Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The reason the 35 and 35P are no longer made has been explained several times here. Dr. Oehler is too successful selling chronographs to the military, he simply doesn't have time to devote to the civilian handloader market anymore.

My 35 isn't for sale at any price short of enough to pay off my mortgage. I went through too many other brands and got tired of velocity readings of "Err" or no reading at all. Got so frustrated with a Pact model one day I disassembled it with a cylinderful of 220 WFNGC's from a .41 Mangum. That was a very good use of #2 alloy IMO.

My Oehler has given me years and years of reliable service and I expect it to last for many more years.

I bought a Custom Chronograph about 1982 (the kind with the paper screens). If the paper screens were still available, I would still be using it--it was that good.

When I finally ran out of screens, I bought a Shooting Chrony in the early 90's--that sucker quickly found it's way to a cardboard box under my reloading bench.....

Next up was a PACT (can't remember which model)--that sucker found it's way into the alfalfa field behind the house (if I could have thrown it further, I would have).

So I bit the bullet on the ogive and sprung for a M35 (no printer, but has the third screen (my trusty 3 ring binder is all the data processing I need).

But if somebody was going to offer me $665 for my M35, I'd consider selling it, buying a CED M2, and with the remainder I'd go looking for another used M700 to add to my collection........

Either that or just go out and buy a couple lifetimes supply of Federal primers whistle whistle

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by logger
Ken:

Do you have the acoustic target with your 43? �

Yep.

Wonderful module. Very versatile. Highly recommended.

I also have the long-range amplifier (usable to 1,200 yards, IIRC) but no cable for it.

Are you interested in selling the unit?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 35 had one problem. I liked the accuracy and reliability, but setting it up each time was so involved that I didn't use it much and eventually sold it. IIRC I paid $215 after they announced the model's discontinuance, and sold it for $330, but that was a couple of years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
The 35 had one problem. I liked the accuracy and reliability, but setting it up each time was so involved that I didn't use it much . . .

Pretty much nailed it there. That's why I've used mine like 6 times in 8 years. Public range, lots of yo-yo's, PITA to set up, rains a lot in SE-AK.

I figure I might be able to fetch $400 and then buy a smaller, easier to set up unit.

If you think I jest on the price that 35P went for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oehler-35P-Chronograph_W0QQitemZ160313987216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160313987216&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1 on the 43PBL. Can't see parting with it for any price a sane individual might offer.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by logger
Ken:

Do you have the acoustic target with your 43? �

Yep.

Wonderful module. Very versatile. Highly recommended.

I also have the long-range amplifier (usable to 1,200 yards, IIRC) but no cable for it.

Are you interested in selling the unit?

Would love to see it go to a good home � the whole outfit as a single package, not module by module.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How much are you asking?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not asking.

"Good enough" isn't.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
He is looking for bids, kind of like an auction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask Ken Oehler for a copy of the old Model 43 price list. I'll sell mine for that. And I have a bunch of extra strain guages!

He assures me that service will continue to be available, including the latest software revisions.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll give my 35-P and my Model 43 � with gobs of extras � gratis to friends who'll come haul 'em off before I'll break a sweat trying to persuade a stranger to take a piece of my hide with either one.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I got my Model 43, the costs were as follows below. The battery has gone dead, and the chemicals are out of date. OTOH, I have bought several extra strain gauges ($10 each IIRC) from the source that supplied them to Oehler (I don't know how many I have), and I also have the long-range amplifier but don't remember its cost. I've added a number of smaller accessories, whose total value totally escapes me.

basic Model 43 - - - - - - - - - - - - $1,800
acoustic target - - - - - - - - - - - $1,200
pressure module - - - - - - - - - - - - $200

All told, I'd guess that the entire outfit ought to be worth $3,500 or more � depending, as always, on who wants it, how urgently he wants it, and whether he can afford it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As anyone can tell from across the river on a clear day, it ain't a Chrony! wink

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I�ll admit the model 35 can be a problem to set up on a public shooting range. I have used my model 35P for many years on public ranges. I use two music stands and have the sky screens mounted on a piece of conduit. I keep the whole mess in a plastic rifle case. With practice I can set up in just a few minutes. I use a target with a four inch square aim point and I am able to shoot four groups without replacing a target at 100-yards by aiming for the corners.

The real problem with the Oehler Model 35 chronograph is not set up difficulties but its susceptibility to dirt. I live in West Texas and there is a lot of blowing dirt on our ranges. The blowing dirt will clog the printer on the 35P quickly. This may be easily cleaned at home but it prevents use of the printer during certain times of the year.
Another problem with the Model 35 is the susceptibility of the sky screen housings and sun shades to damage from gas checks, sabots and shot cups. I have never been able to come up with a satisfactory solution to the protection of the sky screens.
The Oehler 35P is quite susceptible to water. Chronographing in light rain or blowing rain will cause problems such as the printer running away and false shots or missed shots.
The little Chrony Beta Master has no fear of snow or rain and functions quite well in a light rain.

The Model 35 is easy to dry out and easy to clean up but it is not an all-weather unit.
The advantages of the model 35 are its superior sky screens and their ability to consistently pick up shots on cloudy days and with low angle light.
Our primary shooting range faces north and the bright, low angle sunlight at dawn will defeat many chronographs, particularly when shooting cast bullets. The Oehler Model 35 rarely misses a shot under these circumstances. The Model 35 will consistently pick up shots on overcast days and when the bench unit is bagged works reasonably well in wet weather and cold weather.

My sky screen holders are pretty well used up at the moment and I ordered a Chrony Beta Master to get by until I can rebuild the holders.
The Chrony Beta Master will down load directly into RCBS Load and the Load program will automatically graph the data by fps per grain of powder and store the data in a file folder. I am looking forward to this feature as it will save some time when working with range data.

Slim
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Slim, very informative.
And, unfortunately, beyond my present computer skills. But that can be fixed. Maybe.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Oehler is a pretty fine chronograph for all around use and one of its finest features is simplicity of operation.
I set up the chronograph behind the firing line and when a cease fire is called carry it out mounted on the music stands. My wife or a fellow shooter helps me align the screens with the target and I am ready in minutes. When mounted on music stands the sky screens must be sand bagged or a wind gust will topple the rig.

You should try the Lee Shooter program � about $12.00 from Midsouth. This program has a good external trajectory chart and a fair log for load data. It is a simple little program with a good bullet data base.

Edit] You should also look at Greg�s RCBS Load pages at the link below. Based on feedback from computer challenged shooters like me Greg has vastly improved the RCBS Load program and the updates are available for all older programs. Greg has added almost infinite bullets shapes to the cartridge Designed function along with color for the cartridge case drawings. Load has an excellent external ballistics program. One of the interesting features is a page which gives you the case capacity for most of the canister powders available today. Simply seat a bullet and the capacity for all of the powders changes. This is not load data but helps to find case filling loads and is useful for other calculations. There is another feature which gives bolt thrust and radial barrel thrust in the chamber area which is quite interesting. You can while away many winter hours playing with this program.
The learning curve is a bit steep for the load data retrieval and storage pages but the on-line help function is very good and when all else fails Greg is very good about answering questions � and occasionally taking us by the hand and leading us to the light�

http://www.gmdr.com/

Last edited by william_iorg; 02/24/09.

Slim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.