Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It means I am not restricted to using FMJ bullets, which makes a big difference in the performance of this round!

As far as all the combat experienced folks, with all due respect, are using FMJ military ammo or the occasional hollow point, which to my knowledge is in 7.62 not in the .5.56/.223

I don't have any combat experience and yes, all my knowledge is from reading on the internet, but c'mon, shooting badguys is not rocket science. All the dude asked was what would be an effective way to use his AR for home defense. Sure the 12ga is preferred, but if you grab the AR or that is what is handy, it would nice to have the most effective round.

My answer for the ubiquitous "home defense" and SHTF questions is move to better neighborhood or stock up on toilet paper, 'cause toilet paper will be the currency of the new world.

Last edited by csam; 03/10/09.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You are not restricted to using FMJ, and I would certainly advise using some form of expanding bullets for home defence.

However, the reason I was asking about the significance of the Geneva convention in this thread is becase the Geneva convention does not prohibit the use of expanding bullets by the military. This prohibition is stated in the two The Hague conventions of 1899 and 1907, if memory serves. Further this only applies to the armed forces of two signatories at war with each other. Interestingly enough, I believe we have not been at war with another signatory since 1945.

The Internet is a great place to check things out, not to learn everything. You need to have the basics and you can expand on that knowledge and learn more with judicious search-engine-fu. Look up The Hague (it's in the Netherlands by the way,) Conventions on land warfare and start winning free drinks at the bar or free ammo at gun shops.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My mistake then, I do not adhere to the Geneva convention, or anything that came out of the Netherlands (except Heineken). Sincerely, thanks for the correction.

I am curious them, why are we using FMJ in the 9mm and the .5.56 rounds in the sandbox? It it just cost and logistics of using different ammo in that theater, because I am sure none of our enemies in that theater are signatories of either of the conventions of the Hague or the Geneva convention for that matter.

Last edited by csam; 03/11/09.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It's very simple. If our military started using non-FMJ ammunition in combat operations now, what do you think the press around the world would say? Do you think they would present a fair assessment of the decision or would they just go for the "war criminal" aspect? You did not know the details and you are a shooter. You're a smart man, you do the math.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Just go pick up any hunting type mid weight soft point, hollow point or whatever non FMJ ammo and call it good.

I would concentrate a lot more money, effort and thought into taking care of loved ones who may likely get injured. Learn some casualty care and how to stabilize a trauma victim.

Bad things happen to good people, learn to deal with it.

It is very easy to dump dudes, it is a lot harder keeping people alive.

Absolutely correct.

A side note; The 6.8 and 7.62 match are loaded with Sierra Matchking bullets not FMJ armor piercing.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am interested in learning more about trauma care but don't have a clue where to go to learn!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Non military may do best by finding a good first aid manual to study before it's needed, maybe a naturapathic book if your into that. Gathering the medical supplies isn't that easy but it's important. Use your imagination and any personal contacts you may have. You don't need to have a pharmacy and legally you better not. Just maybe a couple stitch kits, bandages and such. More advanced people would want to get ahold of a lot more, I really don't feel comfortable giving details. I don't know the legalities of having such equipment in the US or your state so don't get yourself in trouble.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.