Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone else noticed the more than passing resembelace of the HIGH dollar Nosler 48 to the Howa. Look at the recoil lug, bolt handle and bolt shroud. Or am I mistaken? I can't find any writer who has mentioned it. A sub MOA Weatherby is a whole lot less, not to mention the Howa. Machining flat surfaces to disguise the possibility could be considered deceptive. The writers will tell you in every article that a Weatherby Vanguard is only a slighlty modified Howa.
Seems loke a high price to pay for a "name"
John Boy

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the Nosler rifle was built on the Howa action as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

The Howa is a good action . . . but I think you are correct.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Vanguard is in fact a Howa with a few cosmetic changes, including fluted bolt and a Weatherby style bolt shroud.

The Nosler 48 is an entirely different rifle in virtually every respect. Note the distinct shaping of the Nosler action, while the Howa/Vanguard is rounded like a Remington. Entirely different bottom metal, note the bottom plate release is on the front of the trigger guard, while the Nosler is inside.

Nosler states its push feed bolt design is "proprietary", and has a three position safety, while (unless there's been a recent change) the Vanguard/Howa is two position.

No chance that it's a Howa action.

Last edited by sir_springer; 03/02/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are similar but not the same. Here are links to the manuals to both rifles.

http://www.nosler.com/48handbook2.pdf

http://www.legacysports.com/pdfs/Howa1500%20Manual.pdf

Different extractors, different safety, different bolt stop etc.........................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The distict shaping is nothing more than either re-machining a Howa or buying an un machined Howa and modifying to suit the Nosler design. Vanguard is a two position, Howa is a three position. I believe the "proprietary" is a bunch of bull. The bottom metal is the only thing they made and they more than likely contracted that. Compare the pictures. And by the way, they both use Remington bases. Since Howa made S&W, Mossberg and other actions, shouldn't Nosler just own up to it? Or are we being asked to buy an overpriced Howa? Also Look at the Sako L61 (I think) bottom metal and action and compare it to the Howa. Howa picked a good one to copy.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Different bolt stop, true. The trigger is a Timney.
Look closely at the recoil lug. Is the angled front a mere coincidence?
John Boy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think probably half the bolt action rifles sold use Remington bases.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In any event, if you look at HS Precision, NULA, McMillan, and other such rifles, you'd swear they're all Remington actions. Indeed, Remington actions are the basis for design for all kinds of tactical and precision rifles.

Given the price of the rifle, and the competition among high end custom rifle manufacturers, I'd be surprised to learn Nosler started with a Howa action. Not knocking Howa, but if you're out to build and sell a Cadilac among rifles, I don't think that's where Nosler would start. There are better choices.

Just sayin'...

Wouldn't surprise me though if the bottom metal is made by Williams or Sunny Hill.

Last edited by sir_springer; 03/02/09.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good point. Many are similiar.
John Boy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My Howa actioned Bansner Alpine rifle bolt works perfectly in my Nosler 48. Both are 300 WSM. Draw your own conclusions.

Regards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'll be...okay, I'm surprised!

Maybe I'm underrating my ol' Vanguard.

smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
howa has come out with a 3 position safety lately...

and i see a LOT of similarities. a friend and i have agreed that we think the Nosler is made by Empire custom rifles, and that they start with a Howa.

-Matt

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Howa lightweights have the angled receiver edges. Stainless is a standard Howa

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, those definitely are the same actions.

*burp*

Excuse me! Must be some crow I just ate.

wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
guys, if it is a Howa......does that make it bad...I think not. hundreds of us buy used Remington 700 for 300.00 and true them, flute the bolt ...cera kote the whole thing and then screw on a barrel of choice put it in a high quality stock and end up with a gun that is simlar to the nosler......I guess i'm missing the point here..but how is that different. The nosler seems like a nice semi-custom ...the press I have seen is pretty good....just my 2 cents worth. I'm sur I will get hammered on this...oh well!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now I think you guys see my point.
In the "old days" Mom & Pop stores regularly contracted with firearms manufacturers to produce a particular firearm and mark it with the stores name. Im the recent past, Sears, J.C. Penny's and Montgomery Wards did the same thing. They may or may not have been cheaper or more expensive versions of the factories rifle. Some times this fact was known, at other times not.
I have no problem with a manufacturerer contracting with a supplier for parts and pieces to produce a product. But if you're going to be charged substancially more than the base product there ought to be a compelling reason.
With no special engraving, nice wood or something else to support the price....I'll shoot my Vanguards, Howas, Mausers et.al all day and have money to spare to buy more.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought Howas had the cool bolt release of a Vanguard. No?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Vanguard and Howa release are the same.
Does anyone know where I can find steel bottom metal for these two rifles? The Sako L61 looks to be a vrtual twin, but I only had a long action, no short action to compare and take measurements.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like Pacific Tool and Gauge makes the bottom metal for that Nosler (Howa apparently) action.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bottom

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.