Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2822026 02/17/09
B
Badland Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Has anyone used this for on there muzzle loaders? Have heard it makes seating bullets way easier and cleans up better/faster. Thanks, Tim

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use it on all my gun's bores. Smoke poles included. After a couple good bore polishing sessions , I only use it every once in a while.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
every muzzleloader ive owned has gotten the Flitz / steelwool treatment. Works great for final polishing on locks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just shot my T/C Endeavor on Monday that needs a "Flitz" job.
The inside of the barrel looks like the cutting broach came from the trash bin out back of T/C.

After 4 boxes of 200 gr. shock-waves and 1 can of BH-209 I did finally get a 3/4 inch group. I will have to re-test to assure the group is not a fluke. Is so, the barrel is going back to T/C.

Ieven shot some Hornday FPB 350 gr bullets in it so "BIGBLOCK455" and "swrshooter" did not think I was a "sabot" snob.

The twist and out breechplug is the only way to go.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
doc ,you shoulda went with powerbelts!!!!

Last edited by srwshooter; 02/18/09.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by srwshooter
doc ,you shoulda went with powerbelts!!!!

I knew that comment was coming ...sort of. By the pictures you posted this past hunting season I can't argue with your success.

I am a committed Hornady shooter followed by Barnes. smile

I wish I had some Flitz for this Endeavor barrel.

Doc

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Going by your handle I figure you have forgot more about Encores than I know. Just want to say mine and my brother's plain Encores shot like 2-3" groups. Sent an e-mail to Mr. Bellm and he turned me on to David White. I sent him my barrel he chopped the QLA down and with same loads shot a inch and better. Brothers did the same.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Kaleb I have a friend with an Encore that is having issues with accuracy, sent it back to factory, they said it was fine, still not shooting well, what do you mean by QLA? I would say the Flitz wouldn't hurt either, I shoot traditional myself but would like to help him out.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's the "quick load alignment" or something like that. There is about a inch at the end of the barrel that has had the rifling cut out so the bullet or sabot will set down into the barrel. It makes it easier to start your load. I was told while its a great idea many of them are offcenter. Kinda like a rifel with a messed up crown I guess.

I was very sad at the way my new high dollar ML shot and started reading everything I could find. With TC all roads seemed to point to Mike Bellm and I emailed or called him. He told me about the QLA thing and told me David White was doing a lot of that work. I talked to David and sent him my barrel. He left enough of it so I can still load my gun with ease and it shoot great. Seems like all in all it costs about 140 bucks and that includes a new Bellm hing pin. Just look here....

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/dandtcustomgunworks/vpost?id=2045528

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Doc, You need a Bergara barrel for that TC.

And some powerbelts!

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Going by your handle I figure you have forgot more about Encores than I know. Just want to say mine and my brother's plain Encores shot like 2-3" groups. Sent an e-mail to Mr. Bellm and he turned me on to David White. I sent him my barrel he chopped the QLA down and with same loads shot a inch and better. Brothers did the same.

Some barrels with the right load can be sub-inch shooters. I could just look down this Endeavor barrel and tell it was going to be challanging. But T/C barrels are "No" different than any one else's barrel in that regards. Some will shoot sub MOA and some are 2-3 inches. It's the luck of the draw.

The "QLA" is wonderful and works as intended but only if it like any other rifle crown is cut absolutely concentric to the bore.

My last 5 T/C barrels shoot like custom barrels but this one is still questionable. More range time will will determine it's future.

Doc

B
Badland Offline OP
OP Offline
B
bigblock455, could you share some lite on the steal wool treatment. I plan on getting some Flitz and trying, read good things about it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you'd like to smoothout/freshin up your bore just take a bore brush and wrap a thin layer of 0000 steelwool around it and then take the flitz and apply it on the entire bore brush and smooth it out evenly with your finger. After that you just have to do about 50 to 75 strokes down the bore, freshing up the flitz about after 25 strokes to ensure it does not dry out. After that just run dry patches to clean out the flitz.

i always give my barrels a hot soapy bath afterwards and using a bore mop. Cleans up the barrels really nice. After this treatment you can really tell that you now have a smooth barrel.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I also make a habit of picking up a few shot sabots from the ground. Any internal barrel issues will show up in the groves made on the sabot.

Doc

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
bb455,

Does this work better than using JB Bore Paste?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
jb bore paste i believe is abrasive, its great for getting a really rough bore smooth. If you have a smooth barrel as it is, flitz with steelwool will help get any small (not so big of a deal) imprefections out.

Once a barrel pits, its there no matter what you use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah, OK. Thank you for the clarification.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't understand the purpose of using Flitz in the bore of a muzzleloader.

A new muzzleloader bore will even out well after a hundred shots. That should do it. After that, if you are shooting a traditional muzzleloader, further polishing of the bore will throw off the ballistics of whatever established charge, ball, patch combination you are working with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if you are shooting a traditional muzzleloader, polishing the bore is an excellent thing. Any small burrs will shred the patch and really mess up your accuracy.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Any small burrs will shred the patch

That is what the first hundred shots is for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.