Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On an upcoming trip my mom (5'3'' and thin) and my nine year old son may have the chance to hunt with me. I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger compact in 260. One of the MK 2 because I like the finish better than the Hawkeyes. I found where I can order one that will be $656 after everything. (I know that isn't the best price, and after the trigger job, bedding, and better pad, it will be even worse.)To fund this gun, I would HAVE TO move another gun. The only gun without sentimental value is the Tikka T3 I got last year. I love the way that gun shots and handles. But I'm having a lot of redidual guilt for not carrying a CRF (too many years of doing it.) And Alaskacub"s story of his Tikka rusting is nagging at me, always in the back of my mind,crying, "What's under the stock? What's under the stock? (Think of Brad Pitt's character in the movie "Seven" asking "What's in the box?)
Anyway, I was wondering how the guys who have theRuger compacts like them? I know Rugers are tough and dependable, I'm more curious about the type of accuracy you guys are getting?
I've followed some recent threads where it seems several guys don't like the magnums in the short barrel, but the .260 would be more appropriate, right?
I have two concerns. The first is that a friend of a friend (I know that isn't always the best way to get info., but I trust this guy.)He had one and tried everything and couldn't get it to shoot.
My other concern is that I used to have a 270 Ruger ultralight. Without the pressure point, it was no good. With the pressure, it was good for two, and then if I didn't let it cool all the way down, it would walk the group badly. Plus, the gun was really muzzle light. I was thinking, if I get the compact, about drilling some holes in the buttstock,under the pad and out of sight, to lighten the butt up a little.
I held a blue version of the Hawkeye in the store two weeks ago. I liked how small it was and how it felt.
My other option, which would save a lot of badly need cash, is to just take the Tikka t3. It is light, but still too heavy for my boy. Over sticks it might be okay, but I'm afraid it would still be too unweildy. I could have the stock cut shorter and a pad installed, but then it would be too short for me. I could probably live with that though, I'm usually wearing a coat. (Plus I already have a Limbsaver pad on it which then wouldn't fit.)
Sorry for the rambling. What do you guys think of yor compact Rugers? I know the smart thing would be to save so I could have both rifles both, but that isn't going to happen in time and I don't want to charge it.
Thanks

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll offer up a couple of thoughts if you don't mind.

First off, while I like the feel of the Ruger Compacts I am not personally a fan of the 16" barrel concept. Main reason being noise factor as I won't hunt with ear plugs or muffs. Plus I am a bit leary of accuracy issues that may show up.

To date as hard as I have tried I have yet to find a lightweight Ruger that will shoot in a manner that is acceptable to me. Now that doesn't mean that they don't exist, I've just not had the good fortune to find one (yet).

So I offer up another thought and the way I went for my wife and 9 year old Grandson as well. I took a youth 700 in 308, and restocked it with a Ti take off. I have less than 500 in the gun and it shoots very well and is one of the most user friendly rifles that I've ever been around. It weighs 6 lbs naked and so with a scope that fits it physically (not a Dolly scope), Talley's and an Uncle Mike's Mtn sling it is a bit over 7 loaded and ready to rock. And this is not too formidable for my petite wife and or Grandson who is in 3rd grade.

Just a thought but I bet you could find a Youth 700 (I like the 20" tube and the weight of the standard contour. I do have a 700/270 Mtn contour and have thought about turning it into a 270/08).

Many ways to skin this dog, good luck to ya! And whatever you do get your wifes and kids out on the hill as much as you can.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh and if you and your fam ever gets this way let me know and we can meet up at the range and they can give this lil rig a test run, I have confidence that they'll likey it...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd take a look at the Model 7's, and perhaps a Kimber 84 (if its in the budget after trading)

My 8 year old daughter loves to shoot my 260 Model 7 with 90-100 grain bullets. She's not quite big enough to handle it from field positions, but when you put a bi-pod on the front and let her shoot it off a bench, she whoops up on the clubs gongs.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan, it don't get much better that watchin a kid kick butt does it!

Dober

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As opposed to the "Battle of the Compacts" thread that I started, hopefully I`ll stay out of trouble on this one.

Yep! I`ve got that rifle that nobody likes. The Ruger Frontier in the 300 WSM. An `06 model. Too much cartridge for a compact they say. From personal experience, not for me. But that is besides the point.

I did replace the trigger assembly on mine with a much better pull and crispness. Rugers new and much better LC6 triggers were not available until `07.

Don`t know if you are aware of this, but I see on the Ruger site that the 260 Remy is available in the compact Hawkeyes in either the laminated or in the wood stocked version. If you go with the new one you won`t need to pursue a new trigger.

As far as accuracy is concerned, there are very few but always some less than accurate rifles from just about every manufacturer and from Ruger`s past, perhaps more than was necessary. Ruger I believe in more recent years, has addressed that issue. I happened to get a real good one in that dept. I reload, so I`ve tailored the components, seating depths etc to what my particular rifle likes, as you should also do if you`re a reloader. Imo, the new Hawkeyes are better than the older or more recent MK2`s.

As far as barrel heat in concerned? Yes! The shorter barrel will heat up faster. I take about 2-3 minutes in between shots at the range. You can also drape a damp but well wrung out towel over the barrel. Even though shorter tubes have less barrel writhe or less vibrations, I also use a rubber barrel de-resonator which helps settle the barrel down in between shots. This has helped tighten my groups. My best 3 shot OD grouping was .392" using some IMR 4007.

There are other issues that people are concerned with when it comes to the compacts. Being a little too muzzle light is one. With some practice and some techniques, shooting freehand, I have solved the issue of a lighter muzzle. But that is with me.

Secondly is the noise issue. My 300 certainly has some noise, especially when using max loads. More reduced loadings have less noise. I wear hearing protection at the range as always and on hunts. Some are not comfortable wearing hearing protection while hunting. That is their choice. There are some very good products out there one can wear while hunting.

Thirdly is the muzzle flash. With mine, regardless of the loading, there is little noticeable "daytime" muzzle flash. I don`t hunt in the dark so flash isn`t an issue. If I did, it still wouldn`t bother me. But again, that`s ok with me but may not be for someone else.

The new Hawkeye compacts are listed a pound lighter than the older MK2`s at 5 3/4 lbs. My Frontier weighs 6 3/4 lbs without the scope. The Rugers are somewhat lighter than the 20" barreled Remy 7`s and imo handle better as well. The Ruger comapcts have a shorter LOP at only 12.5" which enables them to be shouldered quickly and handle better. At 6'3" 240 lbs, the compact is still not too small for me.

In my case, I wanted good long range performance, great handling, great carrying, accuracy, and all from a lighter weight, shorter OAL rifle. For myself anyway, those features trump any additional noise, a lighter muzzle and any alleged muzzle flash.

For someone smaller and younger, I tend to think that a 260 Remy is a great choice in a compact.

PS: I`m not on Ruger`s payroll! LOL!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, thanks for the responses, and Mark, thanks for the offer of range time. I can't remember the lst time I went to Bozeman, but I'm in Missoula or Stevensville a lot to see family. Next time is 3-28, but will be socked with a nephew's baptism and my dad's retirement party.
Please don't take this as an insult to you or your rifles, it's just preference. I've had three Remingtons and hunted with five. I can't live with a bolt that doesn't lock. Plus, I think I'd like to stay with CRF in the future. However, your comment about not finding an accurate Ruger compact scares me even more.
Dan, I love the feel and features on the Montana, but the cheapest I can find one here is $1029, plus 6% tax, plus Talleys, puts it at least $400 more. Also, Jeff O. and a couple other guy commented on rust, which would make me lean back towards the MK2 stainless finish.
Finally, I love the Ruger rings. They are heavy but instill a lot of confidence.
I don't mean to sound dismissive of your advice, I really do appreciate it, I'm just letting you know what thoughts are
kicking around in my head. I realize I may sound as if I already decided on the Ruger, but I won't go ahead with the purchase if there are more negative comments than positive.
Mark, I've read enough of your posts to realize you are expierenced with rifles. I assume you tried all the usual suspects when attempting to get the Ruger compacts to shoot? Also, is the additional muzzle blast that bad? Maybe, down the road, just putting a very light, thin 20" barrel on a compact would be the best bet. (But then I'd me into Kimber money without the nice stock.)
If there is no hope, I'll just get the Tikka cut down and try that Corrosion X stuff the guy on another of my posts suggested so I might worry a little less about it.
I need to run! Thanks

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bigsqueeze, I just hit submit on my post and when the page refreshed I noticed you just posted. I really have to go now and can't read your, but thank you for taking the time, and I'll read it this afternood when I get a second!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course you could always stick a Gentry 3 posi safety on it and that would take care of the bolt locking issue...grin

Dober

(side note if you go Ruger and want a back up tube let me know as I recently bought a Douglas 277 fwt blank from a fella from here for my 700 turns out it's too small a dia at the shank to go 700 but it will work for a 77, I have $75 in it...)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ID .... PM Boggy Creek Ranger. He has one in .260, he may be able to offer some insight. To the best of my knowledge he likes his.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also use a rubber barrel de-resonator which helps settle the barrel down in between shots.

?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one in .243, with Nikon 3x9, set-up for youth shooters. It shoots great, accurate, nice trigger, lightweight, recoil is par with .243 full size, and not louder than any other shooter.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I also use a rubber barrel de-resonator which helps settle the barrel down in between shots.

?
........Mathman.....Using a question mark as your only reply, I assume you had a question?.....Go to "limbsaver.com" and check out the short audio/video about the barrel de-resonator.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I picked up a Compact MKII in 308 two years ago after toting a No.1 over hill and dale. I wanted something light but in a cartridge that would "reach". I like the way the Compact carries afield and like Bigsqueeze I am 6'3 and 235#. The shorter length of pull doesn't bother me. When new the Compact put 3 shots into an inch. I then had the trigger done and it was never better than a 2-3" for 3 shots. I free floated the barrel down to the receiver face and the first 3 shots was less than an inch. I haven't reloaded for it for several reasons. It shoots the cheap Federal Powershok ammo real well and I just never got around to it having other guns that I want to play with. It may be a while 'til I take it out again but if one of my daughters ever decides to try hunting, highly unlikely, I will be set!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have shot .223 remington shells out of a 16 inch barrel, its not pleasant without hearing protection and it is not good for your ears or your sons ears. A 18 or 20 inch barrel would be best. I don't expect those that shoot the 300WSM out of the Ruger Compact to agree with me but they may remember their comments 15 years from know when they are having trouble hearing. The Remington model 7 is not a bad rifle.

Last edited by jimmyp; 02/27/09. Reason: sp

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm familiar with the de-resonator, and the ideas of vibration and resonance. I suppose my question is do you think the barrel is sitting there humming like a tuning fork for an appreciable period of time after the shot is fired?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a few Ruger "pencil barrel" rifles... a variety of their rifles configurations use the same tube, but cut at 20, 18.5 and 16.5 inches.

I've had two RL MKII's, 20" 257 Rbts... lousy accuracy.

I've had one tang safety RLS, 18.5" 30-06... shot well, but with a pressure point.

I've had three M77 RSI's, two tang safeties (18.5" 250 Savage and 7x57) and one MKII (18.5" 308 Win). Only the 308 shot really well, but it was bedded from tang to muzzle... and, of course, it was a 308!

The 18.5" 30-06 was a freaking flame-thrower and was LOUD. Since I've never met a competent hunter that used hearing protection in the field, I can't fathom encouraging the use of the larger case (300 WSM) in a shorter barrel (16.5").

I used to be a carbine addict, but as I'm nearing fifty years old I value my hearing more and more. Anymore i wouldn't use a rifle with a barrel shorter than 18.5" in a mild round like the 308 Win and with a bigger cartridge like the 30-06, 21" would be my minimum.

IME, a 16.5" barrel is just too short for high intensity rounds like the 260 Rem to be used by inexperienced shooters.

A 16.5" barrel is best left to those older guys that have already lost a good portion of their hearing...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one in 308 a few years ago and it just would not shoot well for me no matter what I tried. I finally downloaded it for my Grandson to hunt with and found the thing liked lighter bullets. It's still not a tack driver but it is at least acceptable

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To summarize, so far it looks like Dober had accuracy issues and he and Dan A. would recommend a Remington. Also, Jimmy P. noticed the extra muzzle blast and also liked the Remingtons. Jimmy P., if you happen back to this thread, do you remember how the compact you used shot?
Dober, if you happen back to thiw thread, do you remember if you were able to float the barrel, or neutral bed it, do a trigger job, bed it, et cetera, in your attempts to get one to shoot?
(As an aside, if you are the guy who posted the pictures of the rifles on the fence posts with the Montana mountains in the background, those are well done.)
Bigsueeze, Boggy Creek Ranger, Mikem2, and rahtreelimbs like their compacts.
Bigsquueze, in response to you asking me if I reload, I do. You also asked if I knew the compacts were now out in the Hawkeye form, I saw one a few weeks ago at a shop and handled it. I bought a regular stainless Hawkeye two years ago. When I took it home and took it out of the stock, there was a big rub mark where the finish was gone where the metal had been touching the stock. I don't know if it was just my rifle, but after only a few trips the finish was badly scratched. I like the steel floorplate and the better trigger, (I had to have mine done anyway, $35). but much prefer the MK2 stainless finish. It seems to be the most durable finish of any I've ever known and is one of the primary draws I have for the rifle. The guy I talked to said they only had three on the MK2 stainless compacts left at his distributor, so I'm a little worried about them selling before I make up my mind.
I'll continue to follow this thread and thanks again for the responses.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm familiar with the de-resonator, and the ideas of vibration and resonance. I suppose my question is do you think the barrel is sitting there humming like a tuning fork for an appreciable period of time after the shot is fired?
..........No not really!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.