Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Prwlr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody heard if they are planning to start closing stores? It seems that some of their stores such as the one in Colorado Springs aren't getting any new stock but some stores in Denver are. The clerks keep blaming it on the whole corporate buy out deal but that was a while ago.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
HR IC

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I heard Sportsman's was bought out by a Canadian company. They were struggling with stock because the over expanded while being undercapitalized. I think they are hoping to get the shelves stocked up again.

The gun side has been bleak even at the Midvale Utah store which is right across the street from their main warehouse. They were damn near out of ammo. Of course, who isn't these days (Yet another benfit of the Glo-Bama).

I have not heard they were planning on closing stores.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They just aren't very good at keeping stock on their shelves. Their reloading shelves here have been maybe 20 percent stocked lately.

They did close some stores last year, but I hadn't heard they were closing any more.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I asked the local store manager point blank if they were closing, since the rumor mill has been saying they were. He said he thought so a few months ago, but he said they were sold to a firm in Canada and now they were keeping the doors open. Take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited by BigBoreFan; 03/08/09.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The deal is not done yet. That's why SW is still on the bubble; they can't pay suppliers because they don't have the cash.
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/02/18/news/local/21-sportsman.txt

"She said the co-op is conducting due diligence on the Utah-based Sportsman's Warehouse, and that effort is taking longer than expected. She wouldn't say when the process to buy a majority of Sportsman's Warehouse might be completed, and no purchase price was given."

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was at the Reno SW earlier today, their shelves in the reloading dept were almost bare, only primers in stock were for shotshells. Cabellas was another story, they had plenty of powder and bullets in stock and plenty of customers buying firearms, however they were out of large rifle primers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The store near me closed down last year but I have a ton of reward certificates (from their credit card) burning a hole in my pocket. Got the card well before I knew our store was in trouble or I would have got a BPS or Cabelas instead.

There are a couple in route to the in-laws so I hope they still honor them when I finally make it down there.

Anyone know if I would be able to pay for a gun with reward points? smile

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
The one in Spokane is a joke. They are completely out of reloading supplies. they get bits and pieces in. No handguns and no handgun ammo. I used to go there at least once a month normally more than that now I can barely stand the place. Wish they'd get this thing figured out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I work at Sportsman's. I just heard the other day that the sellout to the canadian company isn't a completley signed deal yet and yes some store are closing but, I don't know which ones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to learn of SW's current instability - I thought the Canadian owned co-op was a done deal. I look forward to my twice a year trip through Columbia SC en route to Atlanta. I always plan a stop at Sportsman's there. Occasionally I get to the one in Tacoma when visiting my daughter in Seattle, hope it is still there this coming June.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yotechaser
The one in Spokane is a joke. They are completely out of reloading supplies. they get bits and pieces in. No handguns and no handgun ammo. I used to go there at least once a month normally more than that now I can barely stand the place. Wish they'd get this thing figured out.

I think they are on their way out. Many buisnesses dont have reloading supplies. I think SW has been cut off by their creditors. I talked to a manager in a store the other day in another state and theft seems to be a big problem. Abuse with their shipping system.
The store over here in CDA is worse than the one in Spokane. I did manage to get them to price match Black Sheep about 2 months ago and cleaned out of all the primers and powder I could use. Tals about JOKE!

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told my one of the local store GM's that the deal is NOT yet done, therefore, their stock levels still suck.

Like others have said, every large shop, and small independent, is virtually out of reloading components and handguns. Hell, it's almost impossible to find anything online either (unless you want to pay $150 for a brick of primers on Gunbroker).

We can all thank No-Bama and the panicked buying public for this situation.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sure hope the one in Medford Oregon isn't going to be closing.. we waited almost 7 to 8 years for the dumbass city council to allow it to be built, courtesy of the anti hunting crowd from Ashland...

I just hope that they get stabilized and have hunting and reloading supplies back on the shelves...

they still have a lot of other stuff, like the boating, fishing, clothes, camping and other depts that have plenty of stuff readily available...

I use it for more than just reloading supplies and an occasional rifle scope...

and the closest Cabelas I frequent once in a blue moon when I am up there in Olympia Wash, doesn't impress me very much...

Their 'gun library' and the prices, makes one think they cater to the Nieman Marcus clients only...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Our local SW is having its struggles. The handgun peg board now has maybe 10 handguns, with the rest of the space taken up by some long guns.

They do seem to have plenty of shotguns and rifles.

For months, the reloading department has been pretty bare. Sometimes they have primers, sometimes not. If you're not too picky, there are some bullets. They have only a few less-used types of powder on hand.

Gallenson's in Salt Lake got a big shipment of powder on Friday, and Christensen's is better stocked than either Cabela's in Lehi or SW in Riverdale.

Be not weary in well doing.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
It's a bummer but thats big business for you. I've been saying they MUST be having problems for months. When White Elephant has a better ammo selection than a huge corporation something is definately wrong. I sure hate it for all the employees there. If I worked there myself I'd be looking elsewhere right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, today at work I asked about the Canadian buy out. I was told that it never happened. The big kahuna C E O was supposed to make an anouncement at 1:00 pm today about whats going to happen. There's still a chance the deal might go through or if it doesn't some or all of the store may close. Don't take this as gospel as I'm just a lowly janitor and I'm just repeating what I was told by one of the managers at our store. I don't go back in until Saturday. Maybe I'll be able to find out more by then.

Prwlr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you still have a job, thanks.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
SW had a great store out here..I would drive 2 hours to the Victorville CA store. It was short lived, closed after 3 months. Workers told the day it closed!! No warning, no chance for locals to use their gift cards either. All stock was sent to a new store openning in two weeks in Visalia CA.

Ted
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I love SW. I sure hope it pulls through. They are missing a golden opportunity with all the gun and ammunition sales going on now.

It's all in the reflexes.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by PepeLp
I love SW. I sure hope it pulls through. They are missing a golden opportunity with all the gun and ammunition sales going on now.

You got that right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,476
Posts18,529,590
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.