Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My only question is why didn't i know about this thing before?
Here's a pic. Found the pic on the internet but mine looks exactly the same.
[Linked Image]

The Glock 29, the ultimate backpackers sidearm. Why?

Size. Just right. Not to big and heavy. Easily packable. With the pierce grip extensions, the handle is just right.

Power. 10mm loads from doubletapammo.com. These things are smoking. 41 magnum power in a smaller package, with 11 shots. Twice what you could get in a similar revolver. Loads like this one. Aside from brown bears, these loads will smoke any foe in north america.

Reliable and Durable. It's a glock. No worries about scratching it up or getting it dirty. It will go bang when you pull the trigger.

Versatile. With a simple barrel swap, this same gun can be changed to a 40 S&W, a 357 sig, or a 9x25 Dillon. That's like four guns in one. Use the 40 for practice and plinking and switch out to the 10 when things get serious. The 9x25 loads are leaving the barrel at 2000 fps. That's just crazy.

And it's a pleasure to shoot. Way less kick than my Smith .44 and easier to hold on target.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KA-BOOM! shocked

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup, everytime you pull the trigger. Don't ya know them things are dangerous? eek
DFE, congrats on the new shooter! 29s are fun guns.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I've got the same gun. Sold a S&W 629 for the Glock 29, couldn't be happier. It is so much easier to carry than the 625.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love my 2 Glocks,but this "Backpack" thing i'm not so sure.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet! I have one on my short list!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, I am glad this is a Glock 10mm pick!
Great caliber, great choice in Glock.

Add an www.advantagearms.com .22 conversion kit, you will have an ideal b-packing combination. From my experience these kits are excellent, accurate and fun (shoot bulk Remington yellow jackets perfectly).

What holster are you going with?

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Not to change this thread, but whats the 10mm feel like? compared to the 357 sig? had a Md 32, but was not crazy about it, carry and shoot a 40cal. now, and been thinking about a 45, but alot on here seen to like the 10mm, not sure, what one to go too!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats! I just bought a 10mm myself - waiting for it to ship. Mine's an EAA Witness - full size.

Only comment is that I thought that you weren't supposed to shoot hard cast bullets out of the Glocks due to the Polygonal rifeling?

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OSOK, You're correct.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Revolvers are better . . . . . wink

(nice choice tho')

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recently bought a G20. I have big hands. I could see loving what you just got, too!

Put 70 rounds through mine on Wednesday; up to about 250 total now. Nary a hiccup. Lovin' it!

Did you get night sights?

What load are you intending to run for trail use? On a 10mm thread recently, the 180 XTP was mentioned as a good bullet for that.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... by the way, 10mm Auto is a bitchin' round... but it ain't no .41 magnum...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No night sites on it yet, but that will be coming. I also tried the 29sf model as well, but the green regular 29 won me over, just for the cool color.

About the hard cast bullets- After doing some research it appears that some shoot them, but it is not recommended due to the additional fouling it may produce. I found some interesting stuff here about polygonal rifling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling
However, I know of several that shoot them without problems, some guys tens of thousands of rounds. I guess the trick is to keep the barrel spotless if you plan to do that to avoid leading the barrel. Either way, I think I'll stick with a jacketed bullet anyway.

Theres a few stories out there of guys with 10s shooting bears and such. One guy in on the 10 ring forum on glock talk shot a bear with a clean pass through, one shot one kill, with this round: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=40

Other 10mm stories I found interesting are the guys that have to deal with polar bears on a frequent basis. I saw it in the latest glock magazine. They are issued glock 20s as side arms. 15 shots of that stuff is pretty potent medicine for any critter. Sure a .44 or 454 will do more damage, but will you have time to reload?

As far as "it ain't no 41 mag"...you're right. But it's in the same ballpark. Many loads are up over 700 ft/lbs of energy, well above the .357 and nipping at the heals of the 41. Most store loads are castrated versions of what the 10 was intended to be, so you have to buy good stuff or roll your own. Plus you get twice as many shots with an auto, which may very well be a difference maker in a stressful situation.

Are there some compromises? Sure. But for me anyway, this little 29 is the best thing going. Beats the heck out of shooting that 329pd .44. Recoil is stout but very manageable.

I still haven't settled on a good carry method yet. Maybe you guys can help out in that regard. My problem is that I'm usually loaded down with a backpack and a binocular harness. In some cases I can stick a holster on the belt of my pack, but when I'm going light my lightweight packs don't have a place to attach them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Looks like a Hornady XTP - good bullet.

As far as a carry method, I'd recommend using a little accessory bag - like about camera size - and just hang it on your shoulder strap or wherever it feels right. Maybe put a pull tab on the pull to make it quick to open. Not only is that handy, it also conceals the piece in a normal looking pouch.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If Smith and Wession was still making the 1006 pistols, I'd have given you a friendly argument.
The one I have is much nicer to shoot than the Colt Delta Elite pistols, and very accurate. Comes in handy if you decide to knock the head off of a grouse while in the high country.
I usually don't carry mine while back packing. Unless I might have a real bear problem. Either lots of troublesome black bears or an occasional grizzly.
These days, I like the Smith M60, 3 inch, or my 5.7 FN. But, if you want real power, and a very reliable handgun, a semi auto in the 10mm would be very tough to beat. E

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E, Although I don't agree with you on rifle scopes wink I seem to agree with you on about everything else. Our equipment list is pretty similar really from what I've been reading the last few years. I too love my 5.7. Love that thing. Funnest gun I've ever had. I just don't trust it in bear country.

I hunted elk with my bow in south east idaho last year. The area I was in had lots of black bears and one rougue grizz that had actually killed some cattle in the area. Also a ton of wolves. That's the kind of scenario I plan for with the G29.

As far as the load I will use - I bought the sampler pack from Mike at doubletap ammo. I asked for the best woods loads and the best personal protection loads. I got them a few days ago. For the woods and anything under 400 lbs he recommends the 200 grain hornady xtp pictured above. Anything bigger and I'd use the FMJ or a hard cast bullet. I do feel ok with the hornady in the pipe though. For personal protection he sent me some 165 grain gold dots. I don't anticipate ever using this gun for that purpuse, (my Kimber Ultra Carry II is my cc weapon) but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned a Delta Elite, Glock 20, Wyoming Arms Parker, IAI Javelina, and the Smith 1006. The Smith was the best. If I was getting a new 10, I'd probably go with the Witness too. I had a Witness in 45 ACP and it was a very nice piece.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just bought this as a carry method. I'll report back once I can give a good eval.
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I see S&W is making their Night Guard in 10mm. I think that would be a sweet backpacking rig. Especially since I have about 5,000rds. of .40 that need burning. grin

Travis

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.