Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The basic difference in the 416 Rigby and the 416 Ruger is simple in that you can get an easy 2700 FPS in the 416 Rigby with 400 gr. bullets, and I even know some hearty lads that get 2900 FPS..I read their chronograph and I know they been using those loads for years!!!

The 416 Ruger will get 400 gr. TSXs to 2412 FPS average of 5 shots, I just shot them in the .416 Ruger that I sold to a local client, I shot the 400 gr. Barnes X in the rifle..It has a 20 inch tube, a long magazine and throat however..the loads were max but safe. I don't know if you could do it in the Ruger..the load was certainly compacted and not something I would care to take to Africa but no more so than most 458 Win loads, but again I much prefer the 350 gr. monolithic in any 40 caliber magnum...

I have had no problem at all getting 2400 FPS plus with 400 gr. Woodleighs, 380 gr. GS Customs flat nose and HPs, 380 gr. North Fork flat nose & cup points, Noslers, and Swifts..I accuracy tested all of these bullets prior to selling the gun. Most of my testing was done with RL-15...

Last edited by atkinson; 04/10/09.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you are dealing with dangerous game - class and tradition are only words and not worth a bucket of warm spit - I'll take performance anytime.
Especially when equal performance is now availabe in a shorter, quicker package.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Plus, my experience is that 100 fps doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference with a 400-grain .416 bullet. In fact the original loading of the .416 Rigby was around 2300, not 2400 as has been repeated so many times. Despite that "handicap" it did quite well for itself. I have also shot a few animals with a 400 at 2300 from a Rigby, because that is the load that "regulates" with the fixed open sights on my CZ, and it does quite well on big animals.

So what if a 400-grain TSX can't be loaded to 2400 in the .416 Ruger? It will still work quite well. My guess is that it can be loaded to 2400, with the right powder. But so what if it can't?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Personally, since I started this thread, I'm going to buy and own and shoot and enjoy both.

My "justification" such as it is, will be that the Ruger will be scoped and the CZ 416 Rigby (or a Rigby on an Enfield action if I ever find one) will be iron sights only, set for 400gr at 2300fps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't much counter what MD & Phil have said and I don't think anybody here was "arguing" the efficacy of either cartridge to kill. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Personally, since I started this thread, I'm going to buy and own and shoot and enjoy both.

Thats the IDEAL solution to any " which gun should I buy?" problem. grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That may be the ideal, but since I already have a .416 Rigby and a .416 Remington, one with a classic walnut stock and the other a stainless-barreled synthetic rifle, I think I'll pass on the Ruger. I'm too old to be an idealist anymore!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have neither, but am old school. The heavier rifle would be an asset to me, not a liability. The lower pressure 416 Rigby appeals for reliability, and extraction. Confidence is as important as any other factor, and really debating effacacy of the two rounds is splitting hairs. Remember that the Rigby was rejected as some new wonderkinde when John and Company first chambered it.

I shoot my 338win at starting loads and in all the game it has downed, only one bullet has been recovered. I agree that 2400 ft/sec is only theoretically better than 2300 ft/sec, indeed Kevin Robertson unequivically states a sectional density nearing .300 traveling no more than 2300 ft/sec will be the most disruptive to organ tissue resulting in massive systemic shutdown and stopping effect. He defends the 2150 ft/sec of the old African cartridges as being better for penetration and thus stopping efficiency. He has shot over 600 cape buffalo, I have shot zero. I'll take his word.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That may be the ideal, but since I already have a .416 Rigby and a .416 Remington, one with a classic walnut stock and the other a stainless-barreled synthetic rifle, I think I'll pass on the Ruger. I'm too old to be an idealist anymore!

Dang! That means I will have to find someone else to buy a used one from when they get tired of it grin.

That does it...I'm going to buy another .375 African and have it rebored to .404 Ruger instead... whistle!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by medicman
. Re: Kevin Robertson unequivically states a sectional density nearing .300 traveling no more than 2300 ft/sec will be the most disruptive to organ tissue resulting in massive systemic shutdown and stopping effect. He defends the 2150 ft/sec of the old African cartridges as being better for penetration and thus stopping efficiency. He has shot over 600 cape buffalo, I have shot zero. I'll take his word.

Mule Deer PM'd me asking for references, and in so doing, I discovered I had misread the Barnes #3 manual online. It states in reference to the 9.3x62,

"In fact, my
current rifle in this caliber, a BRNO ZG 47, now has well in excess
of 600 Cape buffalo to its credit, the majority of which were taken
with solids."

At no time was it stated Mr. Robertson had shot 600 cape buffalo, only that his rifle did. I was not trying to deceive, just not reading clearly enough. My apologies, and thank you Mule Deer

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by muledeer
That does it...I'm going to buy another .375 African and have it rebored to .404 Ruger instead... whistle!

Dennis

Dennis, great minds think alike! Welcome to the 404 Ruger band of loonies - stuck in the glories of the past but fascinated by the promise of the future. cool

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes...but you've actually done it, while I but dream of it! Though the dream comes closer, as other matters are cared for and completed... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yeah, I gotta admit I have a 416 Rem., a 404 Jefferys and just sold my 416 Ruger custom that I built... I need another 40 caliber like I need a hole in my head..but I sell them off like wildfire and then when it comes time to go hunt DG in Tanzania, I usually have to make a quick big bore out of whatever parts I have on hand in the shop..come up with some pretty shabby stuff that way or sometimes I just take my old .375 English bolt gun...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.