BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Winner:

[Linked Image]

8 shots, no waiting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
This thread needs a commie so I'll volunteer:I don't like Colt Pythons.They are too flossy. I have a lot of respect for them, but like the eagle-painted, orange Pontiac Firebird of the '70's, there's such a thing as trying too hard. I remember hearing the Firebird called a "one man, four wheeled carnival".Nickel Pythons are even worse. They make me want to get a white plastic Garand and join a Parade...Bring it on, fellas!
I don't think that any of those 70's Firebirds were ever actually "new".� I think that they rolled out of the factory looking like they had been abused for a number of years and also came complete with the scraggly-looking, skinny dirtbag behind the wheel (or the optional hefty female).� At least that was how it appeared around here.� (Just thought I'd take some of the heat away from JOG.)� I also agree with his thoughts on the appearance of Pythons and the barrel length of Smiths.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I disagree.

Those 1970s firebirds always came with "HOT" women in shorts and tube tops.

High maintnenace bimbos seemed like standard equipment.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BMT - I think that there must have been regional differences - could be the fact that meth got an early start in the midwest. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
I disagree.

Those 1970s firebirds always came with "HOT" women in shorts and tube tops.

Correction: The '70's would make it halter tops.

However, the "Hot Woman" clause in the Man Rules trumps any and all goofy modes of transportation. Moped = Goofy. Hot Woman on Moped = Hot Woman.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Perhaps I should have phrased the original question something like "with price being no object". I am well aware of the current market price difference between the two revolvers(about $250-$300 for the Python over the M27). What I'm interested in is which of the two six-guns shooters prefer for their personal use-whatever that might be-everything being as equal as possible.

Thanks for the responses, RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 03/13/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would take the Python. The N frame Smiths always seemed too big for the .357.

The Python is the same size as the Smith L frame, at least the same holsters fit both revolvers.

Actually, ignoring the inflated prices of the Python and that both the Smith and Colt are considered classics and "nicer" handguns, for a working .357 revolver I'd take a GP-100 over either. Seriously.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a beautiful 5-in. M27-2. I would take either a 3.5 M27 or 2.5-in. Python if I could find them. Either of those revolvers are iconic to me.

Sadly, the last Python snubby I saw at a gunshow was priced at $1,350!

What's the going rate for an M27-2 5 in., BTW?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's my Python. I carry it 50/50 with the G20 being the other favored gun
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
27, no contest.

Bill

NRA Benefactor Life Member
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I went shopping for a Python some years back, came home with a 6 inch 27. I might still get a Python some day, just because, if the right one comes along at the right price, hey, they're icons (of some kind.) I really like my Smiths.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best open sighted handgun shooter that I ever saw, used a 4" Python. Handgun professionals seem to lean toward Smiths. Fords and Chevy's? Maybe the General can help? Life is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 4" Blue Python I've had over 30 years,I also have a 4" SS Python Ultra. They are without a doubt the best shooting DA revolvers I own. I also have a 3 1/2" Model 27 with a Call Bead front sight and Nickel finish that was ordered special for me 58 years ago by my Father. While I like it very much and shall never dispose of it The Pythons definitely SHOOT better. Of course that is just my opinion.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I'd like to take a poll here at The Campfire.

Assuming same price, same condition and roughly same age, which would you prefer to own and shoot: a 3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 27 or a 4" Colt Python.

Thanks, RS
Python.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
12512-ColtPython.JPG (27.4 KB, 342 downloads)
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Model 27, by far, for lots of reasons. By comparison, and I'm talking about four Model 27s - 3 1/2", 5", 6" - and four Pythons - 4" and 6" - the Model 27s shine.

The triggers on the Smiths were better (one of the Pythons could match the M27s' pulls in single action, and in fairness, the Python can be 'smithed to a fine pull). I don't like the Colt's double action mechanism, in stacks heavier as the pull is increased and I find the Smith faster and more accurate in double action with it's consistent double action pull.

I like the Smith sights better than the Python's (except if the Python has Elliason sights, rarely encounter).

The grip shape of the Python is cumbersome in my hands, even w/ customized and shaped grips (personal preference); the same modified style grips on the Smiths fit better in my hand.

The Model 27, vintage P&R, is the Cadillac of the Smith line, finished better than any other (the narrow checkered top strap is only featured on the Model 27).

As a shooter especially, the Model 27 has no peer, and it's a relative bargain in comparison to the Python. If collector status and speculation is your passion, go for the Python.

The only .357 that remains of all of these guns is a 5" Model 27 that I bought new in 1981. The only guns that rival it to me are the Model 57s, but that's another story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys posting pics of your 2.5-in. Pythons are Killing ME.
I've got a Pristine 4-in M57 P&R with a presentation box I would swap to a snubby Python owner who is jonesing for a .41 Mag.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
The revolver gods mandate a 3.5" should be a M28 - all business.
God and S&W intended the Registered Magnum (which became the 27) to be all buisness. Collectors turned it into a tu-tu wearing queen.

I don't hate it because it's beautiful (wasn't that a commercial); my 27 is a working gun. Perfectly sighted in, stoked with stout business loads. Oh, and it's a 4" bright nickle wearing aged elephant ivory grips. Pretty, but deadly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 2.5" Python is on my "have to have" someday list.
Virgil B.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Ruger Redhawk in .357mag would be the proper choice for a Stout .357(Yes they made'em)An old friend now Departed had the 5'mdl.28 it sits on his daughters doorcheast to recieve "visitors" loaded with the Federal 125 magnums.That one would be a strong contender.Met a softspoken country boy from South Bama with a 4 inch Python that Reeves Jungkind worked on it's what he deer hunts with i kid him that the wardens would write him up for killin' deer with silk and butter if they ever felt that trigger moosh cause it ain't a "pull".

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing mentioned above is about the feel of the action. Personally, I don't like the stacking at the end of the old Colt's V-spring action. It is also a very long double action pull as compared to the short action S&W's. It was either Skeeter Skelton or Bill Jordon that once commented that a feller with a Colt double action could get shot twice by a S&W shooter before he could get a shot off because of the difference in the speed of the two actions.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 60 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.