Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
While full width axles would be cool. I kinda want to keep this thing narrow as well. So I dunno.

Been lurking over on Pirate4x4 and sucking up info where I can find it. Found upgraded axle shafts that will handle the motor and tires, so I might go that route. To soon to tell though.

Dunno bout the gears, havnt checked. I asked and He thought they were 4.30's?

Found an interesting issue when I was unloading the truck. I tilted the trailer down, kicked everything into nuetral and nothing happend. Couldnt get it to roll. But when I sawed the wheel to the Left, It would roll a lil bit. Pretty soon something broke loose and she rolled free. Goona try an figure out what that was, today.

Carlwer, mudder, hunting truck. Yes grin Just want a capable rig that I dont have to worry to much about. Needs to be legal to drive on the road though.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool. Not too many legal crawlers around though.

4.30's should be plenty deep if you stick with the stock ones. Probably too deep with the 302. Depends what your going to do with it I guess.

It looks like a fun project.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got the bed unbolted and propped up far enough that I could get the fuel neck unhooked. Just gotta wait for an extra hand to pull the bed.

Finnally gave up on pulling bolts with an impact. I wasnt goona reuse them anyways so a torch and air hammer worked alot nicer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Got the bed unbolted and propped up far enough that I could get the fuel neck unhooked. Just gotta wait for an extra hand to pull the bed.

Finnally gave up on pulling bolts with an impact. I wasnt goona reuse them anyways so a torch and air hammer worked alot nicer.

good ol' smoke wrench how tight are oregon lift laws?

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dunno if we have any. Around here I see suburbans runnin around on 46's without any troubles.

Think it all depends on the area, and if the cop is having a good day or bad day.

They tend to be picky about mudflaps and fender flares though.

Well I remembered that there is a skidsteer in the backyard with forks on it "DOH" Got the bed pulled, frame cleaned up and painted with that rustolium stuff.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That "rustolium stuff" works pretty good. You might want to think about that roll on bed liner that you can buy at hardware and autoparts stores. Quite a bit tougher and durable as heck.

I used it on a trailer that kept getting rust and had issues with rocks, and it has held up for a few seasons of use now.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
was planning on using that roll on bed liner on the floorboards.

Just hit the frame with the wire wheel an paint as I was bored and it'll be nice to work on a rig that has a clean underside. Never had that privilage yet grin

Found a complete 4.3 outta a 93 S10 with 120k on it, on Craigslist. Been doing alotta reading and Its starting to sink in that, it might be the motor to use instead of the 302.

I'm slow to catch on grin Might go check it out tomorrow.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As much as a dislike the chevy's...I have nothing bad to say about the 4.3. One of our old work trucks had it with an auto tranny. Between that and the toyota, they were the two least worked on rigs we had. I don't remember anything being done to either.

The chevy was sold to a guy at work, he bought it for his son.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an 88 4.3, couldn't get that thing to last longer than 80k. Replaced it with a NEW one from GM. That one survived another 45k before it started to go.

What I like about the 302 is the amazing aftermarket help from the mustang guys.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
sounds like you already picked up the 302 which are good motors.I forgot how many miles might want to change bearings before stuffing it in though.Seems that is the weaker link to them.If not i also recomend giving the chevy 4.3 a look they are fairly stout and powerfull.Ijust changed one from one of my old trucks to a truck i picked up from a friend it has 190k and as far as i know nothing done.I've had since 150k.Either motor can be repaired or cobbled to get running without much trouble out on a trail.

As far as axles a good fab shop can shorten them for you.To save a little money.Jeep axles are about the width i believe.Probally have to look for cj axle though not yj's

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
looks like a nice project have fun keep the pics coming from different stages

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ended up getting sidetracked an not calling on that motor. So unless I find another I'll focus on that 302.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Have ya even bothered to check out that 22R? Bought my 87 2wd for $200 because,supposedly,the motor had overheated and was shot. It wasn't! It had 224,000mi on it and now has 306,000mi. Daily driver,wood wagon,etc. Consistant 32mpg. GREAT engines. Just don't over rev'em. One problem is the carbs on them. They're like the old Jeep BBD's. The throttle shaft wears the seats out and then you can't adjust the air/fuel mixture. If you get a good one though your ready to go. My first replacement from the salvage yard,$50, is still doing the job. One word of caution. If you decide to pull the head,there's a bolt that is located at the front center of the head that bolts to the timing chain cover. Probably under sludge so don't miss it.
One more thing about the early transmissions.4spd=GOOD 5spd=BAD
Don't think about swapping for better mileage.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The easiest, cheapest and best route to go is to find a older Chevy full size truck or blazer and use the motor tranny and transfer case.

Last edited by joecool544; 02/23/09.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
if you lived near i'd give you a motor but freight cost too much

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tbear. thanks for the thought, thats awfull nice of ya.

Heres all I did with the ass end, for now.
[Linked Image]

Spent an hour or so last night pulling the front end apart. I like having room to work. Goona try an pull the motor today. If I can get it running with out throwing to much money at it. I'll try and get a few bucks outta it and the tranny.
[Linked Image]

One shot of the interior. Its not to bad except for the where your heel rests on the the drivers side.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 02/24/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's not too bad he says...that is about the nicest interior you'll find on a 4x4 truck that age.

In the mid west, that floor would be wrecked just from the salt on your shoes.

Looks like fun to me. Thanks for the update. keep them coming

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude that little Toy right there is in awesome shape for its age!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
the floor fix is why road signs come up missing

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
[Linked Image]

Anybody else notice the lack of garage clutter?????why too much space grin grin grin

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 21, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,482,995
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.