Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anybody used one of these? If so do they work? Do they work on no-seeums?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am not in Alaska, however, please allow me to comment:

I use a thermacell when hunting in Georgia and they are GREAT!!

We have sand gnats and mosquitos, and usually our opening month is in the high 70's to high 80's; pretty miserable hunting conditions, IMO.

Also, last summer I went hiking in Maine in the 100 mile Wilderness. Mosquitos, black flies, and biting flies are prevelant, and YES, My thermacell worked like a champ there too.

Definately worth the investment if you are outdoors with the gnats, flies, mosquitos, and bugs.

Follow manufacturers instructions for replaceing the pads. I have never had a butane bottle run out, they get low and I replace them.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It might be the best 30 bucks you ever spent......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i use one here in pa. best money i ever spent. it would be nice if it had a clip on it so you could clip it on your belt though.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I will also add even though I'm not in Alaska that they work great!
I use mine when I'm hunting early season as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do work great. Sure wish I could refill them little bottles. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Last edited by GrizzlyBear; 02/22/09.
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought 2 to try after reading a thread here last year about their effectiveness. I mainly use them when grilling out on my deck in the evening; northern Wisconsin with an alder swamp less than 30 yards from the deck. I liked them enough that I bought 2 each for a brother and 2 sisters; all say they keep mosquitos down enough to make it enjoyable to sit outside on warm evenings. I bought mine after the no see ums were through for the year; will find out this spring if they're as effective on them as mosquitos. I think they are a very good product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukon375
i use one here in pa. best money i ever spent. it would be nice if it had a clip on it so you could clip it on your belt though.

I'll echo others here that they work great, mine has a little fabric slipover that you can then velcro to your belt or a pack.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good friend of mine who is in the business, invited me on the some testing of this product in the swamps of South Carolina at a place called Black River Plantation. Hunting hogs in the hot weather in the swamps...in short sleeves, shorts & snake boots. Let me tell you, the STUFF WORKS! We were literally being carried off by mosquitoes until we lit that thing off. Great stuff. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used one for spring bear baiting season. I could literally see the bugs flying a couple feet away and was never bothered by them. It takes a couple minutes for it to get up and running, but once it was running it was a dream come true.

The draw back is wind will affect their ability to protect you. Even a slight breeze can blow the scent away. Just make sure to place it on the upwind side and you shouldn't have a problem. If it's too windy for the Thermacell, then you probably won't have bugs bothering you any way.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll attest to the fact that they work as well. I dunno about the no-seeums tho. They are the only thing we found to really allow us to sit out in our yard at night in the summer. You probably want several though because, as was mentioned, the wind can affect them. We place 3-4 in a circle & they seem to work better. Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
where you get em Bear?

I'm a big fan of the Mosquito magnet gizmos.

same principles at work?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
where you get em Bear?

I'm a big fan of the Mosquito magnet gizmos.

same principles at work?

We got 'em last summer. As I recall, we got several at S.W. - the last ones they had at the time. We then happened to find a couple kinda hidden & marked down at Walmart. I'm certain I've seen 'em at Frontier Sporting goods too (useta be Sentry Sporting Goods) in Fairtown.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tks Bear

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If they work against no-see-ums, that will be a first in my experience.

My experience is that even with 100% DEET, the little bastids bore in and bite you- before dying, of course.

I think those things have no nervous system at all! The only effective defense I have found to date is netting- which I hate, while hunting.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Wal-mart & Freddy's usually both carry them & the refill packs. The only problem is the refills are starting to get spendy.
Oh well what can you do

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the feedback guys I appreciate it. Sounds like I might have to get a few.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't go in the woods without one.
Best piece of outdoor equipment I've ever bought.
Use mine in Florida woods & swamps. They really work

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They won't work while walking. And it takes a few minutes for the air around you to "saturate". But they do work. It does a great job for a stationary position.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.