Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

gmsemel,

Chub and I built a rifle each in the cartridge: both were 6.5-280 Ackley Improved. Chub's is marked 6.5 Blowhole Express and mine was maked .264 Brainfart Express (we share a weird humor grin).

I later gravitated to the 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved, mostly because the dies were quite standard and great brass was much more plentiful. I had Gordy Gritters make the rifle using a Krieger barrel, McSwirley RemClassic stock and bushed bolt.

The 6.5-280 Ackley offers slightly increased powder capacity, but the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved is still probably the most practical large .264" hunting cartridge for those who want the most performance with the least recoil.

I wrote a two-part article on the Gordy Gun and the 6.5-'06 Ackley. Heck of a cartridge.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, that explains every thing.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want a Blowhole Express grin grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gmsemel, If you have access to any of the back issues of the VHA magazine, issues #48 and #49 have Steve's article on the building of his 6.5-06. The article is a very thorough and informative piece of work that covers the project from start to finish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
gmsemel, The article is a very thorough and informative piece of work that covers the project from start to finish.

As was all his articles in VHA.

Al

IC B2

Prwlr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info DZ.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Was there a way, in hindsight, that you could have taken care of your shoulder better. Say lifting weights or something? Mine has been hurting lately and I'm a bunch younger than you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DakotaDeer,

Probably not, something none of my readers know was that I was a bodybuilder (also a marathon runner) during a lot of my life.

Karen and I even lived with Frank and Chris Zane for a while down at Zane Haven, learning the right way to keep in shape. Frank, of course, was Mr. Olympia shortly after Arnold Swartzeneger.

Frank Zane, by the way, lead two lives in his youth. He was an absolute world-class archer and also he was the incredible bodybuilder that we all know. When it came to make a decision of which career path to follow, the bodybuilding offered the better cash benefits, so that is the way he chose. Frank is a friend and as fine a man as you will ever meet.

Karen and I have always lead an active lifestyle, so I don't know how I could have prevented the shoulder problem. Exercise, free weights, running and months of hunting every single year. A life well lived.

Frankly, Dakota, the antelope thing was just one of those events that happens. If I had ten bucks for every mile I humped an elk quarter, or a half-deer or an antelope, it would be a pile of cash. We're half mule and we might as well admit it. grin

Some would ask, "Why didn't you just drive out on the prairie." The answer is that our host, Tom Hougen, specifically requests that hunters don't leave the two-track with vehicles. He might easily be messing with his cows in a blizzard in February and mistakenly follow that old path. And it might kill him.

Frankly, Tom is a great guy and I would never do anything to disrespect that fine man or that would put him at the slightest risk. If he asks anything of me, that's good enough for me.

The bad thing is that my other shoulder, the left one, is now going bum. I'm trying to ignore the bugger, but it's not getting better. Maybe hard workouts with the rubber bands that the PT lady gave me would help. Crap, I don't even want to think about it. :angry:

Considering that Karen and I have lived life to it's absolute physical fullest ... no regrets. None at all.

Dakota, I wish you the best of luck with your shoulder. Hey, exercise; clean free weight work, with light dumb bells and work up to lots of reps and sets, might just be the ticket. Good luck, my friend.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a link to a product that helps me:

http://www.betterfitnessproducts.com/shoulderhorn.html%23101

It is designed to specifically exercise the rotator cuff. It supports your arms while you exercise, and it can provide dramatic improvements. The exercise includes using light hand weights. Read the info at the link for more details.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.