-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear a $100 Titanium Skagen most days. But in the field I hate the sweat and dirt that accumulates under the band and most commonly carry a Timex pocket watch - more times than not the watch is in my pack.

My Timex Expedition got retired after many successful years of service but was always carried in a pack while hunting.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have worn the Timex Ironman series for the last several years. While I'm not impressed with Timex's durability, for $5 dollars you can get an extended warranty that lasts for five years, which is about 3 years longer than any Timex has lasted - at their option they'll repair or replace, so I've gotten two new watches from them for almost nothing.

Having said that, my current Ironman is wearing out, and I've been looking at the Casio Pathfinder series. Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It has been my experience (albeit limited) that probably 5% of people who have watches with compasses, altimeters, barometers, etc. actually have any reasonable use for them. They definitely have a niche for usefulness, it's just a lot smaller than REI/mountaingear/backcountry.com/etc. tells us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
It has been my experience (albeit limited) that probably 5% of people who have watches with compasses, altimeters, barometers, etc. actually have any reasonable use for them. They definitely have a niche for usefulness, it's just a lot smaller than REI/mountaingear/backcountry.com/etc. tells us.

That's definitely true. Its way more of a novelty to me then anything else. I got my suunto when they first came out. I was working in a ski shop so it was pretty cheap. Its just cool to look at your watch and see your at 10000 feet smile The only thing I "need" a watch for in the field is to know when I can start and stop shooting.

The other cool thing to do is see how fast you can loose elevation when your skiing.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
G
G
I tried the new Suunto X10 -- GPS and all! Once the novelty wore off, which was fairly quick given all of the set-up, and I confirmed that the battery life was very limited with GPS on, I found that it really did little for me.

I'll stick with separate components and rely on my old Seamaster for the time.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by kenaiking

That's definitely true. Its way more of a novelty to me then anything else. I got my suunto when they first came out. I was working in a ski shop so it was pretty cheap. Its just cool to look at your watch and see your at 10000 feet smile The only thing I "need" a watch for in the field is to know when I can start and stop shooting.

The other cool thing to do is see how fast you can loose elevation when your skiing.

Agreed. Also, the reason why I sometimes buy New York Steaks instead of just eating canned tuna cool Still, on top of check the altitude while skiing, the compass and barometer would be cool when elk hunting. And if I have to schlep a watch like that around the rest of the year, then by golly I might just do it . . .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seiko it keeps time.

220 Swift still king.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Seiko for me too. No batteries, tells day and date, waterproof to 2 atms.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The cheaper the better- never spent over $30 for one. Waterproof and shock resistant, of course- some have lasted for 6-8 years. Timex, or Casio, mostly.

I lose them before they wear out, usually-pins or bands break....

My wife wears expensive Seikos, and goes through more than I do... They quit.

I don't call her "Typhoid Cheryl' for nothing.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
A
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .

I got mine from Costco after my Nike died. I have had it about two years and really like it. I use most of the fetures, not exclusivly, but they are handy.
I really like the fact that it has a solar rechargable battery and is a waveceptor, so it keeps time from the atomic clocks in Denver.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just me, but a watch and hunting, once I get into the field just don't go together. Try to plan my hunting time so time is not an issue. Wish I could have lived some back when you went on a hunting trip to Ak and spent 30 days at it. No rush to get it done. Go at your own pace. Multiple animals on the tags, no waiting for draws. If the weather does not suit you kick back and wait until it gets better. That would be cool, but not to be.

Know to many that live their life by worrying about time and worry takes up the bigger part of it.

Last edited by battue; 03/15/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Luminox watches are the real deal. Lots of styles to choose from. I like the Field Watch or the Captain's Field Watch models because they are simple and uncomplicated. The dials are very readable in the dark, even for older eyes. Make great gifts too.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by aflineman
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .

I got mine from Costco after my Nike died. I have had it about two years and really like it. I use most of the fetures, not exclusivly, but they are handy.
I really like the fact that it has a solar rechargable battery and is a waveceptor, so it keeps time from the atomic clocks in Denver.

Thanks for the report!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lucznik
Just a Plain-Jane Timex Expedition.

+1

+2 like the two way analog/digital

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys have too much time on your hands grin

But seriously, although I have a drawer full of watches I really like the Casio G-shock. Not too worried if it get lost or messed up. Mine has altitude and compass which is nice for the novelty, solar powered so batteries are not a issue, weighs next to nothing, and above all has been reliable for the 5 or 6 years I have had it. Oh forgot to mention the alarms are nice as is the night light.

Lefty C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't wear a watch, instead I carry an extra bullet just in case..... wink grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is all you need:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3082025&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-421235-_-3082025&mr:trackingCode=C798E569-4512-DE11-80A9-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA

or this:

http://www.kenmarwatches.com/index....6&ref=FR&cm_mmc=froogle-_-JR9887

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

B
BD65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hello, again thanks for all the feedback. I think that Im going with a Luminox, I like the illuminated hands. And I just need it to tell time. Keep the feedback coming just out of curiosity.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Saskabush
Casio G-Shock

[Linked Image]
Ditto.Excellent watch for the money,you can't kill them they keep time perfectly.I had one for four years,used it at work and in the field.I got rid of it just to buy a new one.

A Man's got to know his limitations.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Anything under $30. An alarm is handy for hunting season. Illuminated dial optional.

Water "proof" and shock resistance mandatory.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.