Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WTM45
"Effectiveness" is not solely measured by penetration.

It is when you're comparing two flat-nosed solids of the same caliber. That is the WHOLE point in a heavier bullet. In this particular case, the heavier bullet will also produce the larger wound channel.

Let's not get sidetracked with exaggerated examples.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Increasing projectile weight (SD) or changing geometry/construction affects HOW the work is performed, in both time and distance. Terminal ballistics. Even if you are at the same KE as the lighter faster bullet, there are points of diminishing returns in trading weight for velocity one must identify and concern themselves with. Too heavy and slow being a major one.

Penetration is not the only available metric of the work performed. I clearly understand there needs to be a minimum threshold to be trusted to reaching vitals. If penetration were all that mattered, smaller calibers in lighter weights can easily reach those penetration depths with much less energy expended and operator discomfort (re: recoil and blast - Think 9MM Underwood with a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps and muzzle energy of 465 ft. lbs.).
My example of anti-tank type saboted rounds would not be "exaggerated" as they use KE very efficiently to high success in penetration. Some have been developed and tested in handgun calibers.

The KE equation components matter. The Momentum equation and its components matter. Inertia matters. Bullet geometry and construction matters. The medium being impacted matters, and is probably the biggest variable of all even when one tries to use calibrated material in a controlled laboratory setting. One can't say velocity is "overstated" in the KE equation and then emphasize mass or SD as being any more influential in the overall results. The equations are what they are and have not been disproven.

Last edited by WTM45; 06/04/16.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by NH K9
In reality, does anyone actually carry a full frame revolver while BACKPACKING?

Just curious as I know my idea of packing may be different. I'm a "peak bagger" much of the time or I'm trying to burn trail miles on extended trips. Weight matters to me.......

I like the 10mm, but the G20 doesn't fit my parameters for a BACKPACKING gun. My MG in .45 K C certainly doesn't. Generally it's the "wife's" Model 60 that makes the trip and I've never felt it to be "inadequate".

Change the parameters to "woods bumming" and I can't see the G20 being inadequate in any form. You'll pay hell to convince me there's a bear around here it won't kill, not that I've much concern in that area.

George

I do, George, but that's just me. It's only 3-lbs, which isn't a deal breaker IMHO. When I think of all the actually extraneous gear I carried for miles in the Marine Corps, I figure what's 3-lbs?

Understood!

My choice would likely change if I were in AK or in "big bear" country in the lower 48........maybe.

For around here, as much as I love my Mountain Gun, I just can't justify the extra size/weight in my mind. I've never considered my choices "inadequate" based on local parameters.

Now, if I had a couple of your custom rigs, I might carry 'em "just because" smile .

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 320Keith
In reality, does anyone actually carry a full frame revolver while BACKPACKING?

YUP a S&W 329 weighs 26 oz empty, loaded with 320s a tad more plus an extra speed loader is not much more.

Not much on 2 or 4 legs it won't handle.

Also make a good CC carry gun w/180 HPs. Harry managed to carry a much bigger, heavier 29 w/o alarming SF puzzies (until he took it out)

Semantics smile

I'll stipulate to "full frame", but would 'argue" that your 329 (scandium at that weight, perhaps?) is geared towards "my" argument. A "standard", all-up, 625 would weigh in closer to 50 oz. if I had to guess.

The first time my wife says anything about her gun going with me on the trail, it'll likely be replaced by something 325(ish). NG, maybe......

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its possible that it might work better to hit your target with a 22 LR than miss it with a 44 magnum, thus a 45LC, 45ACP, 44 special, 10mm with hard cast bullets could possibly work if your not Craig from Krypton.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think "full frame" refers to size not weight but generations of gun writers could be wrong.

Agree that a 329 with 320s is a handful BUT recoil is really not an issue when a bear is trying to get on the horse with you or inside your tent.

With 180s, it's no worse than many large caliber "compact" semi-autos.

Rather have an accurate first shot than spray and pray

The light weight insures it always gets taken. A "better" gun sitting in the safe is about as useful as teats on a boar hog.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Flaves 44 special NG seems about right.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
No you (and the writers) are correct.....that was tongue -in-cheek (note the smiley thingie).

I hadn't taken the lightweights into account when I made the initial comment..... forgetful on my part.

George

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Yep......though I'd likely roll a ,45 or *gasp* a 10mm version. Oh, schit, I forgot, the 10mm is "inadequate"!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
George, seems like for anything we would run into on our side the Mississippi a k frame smith would do everything we would need,

Or even a Glock 40/357 sig

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You said the "G" word! smile

Likely work well west of the Mississippi too!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been in enough hairy situations to know that the G word works when needed

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, just noticed, most of you boys never need to worry about anything bigger than a rabid skunk or a 2 legged predator.

No real bears or wolves East of the big muddy (yet).

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Some good sized bears is as good as we get....grin.

That's why I generally preface with "around here" or "my needs".

I'll assume (dangerous, I know) that you're in big mountain/big bear country based on your last statement. I'd likely change my criteria a bit were I in your AO.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yea, there are more than a few bears killed here every year that are over the 600 pound mark....IMO that qualifies as big

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
deflave, good pictures of your trail guns, but where's the coveted LCR .22?

I carry that all the time but not where I go backpacking.

Typically.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Yep......though I'd likely roll a ,45 or *gasp* a 10mm version. Oh, schit, I forgot, the 10mm is "inadequate"!

I have a 310NG as well but the 396 kicks its ass for a backpacking gun.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sigh.......but then I'd have to add on another caliber to the househol. I've been good about consolidation lately!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The G23 or 22 is tough to beat.

Overall.

Dave

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Boy this [bleep] gets old...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.