Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
bigsqueeze

Excuse the pun, but I'm a bit "gun shy" over most new products. I prefer to see the feedback on how they work out for people in the field. And if a cartridge will be popular enough so ammo for it can be bought without much difficulty or extra cost.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you want to get the Ruger AND handload it, maybe wait a while and ask around if guys can crimp their bullets and still manage to shove them into the breech. I'm just thinking that the 416 may possibly do what the 375 does - crimp a perfectly good looking round that does not want to chamber.
That would be humbug if hunting DG.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I like my Rigby and wouldn't think of parting with it. At the same time, I'm interested in the Ruger. Just for a "what the hell". Mostly because I've aquired a liking for the bigger rifles. But I'll probably forego the 416 Riger to build a 450 of some flavor. Just not sure which it's gonna be yet. Really leaning toward a 458 Lott M77 RSM rechambered to 450 Rigby.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
bigsqueeze

Excuse the pun, but I'm a bit "gun shy" over most new products. I prefer to see the feedback on how they work out for people in the field. And if a cartridge will be popular enough so ammo for it can be bought without much difficulty or extra cost.
........Nothing wrong with being gun shy!! Per my conversations with both Hornady and Ruger, you can bet that when Ruger and Hornady get together to develop a new product, it is well tested in the lab, tested from the bench, proven in the field, and will include field use in Africa prior to any introduction. The 375 Ruger went through its paces before its intro and so did the 416 Ruger.

BTW! Along with the 416 Alaskan rifles, I also saw a few boxes of 416 Ruger factory ammo the other day while at my gun dealer. Like the 375 Ruger, the 416 Ruger is a sweet looking round.

I jumped on owning a 375 Ruger 14 months ago. I had faith that this new round would only be going one way in popularity and that everything needed for reloading would be easily available. I wasn`t disappointed. The 416 Ruger is doing and no doubt will do the same.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Personally I have never been intriqued by the 416 Rigby although I realize its a grand old cartridge..If I am going to use that big action then I want more power such as a 505 Gibbs, therefore I would opt of the smaller lighter 416 Ruger that has identical balistics as the Ruger. I realize the 416 Rigby can be handloaded beyond the 416 Ruger or Rem, but I don't know anyone that does that. The Rigby is simply the 416 Wby case sans the belt..

I think the 416 Ruger case is one of the best designed cases we have ever seen, and it gets you exactly what you want in a more compact rifle..Hard to beat this new guy on the block IMO.

All that said, my nostalgic side, and the gun I have used more than anything else in Africa is the wonderful 404 Jefferys, most of them on Mauser 98 actions. My next wildcat will be the 404 Ruger.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What kind of case life are people reporting for the 375 and 416 Ruger? I have been surprised at the longevity of cases with normal loads in my 416 Rigby.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I couldn't say for sure as I didn't get to shoot mine enough before ai sold it..but I did load and shoot one case 10 times with 3 trims in a test with a max load of RL-15 and it was still good. Based on that alone it seems like case life is good.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
"The Rigby is simply the 416 Wby case sans the belt.."

Actually, the 416 Wby is simply the 416 Rigby with the belt added, but we're splitting hairs here aren't we. LOL. Couldn't help myself Ray. Good to see you here so much and miss you over at AR.

This Rigby is capable of much more than the others, exception being the Roy. But there's really no reason to take it there. It's been doing a phenomenal job for over 100 years with 400 at 2400. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, any of the common 416's would work for me. The Ruger RSM, IMHO, is one hell of a bargain and it comes in 416 Rigby. Seems they should replace the 458 Lott in the RSM line with the 450 Rigby since they are using that big old action. Not needed for a Lott or 375 H&H for that matter.

Pick the 416 that suits you and go kill Schit. That's all you really need to know.

David

Last edited by x2mosg; 03/24/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you walk into a gun shop tomorrow it's anyone's guess what powders will be available. Nice to know the Rigby will rumble along at 2400fps or better if fed anything reasonable to burn. The way the world is going reloading shortages could continue and a workhorse will be easier to feed than a thoroughbred.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
When it gets to that point, Using my scoped rifle I will just shoot the first person I see packing a M-16,..steal or buy myself about 20,000 rounds of ammo and fly a big flag with a finger on it over my house until they drop a bomb on me! smile

I'm just too old to give up my God given rights and have some liberal waffle footed honyak with a pony tail distroy the constitution, and hell I'm not even a raical, but betcha I have some help.

At least thats the plan, but you really never know until it happens..:)

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by atkinson
When it gets to that point, Using my scoped rifle I will just shoot the first person I see packing a M-16,..steal or buy myself about 20,000 rounds of ammo and fly a big flag with a finger on it over my house until they drop a bomb on me! smile

I'm just too old to give up my God given rights and have some liberal waffle footed honyak with a pony tail distroy the constitution, and hell I'm not even a raical, but betcha I have some help.

At least thats the plan, but you really never know until it happens..:)

Amen!

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The 400gr TSX is unusable in the Ruger.

What information do you base that statement on? I can't imagine that 2400 fps isn't easily achievable in the Ruger case, and that's standard for the Rigby round.

Dennis

The latest issue of the NRA's American Hunter. It even had pictures. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seems like there should be plenty of room for another 416 if you take a look at all the cartridges around .280 that exist (270 Win, 270 WSSM, 270 Wby, 7x57mm, 284 Win, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Wby Mag, 7mm RUM) and I'm sure I missed at least 5 lol

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Has anyone seen the 416 Ruger in a store for sell yet?

You guys have to have them already...they're already in stores up here!

What you have to remember is that what the 416 Ruger does at a flat out run, the 416 Rigby does at a jog. This isn't as close an item for debate as the 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H back-and-forth. If you so desire you can flatly whip the arse off the 416 Ruger by loading the 416 Rigby to it's full potential. Whether or not you want to or need to is for you to decide. It's kinda like playing basketball with your 8 year old kid. You don't play to your potential to keep his feelings from getting hurt.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
Has anyone seen the 416 Ruger in a store for sell yet?

You guys have to have them already...they're already in stores up here!

What you have to remember is that what the 416 Ruger does at a flat out run, the 416 Rigby does at a jog. This isn't as close an item for debate as the 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H back-and-forth. If you so desire you can flatly whip the arse off the 416 Ruger by loading the 416 Rigby to it's full potential. Whether or not you want to or need to is for you to decide. It's kinda like playing basketball with your 8 year old kid. You don't play to your potential to keep his feelings from getting hurt.
................The 416 Ruger and the 416 Rigby may be joggin a little closer together than you may think! grin

From my `08 Hodgdon manual, I read a max velocity of 2470 fps for the 416 Rigby out of a 24" bbl with a 400 gr bullet.

From my Lyman Handbook (49th Edition), I read a max velocity of 2434 fps for the 416 Rigby out of a 24" bbl with a 400 gr bullet.

From the Nosler site (reloading section), I read a 2479 fps velocity. Although not listed, Nosler usually uses a 24" bbl for testing in most cases.

Average between the three is 2461 fps.

Although I have yet to read actual chrony results, the 416 Ruger from the shorter 20" barreled Alaskan according to Hornady and Ruger is between 2325 fps to 2400 fps. IF so and after an additional 4" of barrel length, the Ruger would come closer to within 50-75 fps?

A more accurate comparison between cartridges should be given to equal barrel lengths. But the Alaskan`s 20" barrel, is what it is, giving a wider edge to the Rigby.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not quite squeeze. Those "max book loads" are based on 42K psi where the original Rigbys were designed to work. The case isn't even getting started at those pressures. Weatherby just adds a belt to it and loads it to 2700 fps. You can do the same with the Rigby case. I have loaded mine to 2550 fps with no problems with a 400gr bullet. No way the Ruger can even come close. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does it need to? No. Lets discuss non issues.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Not quite squeeze. Those "max book loads" are based on 42K psi where the original Rigbys were designed to work. The case isn't even getting started at those pressures. Weatherby just adds a belt to it and loads it to 2700 fps. You can do the same with the Rigby case. I have loaded mine to 2550 fps with no problems with a 400gr bullet. No way the Ruger can even come close. jorge
.......You`re probably right!.....I`m just going by what`s published in the books as max loadings. So let`s add another 4" to the 416 Ruger`s barrel length.

Ok! Let`s say the 400 gr can be loaded up to max and give 2600 fps from the 24" Rigby. Depending on the rifle, IF the 416 Ruger can get 2400 fps max from a 20" er, then with a 24" er it should increase the velocity up to about 2480 to maybe 2500 fps depending on the individual rifle, the bore, etc.

Given the same barrel lengths and depending on the rifles, I`d say it`s possible the Ruger COULD come to within 125 fps of the Rigby, assuming 2600 fps is the most that can be achieved with a Rigby?

I`ll look for other sources to see if there are other 24" bbl`d Rigby loadings that exceed 2600 fps with the 400 grainer loaded at the higher pressures.

I like the 416 Rigby cartridge as it`s almost on par with the 416 Wby Mag. Even though some velocity is sacrificed, I prefer the shorter, lighter and handier rifles offered in the Alaskans.

Those two with 24" bbls would make for an interesting day behind a chrony.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am sold on the 375 and .416 Rugers..It is a well designed case and I have loaded and tested the 416 Ruger quite a bit..I found it worked well with all bullets including the 400 gr. BXs with which I got 2344 FPS out of my short 20 inch tube and a gob of RL-15...

I would run out and sell my good .375 H&H or my 416 Rigby or Rem just to own a Ruger but if I were looking to buy one then I would give the new Rugers a serious look, they are just what the doctor ordered in a Mauser action IMO...

If I sell my big Mauser actioned 404 Jefferys, then I will build either another .416 Ruger or perhaps a 404 Ruger. I'll hang on to my old English .375 H&H, at least for a while or until someone bribes me out of it..

I am still a gun whore and can't help selling the damn things!! Its a sickness and I keep selling my best rifles! something wrong with this picture? you bet, I always end up hunting with some piece of put together quickly crappy rifle! smile smile

Last edited by atkinson; 03/26/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had every dollar back I spent on rifles and ctgs I thought would be better than what was easy to come by, and I did not hear my minds eye tell me over and over again, "don't fix what ain't broke". I might be some what happier, but I sure as hell wouldn't have had all the fun.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.