Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2906169 03/23/09
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anyone using RCBS.LOAD v3 that would care to comment on it? Is it user friendly, effective? Likes, dislikes?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy using RCBS Load; it is my go-to software for external ballistics software. I like the drop chart with its table and target circle. If there is a bullet not included in the software you can e-mail Greg Mushial and he will make every attempt to add it to the data base quickly.
I enjoy the Cartridge Designer function very much.
I am using version 3.31C I think. The update is on the web by using the update function in tools.
The latest update ads a large group of selectable bullet shapes for cartridge designer. When a bullet is seated there are additional functions which give you case capacity by powder type � not load data but useful for load density thoughts. Another function on the same chart allows you to see the bolt thrust and radial pressure on the barrel in the chamber area.
There are a number of new functions with the latest update including color capability for cartridge drawings. We now have the ability to save the cartridge drawings to JPEG or BMP and other functions.
Cartridge designer allows you to form a wildcat quickly and estimate its case capacity and compare drawings quickly.

I use the load data section quite a bit. The load data section has load data from many older and current load books. There is a built in graph function and you can graph your chronograph data and compare the data with that from the load books.
The load data function was difficult for me to learn, I am �middle aged� and not a computer wizard by any means. Once you get the hang of the data section it is quite useful and has many features I have not yet mastered.
The latest version of Load has been made much more user friendly through feed back from the users in the field. Greg is a shooter and is interested in our ability to use the program.

There is a target data base which has a few useful targets for printing.
The Target Tool is really something special. When you have shot a group you scan it in and use the tool to measure your group size. You are able to store you targets with load data. I shoot fewer 1� and under groups now that I use Target Tool to measure my targets.
I am certain there are other features I have not thought to mention but RCBS Load is a useful product for the dedicated shooter. Here is a link to Greg�s web site and you are able to look at some of the pages fro Load here. Look at the load data on the upper right side to look at the graphs. When you are on a specific caliber there is a messy combined graph. Click on the link to see the exploded individual graphs.

http://www.gmdr.com/

Slim
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hey william, thanks for the response. Does RCBS.LOAD have import/export capability of data, or can it only accept hand-entered data? For example, exporting load data from RCBS to Excel for custom analysis ... or vice versa?

If it only has hand-entered data capability, is it a quick, easy interface?

Overall, it seems like a good value. What OS and system are you running it on? I'm running with WindowsXP Professional.

Does it allow you to record load data matched to a firearm, or just load data in general? I've visited Greg Mushial's web page before ... while some questions are readily answered, others are not, hence this thread. I emailed him with questions several months ago. Never got a response. Are the updates free? ... or is there a charge?

The only version I see at any of the online sources just say 3.0 ... and his website does not list what the latest version is other than 3.0. I see you have 3.31C.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am running Load on my PC and a small Inspiron laptop with XP.

I enter the load data manually but it is pretty quick.
I am working on a down load from the Chrony memory and I�ll let you know how that works out. I am searching for an old technical sheet on the Chrony software but cannot locate it at the moment.

You can match your load data to a firearm. It gets a little complicated to enter the basic information � rifle and other data but you only have to do this once. From then on thing work from pull downs.

The updates are free. You simply go to the tool page and click on the update.
The on-line help through the Load help icon is pretty good but Greg is a LOT smarter than I am and I often must read the pages two or three times�

Greg is one of the busiest workaholics I have ever met; he works on some very interesting projects. I will go a Month or two without hearing from him and then I�ll get several replies to my questions and general comments. He has never failed to answer a question but it does take some time when he is busy. During summer he shoots through most of his spare time and it often quite a surprise to read about some of his projects.

When you buy the Load program you register it on his web site and then download the updates.

If you are a computer guy you will probably be up and running with the load data faster than I was. I got pretty frustrated through the years � I started out on a floppy disk version of Load and a 286. I believe this latest version is quite user friendly but there are portions that require getting used to when it comes to storing data.

All other functions work quite easily. I have not seen another external ballistics generator which works as well as the one on Load.

Slim
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks. My chronograph is a CED Millennium version 1, not 2. That would probably leave me entering data by hand if .LOAD is not able to import electronically. The CED can export data to my PC.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Anyone using RCBS.LOAD v3 that would care to comment on it? Is it user friendly, effective? Likes, dislikes?

Here's where to order it on-line if your local source doesn't have it.

And here's the GMDR web page on it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Ken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lost RCBS.load when my computer crashed.

Yesterday, I unearthed the original CD and reinstalled it.

But it wouldn't let me go beyond the opening screen.

So I'll continue to be content with my old version of QuickLOAD. Danged if I'll buy RCBS.load again just to get a later version when my old version won't even work.

Since 1982, I've used well over a dozen ballistics programs. I don't even remember 'em all, or just how many have come and gone. But I still haven't out-grown my old version of QuickLOAD-QuickTARGET, which is still a lot more than I'll ever need.

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ken,

Is your old version rated to run on your current OS? Also, would you have to outright buy a new version if that is the issue, or just pay for an update? Seems to me that you shouldn't have to outright purchase the latest version since you have a legitimate copy of an older version. I could see paying an update fee if your far enough behind. I note that QL doesn't give updates away either.

I've considered QuickLoad as well. Seems to me, that either QL or .LOAD can guide one in their load development, but since neither one takes the place of a strain gauge or piezo transducer, they can only get you close. Both methods of pressure estimation have merit -- modeled prediction vs. statistical analysis. I've seen mixed reviews on .LOAD's user interface, but believe I could work it.

The value proposition I like about .LOAD is the cartridge designer capability, loads of statistical analysis and data, target analysis, along with what is reputed to be an excellent external ballistics program. Taken as a whole, that's a lot of bang for the buck ... around $100 for .LOAD vs $150 for QL, and another $150 for QickDesign to get the cartridge designer. I still haven't made up my mind and I'm not in a huge rush.

What I don't like about .LOAD is the added cost to get more data ... not that RCBS really has a way around it due to copyrights, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Another option would be RSI Shooting Lab. However, this is still another direction to go because it requires you to go with a strain gauge and directly measure pressure. The most accurate way no doubt, but far more expensive by the time a guy buys their transducers and hardware.

From my vantage point, these are the top three in this arena, and really when looking at cost, QL and .LOAD are really the two to consider.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An unmet friend called from afar to tell me that he was sending me the latest version of RCBS.LOAD. Hope it'll run on my sometimes cantankerous computer.

I'm inexpressibly grateful � and flattered � and inordinately curious.

The description of RCBS.LOAD on GMDR.com leads me to expect software that's big worlds beyond the first RCBS ballistics software (probably from different designers) that I tried. I don't remember much about those old RCBS programs, which didn't impress me much, but I'm really eager to see this new one. The descriptions of its features and powers on GMDR.com suggest that it may quickly become one of my three top favorites, to rank well above the other dozen or more ballistics programs that I've used since 1982.

I haven't found any one program that'll do all that I want. Some are accurate but not very user-friendly. (I need 'em user-coddling!) Some have many more good features than others.

So far, my favorites are friend Hartmut Br�mel's QuickLOAD-QuickTARGET and friend Ken Oehler's Ballistic Explorer � for separate reasons, of course.

The new RCBS.LOAD should be here when I get home from the hospital. As soon as I can, I'll let you know my first impressions of it. I'm sure that it's very accurate, and the description on GMDR.com assures me that it has beaucoup superb features. We'll just have to see how kind it is to � and how it takes to train � a senile, clumsy, forgetful ol' fossil.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wow Ken, that sure was a stroke of good fortune. Glad to hear it. As far as I can tell, that mind of yours is still sharp as a tack, and nowhere near fossil-hood status. I on the other hand, am notorious for setting my keys down someplace, and then having to spend half an hour trying to locate where I absentmindedly put them. My other half frequently ends up finding my "temporarily misplaced" items for me blush .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have RCBS.Load and have had it for a number of years. It has some data from older Load manuals and at one time you could buy the electronic data for a number of current load manuals.
After reading the other post I see that I have severely underutilized it� but not underappreciated it.
It is a good solid program which offers free and easy upgrades� if I lost it tomorrow I would buy it again

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Natchezss is out right now but has been selling the RCBS software:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?...nd=RC&category=24&prodID=RC99915

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Temmi, do you have the latest updates? I really enjoy the new bullet shapes and the powder volume charts.
I had a few problems with target tool until this latest update � it works fine for me now.
I use cartridge designer with the Powley Computer and I can estimate a load for an imaginary wildcat with minimum effort.
I am having fun with the colors for the cartridge cases. I have posted pictures of pink and orange cartridges to aggravate a few of my internet friends.

Slim
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am almost sure I don't have the latest updates... I will by tonight though....

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just installed the latest RCBS.Load (version 3.0) on my wonderfully rebuilt computer and took a pretty long "quick" look at it. Very impressive! I wish that I'd had it (or something like it) years ago. Maybe I'll live long enough to make good use of what it can do. I still haven't figured-out how to make it rub my feet, but it can do so much else that I reckon I can get along without that.

Looks like I'm going to have not two but three favorite "go to" ballistics programs � QuickLOAD, Ballistic Explorer, and RCBS.Load. Last time I counted 'em (years ago!), I'd used over a dozen ballistics programs before these better ones came along.

Just wish that friend Homer P could've lived long enough to see what they can do. He did enough long and tedious ballistics work � in the industry and in the military � with slide rules, big books of math tables, and plain old country pencils to really appreciate these programs.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,

I have often wondered what Homer Powley, Bob Hutton and P.O. Ackley could have accomplished with a desk-top 286�.

The cartridge designer function is a real labor saver. When you have a cartridge drawn with your individual bullet shape we are able to estimate case capacity in both grains of water and in grains of powder � with most of the commonly available powders on the chart. P.O would have had a field day. Most of us have read very little of the writing from these three and fewer are able to sort through the distortions perpetuated by the internet.
I still use my Powley computer and the RCBS Load program sure helps when I am day dreaming about wildcats.

I�ll be interested in how you like the color function for the basic cartridge cases. I generally save them in a bright color such as orange or blue. My wife likes pink for her wildcats.

The �historic� load data is great fun. The Speer Wildcat info is interesting even though I have the hard copies. One of the fun things to do is to look at the history of the 30-30 cartridge and IMR 3031, a steady reduction in load data as the year�s progress.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by william_iorg
I have often wondered what Homer Powley, Bob Hutton and P.O. Ackley could have accomplished with a desk-top 286 �

Homer got a TRS-80 right-off when Radio Shack introduced it �� added to it through the years � did a lot with it � and was still using it when he died in the late 1990s. Considering how much he'd already accomplished before it, and how much he accomplished with it, I've long wished that he'd lived long enough � and had moved-on far beyond that TRS-80 � to develop the fruits of his genius even further. The wonderful MathCAD software alone would've made Homer think that he was in Hawg Heaven.

That fervent, forlorn wish is right in there with the wish that Dr Mann's widow hadn't destroyed the manuscript for his second book.

Now, I'm wondering how I can best pass along Homer's library in the same way that he passed it along to me � gratis � to keep it from going to the dump, and to give it its best chance to edify even more shooters.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
�Now, I'm wondering how I can best pass along Homer's library in the same way that he passed it along to me � gratis � to keep it from going to the dump, and to give it its best chance to edify even more shooters.�

My Dad started out on a TRS 80 using cassette tape software. The �Trash 80� was in fact a very fine computer in its day; it even had a voice program.

The writings of Homer Powley, Robert Hutton, P.O. Ackley and a number of other pre-war and post-war writers were confined primarily to periodicals and are pretty well unobtainable to the average researcher. Many of us have no idea what they did, or why they did it. While Powley and Hutton are virtually unknown, Ackley is misunderstood and misquoted to the point his craftsmanship, originality and innovation has been lost forever. Few of us are able to recognize and appreciate the quality of his metal work and fewer still understand the importance of the controlled expansion bullet. Most of our knowledge of P.O. Ackley�s work with cartridges centers around the �Improved� cartridge case, a term which Ackley once described as: �unfortunate.�
I do not believe it is possible to convey the amount of effort expended by Powley and Hutton during a time when slide rules and manual look-up tables were �state-of-the-art� to develop their theories and explore their hobby.
We know Harvey Donaldson�s many letters, pictures, tools and data was purchased and taken by his admirers.
I wonder what happened to the correspondence and data kept by Niedner, Ned Roberts and Ed Yard. Wouldn�t it have been interesting if the correspondence and files from these interesting men could have been gathered together in one library/research center.
I wonder if any of the loading tool companies or bullet manufacturers has an interest � considering the economic times � in creating a handloading historical/research center � it need not be pretty.

It is interesting to me how misunderstood Ken Waters�s two articles on developing Pet Loads are, and he is still alive. In neither article (the first from 1962) does Waters suggested the handloader is able to estimate pressure through the use of PRE. Yet few of us understand this. I have read a fair amount of Waters writing and I have only discovered one article where he slipped and suggested he could estimate pressure using PRE.
The preservation of these interesting handloaders work is a worthwhile cause.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because the other guy was also one of my top Handloader staff writers, I was obliged to publish an article on "reading" head-expansion that Ken hotly disagreed with.

"So let me have your article on the subject."

"Oh, I can't do that now. I don't want to run ______'s article down."

"You needn't refer to it at all. Just write me an article on your method, just as if ______'s article had never been written."

So it was that we got a "Pet Loads" article that wasn't about just one selected cartridge � an article that we later republished as part of a supplement to Ken's Pet Loads book. I consider it to be one of the best that Ken's ever written.

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
william,

Based on the many posts of yours I have read, I can only imagine how extensive and fine that library of yours is. I am sure mine in no way compares ... especially as it relates to hunting and shooting. I hope you have offspring who may appreciate it someday. T'would be a shame for it to be lost.

I admit I have not even read any of the above mentioned authors ... it's one of my many round-tuits piling up.

I recently googled down some of the Powley math, but have not looked it over in earnest. I intend at some point to make an Excel sheet out of it. I am also considering getting LFD as a comparator to RCBS.LOAD (predictor vs. statistical data). From the description on the loadammo website, it looks like it would do all I need for much less than QL. I emailed the the LFD author and he anticipates the next update sometime this fall ... "hopefully."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken
I work with creative and competitive people, some of our planning sessions are interesting.
The January 1978 issue of Handloader (#71) has provided my father and me with many hours of �fussin and discussin.� The article from Bob�s column: �Pressure Points � How to Measure Head Expansion� and then the chapter from his book: �Guns, Loads and Hunting Tips� titled: �How To Detect & Control Pressure� will give the home hobbyist many things to think about. These two articles need to be balanced against Earl Naramore�s chapter on measuring case head expansion in his book: �Principles and Practices of Loading Ammunition.�
I shoot quite a few small game cartridges and of course, cannot equate the measurement of case head expansion to these low pressure cartridges. I use Ken Waters method of measuring PRE to establish stop points and in the days before I had a chronograph, PRE and the Powley Computer for Handloaders was enough to keep me out of trouble. It goes without saying Handloader magazine has given us quite a bit of enjoyment over the years and we have spent many hours discussing various articles through the years.
For two fellows interested in math Lloyd Brownells: �Firearms Pressure Factors: articles are a continuing source of enjoyment. So, if you didn�t accomplish anything else, you made us happy.

I believe the Limited Edition Classic books came out under your term with Wolfe Publishing. I spent the price of two 308 Winchesters rifles on those books. Each time I had the money set back for a new rifle I ended up buying more books. While it frustrated my father and friends, I am certainly pleased I did.

Gringo
No children for us. When I die a good library will probably be scattered to the four winds. I also have a good collection of magazines and other small booklets that will probably be thrown away by whoever goes through the files. My wife and I are having fun and I guess that�s the point.
I just looked up an article for Eric from the Beartooth Forum about reduced loads for rifles. This article by Townsend Whelen is from the March 1932 edition of the American Rifleman. It�s nice to have access to good research material.

Wayne Blackwells Loads From A Disk is a good program and will save you a lot of work developing look-up tables in your spread sheets. Snow uses Loads From A Disk and has shared a few screen prints with me so I could compare it with my estimates. I believe Loads From A Disk is a good value for the handloader.
I always begin load development with a new cartridge using IMR powders and Loads From A Disk would suit me very well.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gringo,

Waiting on a phone call so I thought I would add a thought or two.
Libraries build slowly over time. Our tastes in guns, airplanes, girls or whatever changes over time and so does our library.
Make a list of books or subjects you are interested in and develop your want list.
Formulate a reasonable idea of what these titles are selling for and pass on those which are over priced or over your budget� everything comes to the patient man.

It is important to remember to buy more specific books rather than general or coffee table books. Over time the specific books will give us more pleasure and these will be the books we read over and over.
It is better to have fewer specific books than a large number of coffee table books. Get your glossy color day dreaming pictures from the internet.

There are several discount houses offering high quality books at very reasonable prices: Edward R. Hamilton comes to mind.
Don�t overlook the truly specialized dealers such as Ray Riling books. For many titles Ray Riling is a cheap as anyone else and he has some limited circulation books in stock when the others don�t.
Callahan & Company is another good dealer but Ken specializes more in fishing books than hunting or shooting.
The Advanced Book Exchange is another good source for books but know the value before you buy. Periodicals in particular tend to be over priced.

Don�t overlook the NRA�s Firearms Classics Library. Amanda Adams and Jim Cassada have a wonderful and underappreciated book club. Many of the books are worth far more than the club price the day they are delivered.

Utilize your local library to preview the books on your want list. The interlibrary loan program will get just about every book you are interested in and you will have the chance to preview them at no cost. Librarians in general don�t like to request gun books on interlibrary loans but if you are polite the will grudgingly request your book. I have had several librarians ask why I didn�t read the books on the shelves first. I politely explained I had and that�s I now needed others. The interlibrary loan program is a great tool for us under funded researchers and very under utilized.

Your only real hope for reading Powley and Hutton is Guns & Ammo from the 1960�s and some Libraries still have them in bound sets. Sadly my local library sold off most of its periodicals and didn�t give local people the opportunity to buy them.
Ackley is also difficult to find as the great majority of his writing was for magazines and he expected us to read them all. Guys like Ackley are larger than life now but back then were just guys trying to make a living and their writing is really scattered around. Ask your Librarian for a copy of Charles Landis: �Hunting with the Twenty Two,� Ackley has a very interesting chapter in this book.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have all the Wolfe Classics and several years of the NRA Claasics although both sets include many duplicates of works that I already had. Breaks my heart to think of 'em going to the dump when I go into the crematorium.

Still haven't read many of 'em!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,

I now have three copies of many of these titles!
In the Wolfe series I am not certain which book is my favorite but certainly: �The Bullets Flight� by Dr. Mann is the most unique book.
The book I hold in my hands most often is J. R. Mattern�s �Handloading Ammunition.� I like the book very much.

In the NRA series the Keith book: �Rifles for Large Game� is certainly the most collectable and desirable.
I like the �Handloaders Manual� by Narramore and wish they would reprint the Principles and Practices book.
As far as the books I read most the two F.C. Ness books are somewhere at the top of the list.
A Rifleman Went to War and Ordinance Went Up Front are high on the list too.
Charles Landis and S.R. Truesdell are high on the list of most read books too.
I want the NRA to reprint Wildcat Cartridges by Richard Simmons. This book was not well bound and I have worn out two copies�.
There are so many little known and yet interesting writers from the past: Walter Winans and Hans Busk are two.

A local author: G.O. Ashley was quite a wildcatter, a professor at Angelo State and well liked by all of the local shooters who knew him. I have copies of some of his correspondence and shooting notes and it is a real shame all of his papers were scattered to the four winds after his death.

Last edited by william_iorg; 04/22/09.

Slim
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks for the suggestions william. I was not aware of the interlibrary loan program, nor of some of the book dealers you mentioned. I'll copy and past those into a text file for reference. Frankly, I haven't been to a local library for awhile. One never knows though. The little library where I grew up in East Texas had some surprisingly good reads in the realm of firearms and hunting.

Incidentally, LFD appears to include other powders than IMR based on the loadammo website (Ramshot, etc). Version 5 looks like it was a significant step up from previous versions and I am thinking about waiting until Wayne's next version before springing for it. He says that updates are typically discounted about half for previous users ... I felt that is a little high for an update which is why I will wait. However, his upfront charge for buying the software outright is certainly cheaper than either QL or RCBS.LOAD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,
Greg has another update up on his server. The disk need not be in your computer to receive the update. When you to tools and select update you must download all three categories and hit the icon for re-install.
The recent thread where you were asked about pressure is partially answered for any cartridge in the data base or wildcat you care to draw by simply by going to:
Tools
Cartridge Designer
Selecting a reference cartridge or drawing a wildcat you may have several cartridges up at the same time
Click on �Other� at the lower right side and select Cartridge Characteristics
This will bring up a chart on the selected cartridge which includes:
Base Surface Area
Lateral Surface Area
The 40Kpsi Lateral Receiver Force and many other interesting pressure related items.
I particularly enjoy getting muzzle pressure and expansion ratio so easily.

Other is also where you select bullet form and the capacity by powder type. This allows you to compare how much powder by type the case holds which, while not load data helps the handloader select a powder of optimum density for the case and bullet seating depth. Its interesting stuff and helps knock a hole in long winter evenings.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/3036736/page/1#Post3036736

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gringo,

I was discussing the recent thread about the wide range of usefulness of Alliant Reloder 15 with another forum member. I pointed out RCBS Load has an interesting feature. Every powder in the load data base is grouped on a page title: �Powder Use By Cartridge And Source.� Every powder type is listed with all of the cartridges for which there is load data and the load book source is given. There are 42 cartridges listed for Alliant Reloder 15. This is an interesting feature.

Slim
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.