair to keep velocity levels the same,or close. I don't think anyone would rationally argue that a 340 is not more "powerful" than a 30/06,due to a number of factors including heavier bullets, more frontal area, higher velocity,etc. All these little factors add up.A fairer comparison might be a 300 Weatherby with 200's against whatever you want to feed a 325 or 340.

But we have developed this "picket fence" mentality here, where we seek to fill every little gap in the caliber lineup,trying to distinguish among minute differences in caliber/cartridge performance,until the "line" or distinctions of performance between them gets very blurred;so that if we take a 200 gr 308 bullet, and a 200 gr 323 bullet,and start them at the same speed,smash them into elk bodies and make them expand, that .015" diameter difference becomes sort of...well...irrelevant...and trying to distinguish between their lethal effectiveness becomes a hollow conversation...the animals we shoot with such comparable stuff don't distinguish;they just die from either.

Bullet performance clouds the issue even more,making the already fuzzy lines of performance between these comparable cartridges even more obscure...and if we think, by going to a 325 from a 30,that you are going to get bigger holes in game,a difference in performance that you can discern, you won't. It's a pipe dream.The difference, to the extent it exists, will come more from bullet structure and expansion characteristics than minute differences in bore size.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/14/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say the same when people say that a .300 Mag is a significant step up from a 7mm Mag. How's that for stirring the pot? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

...... if you get my drift... wink

Sure do. Perhaps I was forgetting the quarry in question here, too. The closest thing with which I have some depth of experience is our northern moose, and perhaps I forget that they aren't the same thing as elk - or even the same as all other moose in various parts of the world- nor are they always hunted the same.

As for the "hydraulenergetic" transfer of the bullet's speed, momentum, and power, or what-have-you, the "shock", perhaps better labeled "stunning effect" of a bullet's "pressure wave" as it passes, might work just as certain pressure points - usually involving nerve centers in the human body work. If a bullet passes near enough some of them, it may cause a temporary or permanent disruption. I think that may account for the way some animals appear to be hit hard but then recover, while others, though no real obvious immediately vital parts or torn or bruised, may be put down permanently by a shot that may not even look very lethal, at least not in the short term.

I do know that 3000+ ft/lbs applied to the stomach of an ungulate can do little more than cause an animal to "hunch up," while one-third as much energy - or even less- can "shatter" a liver, causing immediate lethal bleeding. Obviously, those are two completely different things, both related to a bullet's "shock" effect, but neither of them causes lethal "shock" to the animal.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan:With certain bullets,you may be right! grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik:.....maybe the reason a 7mag floors a moose one time,and a 338 doesn't...chunks of metal hurtling through elk or moose bodies can't be good things smile

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Both were double lung shots, with modest bullet expansion, judging by exit wounds.

Judging expansion by the exit in the hide can very miss leading and unreliable. I have seen on many occasions small exits in the hide with massive damage inside.
Here is an example of one. Lastr year my friend Ronnie shot a small Deer at about 60 yards with a 130 grain Partition forma 270 win. The exit on the off side was barely larger than the entrance, yet when we loaded the Deer in the truck shunks of lung tissue feel out of the Deer's mouth. When field dressing we found the internalk damage to be extremely massive

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JB, good post. I am excited to see you trying to educate the masses with the truth. A daunting task to say the least, especially when perception has became their reality. If incorrect information is stated enough times it is then perceived to be factual. As you stated (so well) FPE is a poor indicator of terminal effectiveness

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Jeff: If I am going to compare cartridges and bore diameter,I guess it's only fair to keep velocity levels the same,or close. I don't think anyone would rationally argue that a 340 is not more "powerful" than a 30/06,due to a number of factors including heavier bullets, more frontal area, higher velocity,etc. All these little factors add up.A fairer comparison might be a 300 Weatherby with 200's against whatever you want to feed a 325 or 340.

But we have developed this "picket fence" mentality here, where we seek to fill every little gap in the caliber lineup,trying to distinguish among minute differences in caliber/cartridge performance,until the "line" or distinctions of performance between them gets very blurred;so that if we take a 200 gr 308 bullet, and a 200 gr 323 bullet,and start them at the same speed,smash them into elk bodies and make them expand, that .015" diameter difference becomes sort of...well...irrelevant...and trying to distinguish between their lethal effectiveness becomes a hollow conversation...the animals we shoot with such comparable stuff don't distinguish;they just die from either.

Bullet performance clouds the issue even more,making the already fuzzy lines of performance between these comparable cartridges even more obscure...and if we think, by going to a 325 from a 30,that you are going to get bigger holes in game,a difference in performance that you can discern, you won't. It's a pipe dream.The difference, to the extent it exists, will come more from bullet structure and expansion characteristics than minute differences in bore size.

Right on BobinNH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi Bob. Always a pleasure.

I was just foolin' around; hope that was clear. The "incrementalism" of us cartridge geeks is laughable- no argument from me.

JUST FOR GRINS, to go backwards to the .325 WSM not being a significant step up from a 30-06, and to use your like-velocities rule... a 30-06 will push a 165-gn bullet at 2900+ fps.

A .325 will push a slightly wider 200-gn bullet at 2900+ fps.

Is there a significant difference- I don't know. I do know, if I were hunting ELK with a 30-06 and 165's, I'd feel the need to use a "hard" bullet, while with my .325 I feel I can use more of a "mid-premium" bullet, like the Accubond, because I have a little bit of buffer there. To me, that's a significant difference right there, one rarely mentioned in these debates. Larger calibers give you more latitude in bullet selection.

Gosh, I hope it's clear to you and JB and Klik and the other good folks on this thread that I'm not arguing, nor claiming to be an expert. I'm just thinking out loud and enjoying having a conversation with other hunters. The amount of poo-flinging around here has about worn me out.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: I was not arguing or chastising or accusing or saying what you posted was wrong; I was having a discussion with members of the thread in general. Although I was "responding" to you, I was not directing everything to you.

I think the 325 WSM is a fine cartridge for its' purpose, which is to split the baby between a 300 mag and a 338 in a lighter-weight manageable package.

I think,pointed properly, and using good bullets in both,you are gonna have dead elk with both. I know you like AB's and it seems they do a good job in the heavier weights and modest velocities,so as you know they will do fine.Mostly I use good bullets so don't worry about whether I can use a larger cartridge and a softer bullet. Were I to get a 325 tomorrow, the first bullets I'd reach for would be 200 gr Partitions,and if I planned on using the rifle on bigger stuff, a 220 Swift Aframe.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Right on BobinNH

jwp: Thanks! wink

BTW what you observed with the Partition is very common and I have seen it many times.Sometimes you will recover the partition when it does not punch through,and it is generally found having blown off the nose back to the partition;expansion and damage having come earlier.......but you knew that! grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd like to make a couple more comments about "creeping incrementalism."

One story my friend John Haviland ("Elk" on the Campfire) tells on himself is about the 7mm Remington Magnum. John is about my ago, 50-something, which means he also grew up in Montana when the Seven Em Em Maggie was THE hot cartridge, even more than the .300 WSM was a few years ago. Everybody had to have one, and so John and all his buddies bought them.

John handloaded 160-grain spitzers, I believe Speer Mag-Tips, because that's what he could afford. Then he went out and whacked a pile of animals--deer, elk, black bears, etc.--and the Big Seven proved itself exactly the wonder cartridge that everybody said it was.

Eventually John bought his first chronograph, years after his 7mm Magnum. The load that he'd been using all those years, the load that had dumped a bunch of elk, the load that his handloading manual said got around 3000 fps--well, that load was going around 2700 fps at the muzzle. This is about what a "modern" 7x57 load can do.

Of course the load was instantly ruined. He changed powders and bullets until he got "magnum" velocities. Funny thing was, the rifle didn't kill any better....

One more comment about the .325. It is a fine cartridge. Heck, they are all fine cartridges. But upping the bore diameter of the .300 WSM case to .323 only gains a little more than 1% velocity with the same bullet weight, according to the 1/4 rule. This is about 35 fps in loads going around 2900 fps.

This slight gain is more than negated at longer ranges by the lower ballistic coefficient of 8mm bullets of the same weight as .30 caliber bullets. The 200-grain .30 caliber AccuBond, for instance, has a listed BC of .588, while the 200-grain 8mm AccuBond's listed BC is .450.

At 400 yards a 200-grain AB started at 2900 from .300 WSM is going 2283 fps, while a 200 AB started at 2900 from a .325 is going 2137 fps. So the .325 with this bullet isn't even as "powerful" as the .300 WSM at 400 yards. (Unless, of course, we ascribe some magic powers to the .015" greater bullet diameter of the .325.)

Now let's load a 200-grain AccuBond to 2600 fps in the .30-06. I have generally found this velocity can be beaten somewhat, but we won't quibble. Here we find the bullet still going 2022 fps at 400 yards, a little more than 100 fps slower than the .325 200 AB started 300 fps faster at the muzzle. The difference in foot-pounds is now down to a little over 200.

Run similar calculations with the 220-grain 8mm A-Frame started at 2800 fps (which, given the tendency of the A-Frame toward creating higher pressures, might be 100 fps too much) and we find 400-yarn energy figures to be at most 1800 foot-pounds--or about like a .30-06 with the 180 AccuBond started at 2600 fps.

Enough ballistic gack--at least for now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One story my friend John Haviland ("Elk" on the Campfire) tells on himself is about the 7mm Remington Magnum. John is about my ago, 50-something, which means he also grew up in Montana when the Seven Em Em Maggie was THE hot cartridge, even more than the .300 WSM was a few years ago. Everybody had to have one, and so John and all his buddies bought them.

John handloaded 160-grain spitzers, I believe Speer Mag-Tips, because that's what he could afford. Then he went out and whacked a pile of animals--deer, elk, black bears, etc.--and the Big Seven proved itself exactly the wonder cartridge that everybody said it was.

Eventually John bought his first chronograph, years after his 7mm Magnum. The load that he'd been using all those years, the load that had dumped a bunch of elk, the load that his handloading manual said got around 3000 fps--well, that load was going around 2700 fps at the muzzle. This is about what a "modern" 7x57 load can do.

Of course the load was instantly ruined. He changed powders and bullets until he got "magnum" velocities. Funny thing was, the rifle didn't kill any better....

One more comment about the .325. It is a fine cartridge. Heck, they are all fine cartridges. But upping the bore diameter of the .300 WSM case to .323 only gains a little more than 1% velocity with the same bullet weight, according to the 1/4 rule. This is about 35 fps in loads going around 2900 fps.

This slight gain is more than negated at longer ranges by the lower ballistic coefficient of 8mm bullets of the same weight as .30 caliber bullets. The 200-grain .30 caliber AccuBond, for instance, has a listed BC of .588, while the 200-grain 8mm AccuBond's listed BC is .450.

At 400 yards a 200-grain AB started at 2900 from .300 WSM is going 2283 fps, while a 200 AB started at 2900 from a .325 is going 2137 fps. So the .325 with this bullet isn't even as "powerful" as the .300 WSM at 400 yards. (Unless, of course, we ascribe some magic powers to the .015" greater bullet diameter of the .325.)

Now let's load a 200-grain AccuBond to 2600 fps in the .30-06. I have generally found this velocity can be beaten somewhat, but we won't quibble. Here we find the bullet still going 2022 fps at 400 yards, a little more than 100 fps slower than the .325 200 AB started 300 fps faster at the muzzle. The difference in foot-pounds is now down to a little over 200.

Run similar calculations with the 220-grain 8mm A-Frame started at 2800 fps (which, given the tendency of the A-Frame toward creating higher pressures, might be 100 fps too much) and we find 400-yarn energy figures to be at most 1800 foot-pounds--or about like a .30-06 with the 180 AccuBond started at 2600 fps.

Uummm....What he said.... smile

I was gonna say that ,but don't know how....... frown

PS:The 160 7 Em Em at 3100 is MAGIC grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Perfectly stated and I agree 200%..[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A chrono will mess with your head, that's for certain.

I chrono'd a book max load of RL19 behind a 140 in my 7mm08 the other day. Book says 2922 fps; I got 2625 fps!! I have a buddy who's pretty convinced he's zapping deer at 2900 fps with that load...

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/15/09.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A chrono will mess with your head, that's for certain.

I chrono'd a book max load of RL19 behind a 140 in my 7mm08 the other day. Book says 2922 fps; I got 2625 fps!! I have a buddy who's pretty convinced he's zapping deer at 2900 fps with that load...

Jeff: That is pretty funny...seen those chronographs destroy a lot of rifles......I guess we all have smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no idea WHY the discrepency was so great; I suspect because the test barrel was 26" and mine is 22", and RL19 needs the extra room to burn, and this 7mm-08, while fabulous in every other regard, has a sloooooow barrel...

H4350 gets 140's perking in that rifle though, go figure.

Hey Bob... PM sent...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have been through this before on the Campfire: All the powder that is going to burn (at least 99% at the pressures it's designed to burn at) are burned within 4 inches AT MOST in front of the chamber. At that point about all that exists is the hot gas produced by the powder. This gas continues to expand until the bullet exits the muzzle, at least in centerfire cartridges.

Now, slower-burning powders tend to produce more gas, because the powder charge is greater than with faster powders. But no, longer barrels are not needed to "burn" the extra powder. In fact the same powders that produce top velocities in longer barrels will also produce the highest velocities in shorter barrels.

The reason the published load produced different velocities in your barrel and the test barrel is length of barrel, throat and bore differences, and lot of powder. It has nothing to do with the powder keeping on burning.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JB, Jeff has been told this before, but he chooses to perpetuate incorrect info because it has been told as fact for so long that some believe it to be fact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks JB, I didn't know that! Damn facts, messing with my theories <g>.

Uh... how to explain the fireball out the muzzle of my short 45/70 with H335, but not other powders?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/15/09.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.