Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
http://www.indiancreekss.com/home.htm

These tubes swept every class at last years NWTF Still Target Championships. They won every single class. The Black Diamond Strike choke tubes hold the current worlds for shotgun and muzzle loader shotgun as well.

Here's the world record target of 54 shot inside the 3" red circle.

[Linked Image]

These choke tubes are made in Frohna MO. That's not too far from me. They are making some great choke tubes.

Last edited by BradC; 02/11/09.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thats not that great of a hunting pattern. Alot of holes and its not very round. Theres a difference between a hunting pattern and still target pattern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just ordered an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike for my Benelli M1S90 Camo Turkey Gun. We'll see how it pans out soon...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Thats not that great of a hunting pattern. Alot of holes and its not very round. Theres a difference between a hunting pattern and still target pattern.

That may be true, but I will bet there isn't a turkey gun on here that can shoot that many shot inside a 3" circle including any of yours at 40yds. It is what it is. It's one dead turkey regardless.

Last edited by BradC; 02/12/09.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
3 inch circle mean nothing when patterning a turkey gun. Especially when there is holes in the pattern around the 3 inch like that pattern has. Look right of the circle theres a spot where a turkeys head would fit thats unexceptable to me. I'd also be willing to bet some of the guys on here shooting nitros can beat that in a 3 inch everytime.

IC B2

B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Well I invite you and your buddies guns to attend the shoot. I got money that says they won't win.

B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
3 inch circle mean nothing when patterning a turkey gun. Especially when there is holes in the pattern around the 3 inch like that pattern has. Look right of the circle theres a spot where a turkeys head would fit thats unexceptable to me. I'd also be willing to bet some of the guys on here shooting nitros can beat that in a 3 inch everytime.

Your talking about loads that have #7.5 shot mixed in. You can't use them.

Rules
for conducting a sanctioned NWTF Wild Turkey Still-Target Shoot
RULES:
Distance of targets 40 yards
Shooting position Sitting
Barrel length Not to exceed 32� (including choke tube)
No mechanical rest allowed
Ammunition (provided by event host) Factory loads-12 ga. 3� & 20 ga. 3�
Shot size #4 - #5 - #6
Classes 12 ga. Open, 12 ga. Blackpowder Muzzleloader,
20 ga. Open, Ladies 20 ga., JAKES 20 ga.
Optics Scopes are allowed
Sights All styles
Target Most shot in 3� circle
� Must be an NWTF member
� Must display the sanctioned shoot banner in a prominent place in shooting area.
� There must be a range captain who is in charge of safety.
� Must use official NWTF targets.
� All shooters must wear eye and ear protection.
� Determining Winner and Runner Up: Once the Winner has been determined by the Finalists
shooting until an individual has won two squads, the remaining individuals will shoot another round,
with high score being the Runner up. This method ensures that Winner and Runner up are different
individuals.
� RULE CHANGE FOR 2008: Winner and Runner Up cannot be the same individual. If there is
only one individual in a division, there is no runner up. If there isn�t another individual in the
finals, runner up is shot off between semifinalist. If there aren�t any other individuals in the
semifinalists, runner up is shot off among other participants.
Blackpowder Muzzleloader Shotgun Division:
� Blackpowder Muzzleloader Shotgun: There will be an additional division added to the competition
where there is interest and available materials. All rules governing the shotgun divisions will be in place
with these exceptions:
� There is no limit on barrel plus choke tube length.
� No more than 100 grains of blackpowder FF or FFF, and no more than 2 ounces by weight of #6 shot
will be allowed.

Again, I have shot Hevi-Shot loads, and yes they do shoot a little tighter patterns. And yes that is what these guys are using as well. All are using #6 loads. I myself don't think the Hevi-Shot loads are worth the cost. I will stick with my 90% patterns with Win Supreme 2 and 1/4oz #4 loads. It kills turkeys probaly farther thanany other load or shotgun out there.

Also, I had a Browning Gold auto 3.5" that shot a 98% pattern at 40yd with a 3" Hevi-Shot 1 and 3/4oz #6 load, and I can tell you that even drawing a 3" circle around the tightest part of the pattern the best it did was 36 shot. 54 is incredidble regardless if you think so.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Still target shoots mean nothing to the turkey hunter. Patterns with holes are fine as long as the 3 inch circle is good. Thats not good for hunting but I do think 54 hits is good if thats what matters to you. I also prefer lead. Fiocchi number 5's or 4's make me happy.

B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
wisturkeyhunter,

Again, the 3" red circle is the name of the game at this shoot. And again, if you have a gun that can shoot that many shot on a turkey neck or even close to that many right down central each and everytime, you are going to kill a lot of turkeys. I agree with you the pattern has holes. But I can also say that none of my barrels on any of my shotguns will beat that target at least in the 3" circle.

I have killed a buch of turkeys over the years. 3 of them by bow which ain't too shabby. I have found what I think is the ultimate turkey buster. The Mossberg 835 is simply put one of the best #4 shot shooting shotguns on the market. I can put 33% and sometimes more of a 2 and 1/4oz Win Supreme #4 load in a piece of standard copy paper at 40yds. Now that is devastating to any gobbler even at like I said 50yds or even farther. Most standard 12GA barrels won't shoot heavy #4 turkey loads(2oz or heavier) near as well as they will shoot 5's or 6's. I know that to be true as well. 4 shot just kills turkeys better at farther distances like 50yds or beyond. It's nice to kill them closer, but not every gobbler will obey that rule. I would much rather pack a big gobbler over my shoulder that has hung up at 50-55yds than to say I will wait another day and hopefully call him in closer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look right of the circle theres a spot where a turkeys head would fit thats unexceptable to me.

I'm looking at the size of that turkey head, and wondering where to the right you are saying it would fit? Off the paper?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I should have typed brain instead of head. There is a spot to the right where a turkeys brain could squeeze in but the point I was trying to make is a great hunting pattern is really even and still dense that pattern is really dense but leaves a little to be desired in the even department.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Brad,

I've got an older 835 that I love. I've been shooting the same Winchesters in #5 shot. Which choke are you using to get such tight patterns?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
H.S. Undertaker .695 choke works the best with Winchester Supreme 2 and 1/4oz #4 loads using my Mossberg 835.

The Lohman Long Shot turkey choke seems to work the best with Federal Premium 2 and 1/4oz #5 loads. I can get 90% patterns with this setup and load.

Here's a picture of the Lohman tube.

[Linked Image]

I can get 90% patterns with the Federal Premium 2 and 1/4oz #6 loads using a Carlson's .675 choke tube.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, Brad. I'm shooting 3", 2oz, #5 Win Supreme and Fed loads. My Mossberg turkey choke pattern within about a 10" circle at 30 yards. The HS Undertaker is ok, but the pattern is more like a bunch of small groups.

I bought some newer Federals with a fancy wad on my way home from the range today, at least it looks cool on the packaging. I'm hoping these shoot a little tighter.

Henry Ford

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Usually that Federal load with the "fancy wad" (Flite Control) likes a non-wadstripping choke tube. Many chokes, especially the off the shelf factory type have some sort of mechanism to strip the wad from the shot load. Indian Creek actually does make a choke without a wad stripping feature (IC makes both types of choke tube) that would probably work best for the Flite Control wad. But ya never know until you shoot on paper...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
taz,

I bought 3 of the Undertaker choke tubes and kept the 1 that shot the best. I took the others 2 back to wally world for a refund. The Undertaker seems to shoot the 4 shot Win loads the best out of all the choke tubes I have tried. For #5 loads, you need a tighter choke tube around .680 for your best patterns. But my Undertaker still shoots all the shot well. For 6 shot, I think the .675 constriction seems to work about the best with Federal loads.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, MOG and Brad. Maybe I should go with #4s with my 835?

I've got a few boxes of those in Win and Fed.

Henry Ford

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A guy I know says: "Friends don't let friends shoot #4 lead for turkeys"

There's alot of truth in that statement. I've never seen a good pattern with #4s.

In the 835 I'd recommend the Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Primos Jelly Head, or the discontinued Star Dot if you can find one.

If you want the best patterns available with a turkey set-up and factory ammo, try H13 #6s. They carry more energy than #4 lead and pattern better than lead period. If you want even better patterns, buy Nitros. The only thing better than Nitros are handloads.

These are 40yard patterns with an 835 shooting handloads and a Star Dot .676 choke tube(10" circle counts):

2.25oz of 6 hevi shot:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2.25oz of #7 hevi shot(power of #5 lead):
[Linked Image]

Nitros will not come close to those, but they are the best available shell to the public.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

B
BradC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The guy you know lied to you.

I can put about 275 shot out of the 305 shot total from a 2 and 1/4oz #4 load in a 30" circle consistently at 40yds with my 835 and Undertaker choke. You do the math on the pecentage. My 835 will put approx 450+ shot in a 30" circle at 40yds using the Federal Premium 2 and 1/4oz #6 loads and a Carlson .675 choke. That's 90% patterns as well.

I'll stick with my #4 loads that cost me about a $1 a pop. I can kill turkeys out to 60yd from my experience using them.

The Browning Gold 3.5" with 1 and 3/4oz #6 Hevi-Shot loads shot a 98% pattern at 40yds with a .670 Comp-n-Choke. I put I believe 181 shot in a 8.5" 11" piece of paper at 40yds. That's not too bad for 1 and 3/4oz loads. But like I said, I like #4's. I sold the Browning after I bought the 835 because it simply shot heavy #4 loads better.

Last edited by BradC; 02/18/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Mossberg 835 is an awesome turkey gun.
I've taken turkeys that hung up around 50 yards with Nitro #5 shot and the stock, X-Full lead choke.

Phil
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.