Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking for a new bino. Bought a Zeiss 8x40 Victory 5 years ago that has NOT stood the test of time. NO help off Zeiss either. So, I am off Zeiss.
I want a good, dependable bino that does not leave me hurting like the Zeiss if broken. I do have insurance on my equipment, but you know how that goes.

I need:

- 10x40 (or similar)

I want:

- central focusing
- gas filling / waterproof
- robust overall build
- good optics

I found:

Minox BD 10x44BP
http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=114&L=1

Testreports on the net are positive.

I have ordered one for testing and will report. The price: $US 360 (at todays rate).

Note: I am not looking for a bino that costs nothing and delivers more than top dollar svaros.

Any experience with these, anybody?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a pair of the Minox roofs (8 x 33 HG) and am real impressed with the build and optics. Based on my limited experiences with mine thus far, I have no reservations in recommending them. Great binos.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have the 8x44 Minox BD BP porros as well as the Leupold Cascade porro 8x42s. They are, in most practical senses, the same binocular.

Both bins are/have...

- Very bright compared to anything else in this price range
- Very sharp...most certainly sharper than any of the $300 roofs
- Excellent edge to edge sharpness
- Superb (arguably the best I have ever owned) depth of field (for an 8x.)

Negatives for both....

- narrower true and apparent field of view in comparison to other bins of this optical caliber. However, they are very much comparable (in the 8x version) with other bins in this price range.

Differences between the two...

- several ounces of weight (the Leupold is noticeably lighter)
- handling (the Leupold is more ergonomic)
- Brightness (the Minox is a hair brighter)
- Price (The Leupold is about $150 cheaper at the price you quoted for the Minox)

Both are made in Japan if I am not mistaken.

Frank
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Being on a porro kick lately, I recently tested, in store, mid size porros from Nikon, Leupold and Pentax. I can't remember all of the models, but I do remember being very impressed by those Leupold Cascades. I also know that I was very much unimpressed by the Nikon and Pentax, this did not include the excellent Nikon SEs.

I haven't been able to check out the Minox, if they are in the same ballpark as the Cascades they must be good indeed.
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me too Glacier John. I have been looking at nothing but porros. I picked up the Bushnell Legend 8x42's and used them instead of my Wind Rive Pinnacles this season. I found them just a whole lot less trouble. They are bigger and heavier but that trade off was well worth the lack of "futzing" I had to do during any viewing session. Now looking at something smaller and waiting to hear a comparison between the Yosemites and Vortex Raptor's.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Minox binos have all been roof prisms. I do have a Swaro Habicht 7X42 that I have had for years, you might look at them too.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim, I also have teh 7X42 Swarovski Habicht porro prisms and love them. That was the first good binocular I ever owned and should have been the last as the collection has expanded too much. There's not much that bino is lacking in almost any situation. Ward

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Am just on the way to the postoffice to pick up the binos.
Will report. Thanks.

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First look.

Minox Porro 10x44

Overall impression: Sturdy. Positive. Stressfree watching.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice pics! I love actually being able to see what a game animal will actually look like through the bins.

I think it would be smart for other manufacturer's to utilize this when marketing their bins.

Frank
IC B3

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FrankD,

thank you very much. Just so their is no confusion. I have no ties with Minox. Just a user trying out stuff. The picture taking through optics is a hobby of mine. I do not digi-scope truly. I just hold the camera (Pentay Optio E 50 - cheap digi) behind the okular. With practice, that works.

In this thread is a pic of a fox though a rifle scope:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post2815089

Thanks.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice thanks. I understood where you were coming from but thought it an interesting perspective regardless.

I often take some digi-binned shots through my various binoculars. It is fun to do comparisons.

Frank
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have owned a couple of pairs of Minox roofy in the past. Overall, the quality is good. I would love to try out some Porros from Minox.

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FrankD,

yes, so lets see some off your pics. May be we are on to something here?

Hawker, so far, I would highly recommend them. Hope that lasts, but I am quite convinced.

Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I notice from other posts by FrankD that the Leupold Cascade is a right eye diopter set up. The obvious similarities in the appearance of these two have raised the obvious questions of how closely related they might be. Is the Minox diopter the same way?

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The integral eye adjustment for vision difference on the Minox is on the left side. You first focus the right, then raise the disk on the central focussing dial and adjust for left eye. Lower the disk and the setting is fixed.

[Linked Image]

The picture shows the disk raised, the left eye cup lowered and the right one up.

If the Leupold Cascades Porros are like these, they are a snap at the prices I have seen them in the US.

From what I could find, they appear the same, execept for the Argon Gas filling on the Minox and slight differences in objective diameter (42 / 44 mm).

The Leupolds are offered (sell?) in continental for around 400 EUR ($US ~ 530). In the US they seem to be on sale for 200 - 250 $.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
cmg,
Thanks. My bad. That is like the Cascade, a left eye diopter. I mistyped the location in my query.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
From my experience both binoculars offer practically identical optical performance though I did pick up an "ever so slight" color bias difference. I no longer have the Minoxs so I cannot do the comparison further.

Ergonomically they felt a bit different. The Minox's thicker rubber armor was noticeable from this perspective. The weight difference wasn't quite as substantial though in my opinion.

Either of these would be an excellent option out there for someone looking for the benefits of an internal focus design coupled with the benefits of the porro prisms. At the price the Leupold porro is selling at in the US right now it is almost a "no-brainer".

Frank
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
CMG,

I would ask if you could do me a favor. I don't have my Minox's anymore but need some help with the diopter adjustment. Is it the same as the Leupold Cascade in that the center focusing knob "end" pops out and the rotates? I remember the graduations posted on the portion of the knob that is revealed after you pop the outer section out. The graduations section doesn't move, but rather the outside of the knob does, yes? If you get a chance to take a pic of this and post it I would appreciate it.

I am going to send you a pm with the same question but with how difficult it is to see the little red-flashing envelope I thought this would be the smarter route to take.

Thanks.

Last edited by FrankD; 02/25/09.

Frank
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Frank, and all,

here is a pic of the requested issue. Your memory is correct.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,271 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.