Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Boom - nice post.

Really? I sort of figured it was a bit more like trying to trash someones opinion, while taking the long way around the barn, to end up not that far away from the opinion he was trying to trash?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jason280
the drizzlin shxts things over 20 someodd years

???

The decapping spindle is a bear to get set a keep there. Had to weld one of them down

I haven't had a problem with mine. I use a .223 full length sizing die to resize all my military 5.56 brass, and have sized close to 1.5k pieces without incident.

I own Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, and Redding dies, and the Lee's have worked just as well for me as any of the others.

Yup tried the Lee dies when they first came out back in the late 80's. Some work fine others don't. Have bought a several sets since then , and the quality seems to have certainly gone down.
While I think highly of quite a bit of Lee's equipment. I just don't see where the dies get you anything but the dipper and a shell holder. Not to mention those danged round boxes that take up to much room on the shelves.
After this last set I purchased , they will be the last, the savings compared to the regulars, like Hornady, Lyman, RCBS etc, just isn't enough for me to think buying the Lees to be worth the gamble.

Last edited by Ranch13; 02/19/09. Reason: spelling correction

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Re: Lee 50th Ann. Kit - recommended for beginner?"

Yes. I bought one just to give to a young man who didn't have any reloading tools. He will use it until something breaks or he upgrades.

Incidentally, I've had mostly good dies from all the manufacturers and have had some bad dies from most all the manufacturers, too.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is what I started with and still use, except the press. Recently I bought a set of RCBS dies for 35 Remington, because the Lee set didn't have a correct shell holder. Because I am used to the Lee dies I find the RCBS set inconvienient to use. The lever on the hand primer is only good for about 3000 to 4000 rounds and then needs to be replaced.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Save your money and buy quality stuff once. I'd recommend the RCBS kit as a starter. For dies, I'm very partial to Forster and those are now virtually the only ones I use. I just think their quality is the best. Don't forget several reloading manuals too.
Just my opinion & worth exactly what was paid for it.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried that saving my money,I went 20 years with out reloading. Boy did I miss something.

The difference in Canada at that time was much greater than now or in your country. The advice I got was spend that diference on components.

Lee dies are very plain looking,But I have found their interior finish better than RCBS,the hard way.

If you put two Lee lock rings together,they never move,nor do they thrash the threads.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Bouncer
Actually, Lee has two types of seater dies.

As do all manufacturers: those that are in spec, and those that aren't. It's the proportion that matters.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I started out with this kit, I still have this press and have had no problems whatsoever.

Though I am not a fan of Lee's FLS or the IMperfect powder measure that comes with the kit, they're all fine for a beginner.

I'm a big fan of the Hornady FLS die and the Lee Collet Neck Sizer. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Hornady seater dies once I start loading for my 338'0 but haven't tried 'em yet. The Lee seater is nice for adjustability and their crimp die is second to none for cartridges that need such a thing.

Sometime in the next couple of years I plan to pick up a Redding press but only for increased precision, not because I "need" it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 18,621 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,968
Posts18,539,854
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.