Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.
� Aurora, CO
� Coon Rapids, MN
� DePere, WI
� Henderson, NV
� Lafayette, IN
� Las Cruces, NM
� Las Vegas, NV
� Legacy, TX
� Memphis, TN
� Nampa, ID
� New Berlin, WI
� Oklahoma City, OK
� Pittsburgh, PA
� Pocatello, ID
� Roanoke, VA
� Rogers, AR
� Round Rock, TX
� St. Cloud, MN
� Sioux Falls, SD
� Southaven, MS
� Visalia, CA
� Wichita, KS
� Woodbury, MN
� Bend, OR
� Bozeman, MT
� Burlington, WA
� Coeur d�Alene, ID
2) 15 taken over by Canadian Co.
� Fargo, ND
� Federal Way, WA
� Helena, MT
� Kennewick, WA
� Lacey, WA
� Missoula, MT
� Portland, OR
� Salem, OR
� Silverdale, WA
� Spokane, WA
� Vancouver, WA

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HaYen
Below is from an email I got from the Phoenix store manager.

We are consolidating and will be closing some stores but none of the 3 Arizona stores are in danger of closing. So for us it is business as usual. It will be several weeks before we start getting more product in to sell, once that happens we should be in good shape.

Thanks Again,
Bruce Gibson
Phoenix Store Manager

Just a few months ago, we got a "Sportsmans Warehouse Coming here soon " sign in Flagstaff, doesn't sound like the store will materialize. The location I've been to in Phoenix has very limited shooting stuff anymore, which seems to be tied to the timing of the election, but it could also be the timing of the credit crunch.

Even Walmart is a crap shoot, had the guy behind the counter tell me that there folks in the parking lot when they open, coming in to buy ammo if they got a shipment the day before.

they are out of the .22 bricks

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing about this on the UFA Canada site, but I like the fact that they are a co-op. Here's their Vision statement:

Vision, Mission, Values

We have a strong vision and mission statement and set of core values that are the driving force behind our organization. They describe what we want to be, where we want to go, and how we plan to get there. And by committing ourselves to representing our vision, mission and values in all that we do, we ensure success for UFA and our member-owners.

Vision
UFA is a thriving and progressive co-operative with a passion for agriculture and an affinity for rural life. We are committed to being a market-driven organization that is recognized as the leading provider of quality products, services and solutions that support agriculture and serve the rural community.

Mission Statement
We are a progressive co-operative with a mandate to create value for our owners and customers through our unwavering commitment to strong financial performance; relevance to agricultural producers; and connection to the rural community.

Core Values
Performance
Collaboration
Accountability
Respect
Integrity
Progressive thinking
Agility

Last edited by olywa; 03/10/09.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I used to buy more than 5 grand of stuff per year at SW in Fairbanks. They used to have a layaway policy that was 20% down and same day 90 day financing. I bought several rifles and mucho optics from them.

Their problem was that they price things weird and then dump things.

They wouldn't even talk to me until I bought a rifle cash(Vanguard). They soon figured out that when I wanted to look at something that they probably should.

They have great workers now. They started off with young guys who weren't very gun-savvy. They now have several guys who learned from the more experienced gun nuts.

There was a very specific change in their pricing after they dropped the layaway policy. I noticed that things didn't move anymore. Ammo sells but their rifles have stayed there a long time.

If I could tell the CEO who probably is reading this this how to win us back.
1) You bring back the layaway policy,
2)keep the powder and bullets stock up and
3)quit selling the Chinese crap we would come back.

We are largely the only group that continues to buy stuff in an economic down turn. I bet we have more hunters and fishermen this year than they have had in years.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 03/10/09.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

UFA recently purchased the WholeSale Sports chain in Western Canada as well as the above mentioned SW stores. We have suffered from chronic distribution issues and general short supply of most firearms and their related products for years.

As well the difference in exchange rates has resulted in approx a 30% increase in price. Oh well most of of the items aren't in stock anyways......

Should be interesting...........

"The United Farmers of Alberta (UFA) is an agricultural supply cooperative headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. UFA operates 35 farm and ranch supply stores in Alberta, and over 115 cardlock and bulk fuel stations ."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like the Pittsburgh PA store won't be getting many visits from me. Then again, maybe they'll knock down some prices so I'll go see what I can scrounge. Funny thing, I have yet to find a big name retailer that can match the prices or selection of reloading stuff compared to some of the gun shops in my area..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
W7ACT, if was only supply, why are the reloading shelves empty but the fishing lure and clothes and camping shelves full in ALL those stores?

The stores are hurting due to the economy and the inability to get enough credit to order new stock. People are cutting back on purchases of all kinds, and that means no cash reserves, either. Poor supply systems for some like SW don't help any.

But the shooting shelves are empty because the SOBs ahead of you bought everything they had.

Rocky,

I was in the business for years. Terminal fishing tackle and cloths are what pay the salaries and rent. Reloading and ammo were simply necessary "evils". Guns are losers!! They are just shills for selling accessories like slings, cases, cleaning kits...and the gun counters require the most employees, making them double losers.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like the Ankeny Iowa store is staying open and still belongs to SW. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kwg020
It looks like the Ankeny Iowa store is staying open and still belongs to SW. kwg

I'm glad to hear that.

The Ankeny store suffers from the same inventory problems as the others, though.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't see Thornton or Littleton on either list. Does this mean I have to travel to go to SW? Will have to go look after work this pm.

As to powder, I ran across this a few weeks ago.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

Be aware that comparable does not mean same, and some are more temperature sensitive.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mac84
I never knew they had a SW in MI.

Yup, and I loved going there. They made it about 6-8 months, and when they closed there were no deals, just moved everything out of State.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Mac84
I never knew they had a SW in MI.

Yup, and I loved going there. They made it about 6-8 months, and when they closed there were no deals, just moved everything out of State.

That was another thing that Stu Utgaard did which made no sense--close one store to open another one. He did the same thing with one of the Phoenix stores in order to open the Hendersonville, NV store, and guess what? Hendo is on the closure list, too, as is the Vegas which was just opened up.

This problem will keep on repeating and reinventing itself regardless of how much money is put into the company. How much more proof does a person need to reach a conclusion that the corporate level of this company has absolutely no idea what they are doing?

Last edited by SPH300wsm; 03/11/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like they are keeping about half of the stores... Should be a better arrangement for the warehousing system, but I think the funny part will be how much better the Canadian arm of the company will start doing. I do not get the idea those boys are fools...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
March 10, 2009

Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.

1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.

� Aurora, CO
� Coon Rapids, MN
� DePere, WI
� Henderson, NV
� Lafayette, IN
� Las Cruces, NM
� Las Vegas, NV
� Legacy, TX
� Memphis, TN
� Nampa, ID
� New Berlin, WI
� Oklahoma City, OK
� Pittsburgh, PA
� Pocatello, ID
� Roanoke, VA
� Rogers, AR
� Round Rock, TX
� St. Cloud, MN
� Sioux Falls, SD
� Southaven, MS
� Visalia, CA
� Wichita, KS
� Woodbury, MN

2. 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.

� Bend, OR
� Bozeman, MT
� Burlington, WA
� Coeur d�Alene, ID
� Fargo, ND
� Federal Way, WA
� Helena, MT
� Kennewick, WA
� Lacey, WA
� Missoula, MT
� Portland, OR
� Salem, OR
� Silverdale, WA
� Spokane, WA
� Vancouver, WA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We have a SW store in Rocklin, CA
I do not see it on your list.

Do you think, it will stay a SW ?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think the funny part will be how much better the Canadian arm of the company will start doing. I do not get the idea those boys are fools...

I agree Art, I feel sorry for the folks that will be working for the corporate Utah branch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

We have a SW store in Rocklin, CA
I do not see it on your list.

Do you think, it will stay a SW ?

The Billings, MT store isn't on the list either. I'm assuming stores not on the list will remain SW's.
You lucky guys with the original SW's......(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great, when the West Bend store closed last year it cost me 2 new Tikkas, Minox binos, scopes, cloths, reloading chit, Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter, boots, God knows what else I've forgotten.

Now the remaining two nearby going out. Geeze!

GOA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The guys at Aurora say that store is leased, the other 2 in the area are owned. Also, the cannibilism from opening 3 stores in the approximate same market diluted them all. They have things marked down, I bought #11 caps, didn't look, and found one box was half full. Almost all the bullets, balls (ML), powder, and all is gone. I haven't looked at everything there yets. They have no LH bows, and I am thinking it may be time to reacquire some archery stuff. Anyone know how the other 2 are stocked? I may have to take a long way home one of these days.

Rumor is Gander here is next.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In typical Canadian fashion, the Canooks who bought 15 of the
SW stores are NOT going to honor SW gift cards.

"Screw em" was the response from the Canooks of their southern neighbors.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 12,010 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,368
Posts18,547,110
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.