Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ongoing update on the "new" M70 270 for those interested....pretty boring really as there is nothing to report other than the rifle continues to pump out sub MOA groups and behaves more like a synthetic stocked rifle than a wood stocked one......I credit that to the nicely floated barrel and the tight bedding of the action. The trigger is very pleasant to use;durability? Who knows confused

First shot from a cold barrel continues to land where it should and it shoots tighter with my load of 61-H4831-130 Nosler Partition,than it does with 130 gr Fusion factory(it shoots well with that,too!)I have not chronographed anything, but may not bother;the load has given 3050-3125 in so many 270's I've lost count,so why bother......

The snow has melted back,so I can now get to 300-400 yards,but time has been a problem; I will get to that within the next couple of days.The 4X Zeiss Conquest continues to behave as well.The rifle now has about 100 rounds through it, I think;about 4 boxes of Fusions and 20-odd handloads.....

If you're looking for a rifle to give you fits,challenge your reloading prowess and other technical rifle skills,keep you awake nights pondering how to make it shoot...........this one ain't it.........

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool Bob!

I'm assuming they are bedded at the factory?

Do you have the Sporter of Featherweight? 22" tube?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with my FN M70FWT 270 parallels Bob's, except the bullets are the 130gr Solid Base and 140gr Sierra HPBT.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker

Bob,

I bought one in 270 a few weeks ago,mine feeds and funtions perfectly and shoots 140 grain Hornady factory loads into little clusters that are close to half moa.

I have not bothered to try anything else in it.

I bought two new rifles this fall,the FN M70 Featherweight in 270,and a Kimber Select in 257 Roberts. Both of them shot close to half moa with the first load I tried and both feed slicker than you can imagine.

The fit and finish of both is very nice too,they are both very boring because I don't need to spend five hundred dollars on either of them to get them to run right or group well.

I know it's kinda popular to bash FN and Kimber,but both seem to really have their act together based on my recent experiences.

I see you bought almost the exact same guns this year as well,..... Great Minds thinkin alike maybe. grin

Glad your rifles were as good as mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Quick hijack...

What does your Kimber like to shoot?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like you got a good one Bob.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the fusion beats out the partition for accuracy at the longer ranges.
I have not yet examined one, does it say Winchester anywhere on the gun, or FN or BOCA?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Guys that is good news thanks for the update.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Britt:I was thinking the same thing... cool In your case I suspect genius; in mine...dumb luck!Ha!

My experience with the Kimber tracks yours,although I have still only shot one load(Sam,note)48-H4350-100 Sierra-WW brass and WW primer(yes I know it's over book;primer pockets still tight on 3rd loading;velocity a hair under 3100,and groups are like Brittsie small....)

Sam: The 270 is a FW;the silly thing is a drill. I think the whole rifle is just a "tighter" specimen than the Classic. Every one I pick up has the same bolt,trigger and safety movement;very chrisp and nicely done.The bedding MUST be good,because the rifle shoots so well. I have not taken it outta the stock,and likely won't for awhile. I had 40-50 rounds through it before the barrel wanted cleaning.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
StrayDog: Says Boca somwhere.....it seems a good one. I will try the Partition and Fusion at 300 and see....

Southtexas: I guess they are not terribly fussy and seem to shoot lotsa stuff well, based on what I hear from you guys...

I wish to hell I had an excuse to get another one.....but can't come up with a reason.....I should be grateful because the days when I want to mess with irratable,cranky rifles is long past...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds interesting, the last M-70 in 270 I had, needed a bedding job before it would shoot well enough. I find this interesting for an out of the Box feather weight to do this. So the new triggers make it worth the effort? Seems like they do.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry I missed you,Sam. Everything is stock factory...I tightened the screws, slapped on the Conquest,and went to the range.......sick,really. The Kimber 257 is the same way....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds good Bob, let us know how it does farther out.
If the Partitions don't shoot at 300 you could always be like me and try some Accubonds......grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you definately got a winner there Bob. Nothing wrong wtih having a boring rifle like that. Congrats!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gmsemel

according to my gauge, the trigger breaks at 4lbs. This is a little more than I normally like, but it is so crisp that it feels lighter, and the rifle shoots so well, I hesitate to remove the stock to mess with anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Robert-

Everything you HAVE shoots like that. Thinking it has something to do with the feller standing behind the rifle as well.....<grin>

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Not to hijack the thread but......

Skane,

I enjoyed meeting your dad and spending a morning with him,I told him it would be a little like going on vacation and doing 'The Dolphin Experience',except it would be 'The Redneck Experince'.

He is a fine gentleman,I have never seen a man practice safer gun handling,I told him to come back again,maybe you can too. Rednecks need the PR. grin

He got some pretty cool pix,maybe you can post them for him when he gets home.

Now..... back to FN and their new trigger,it feels very good out of the box,mine is about 3.5 lbs and is a pleasure.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 02/24/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sounds like time to hang some steel plates and shoot it off yer hind legs...
maybe even some moving targets on top of a remote control toy truck???

maybe load up 200 rounds and shoot them all that way???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats. The way it should workout. I'm thinking when a 7mm-08 pops up, I'll be hoping for the same boring results.

Last edited by battue; 02/24/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that's the kind of "boring" rifle that I'd like. Congrats BobinNH on that fine shooter.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Robert-

Everything you HAVE shoots like that. Thinking it has something to do with the feller standing behind the rifle as well.....<grin>

Skane: HA! Thanks but the only thing I can take credit for is having been around long enough to recognize the "clunkers",and get rid of them! THAT's why all the one's I have shoot well; I sift through them and keep the good one's!

john w is right and agree 100%; our club does not allow gongs;but weather,snow depth,work and other responsibilities have kept me from shooting as much as I like; also my time at the bench has been limited as well,so I have pretty much been shooting "leftovers",but will take the 80 rounds of federal brass and load them up. I do most of my offhand,tight sling, and sitting practice at 200 yards;field prone and tight sling at 300 and 400; the rifle will get these drills and have to pass"muster" before it will go on a hunt. I have spent the first 100 rounds getting acquainted...... smile

Skunk and others; it seems I'm not the only one happy with results from these rifles,as results seem uniform.Just want to share results for those who may be contemplating a purchase...the rifle caught me a bit off guard....wanted to report honestly what the rifle is doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 17,183 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,885
Posts18,538,419
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.