Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hekin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In my opinion backpack hunting is about going backcountry with minimal gear. With that said it is a lot of effort to get yourself in position to get a shot off, especially when in pursuit of high country animals.

I have bet that I can use my pack as a rest when needed. I have heard others saw a bi-pod is the only way to go. They figure they worked hard to get there and that a bi-pod helps them make the shot.

I can see their point, but when counting ounces a bi-pod has never made my pack list. What do you use (or not use), and why? Your pack, sticks, bi-pod, etc??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TS&Category_Code=HPCG

One of those... But then I use one even on short hunts as well. In fact, I just like using a sling.

I'm discovering that their use is getting to be a pretty much lost art among hunters though. My Grampa was a peace time Vet (between WWII and Korea) and no grandson of his was going to be ignorant in the ways and uses of the 1903 sling.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the backcountry, over the pack is the best there is IMO. Been there done that, it works.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Pack and a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod will do for most situations. I used a pack for many years, but there were times when the angle just didn't work out well. The bi-pod only weighs 8 ounces and is rock solid. I will probably always carry it now. And if you shoot the bi-pod and pack together you can't miss.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll weigh in on the opposite side. If you are there, you've spent the money and burned the shoe leather, might as well get it in focus. I've always been a steady-handed guy, and can use 10X binocs off-hand without trouble, but if I go to the effort of carrying a spotter, I've gotta have a tripod. I personally have never seen a professional guide NOT use a spotter with a tripod, and these are no-BS types of guys that don't do things just cause they look good.
Don

IC B2

H
hekin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by docdb
I'll weigh in on the opposite side. If you are there, you've spent the money and burned the shoe leather, might as well get it in focus. I've always been a steady-handed guy, and can use 10X binocs off-hand without trouble, but if I go to the effort of carrying a spotter, I've gotta have a tripod. I personally have never seen a professional guide NOT use a spotter with a tripod, and these are no-BS types of guys that don't do things just cause they look good.
Don

I was referring to my rifle. smile I agree with you; Spotter and Tripod are a given, at least in my book.

H
hekin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RosinBag
Pack and a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod will do for most situations. I used a pack for many years, but there were times when the angle just didn't work out well. The bi-pod only weighs 8 ounces and is rock solid. I will probably always carry it now. And if you shoot the bi-pod and pack together you can't miss.

What size Stoney Point do you use? Do you have any better links or pictures of it than what I found? A quick Google shows me 3 sizes, of the the three the kneeling one looks to be the most useful for backpacking. ???
http://www.opticsplanet.net/stoney-point-polecat-rapid-pivot-bipod.html

How does it clamp to the stock?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stoney point monopod, it doubles as a walking stick so why not?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hekin237

I was referring to my rifle. smile

Don had a long day at the hospital laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Stoney point monopod, it doubles as a walking stick so why not?

Because the Stoney point stuff is a POS. The joints won't hold and for sure will slip if they get wet. If you put any weight on it, it will fail. Almost killed myself with one on a goat hunt a while ago. As far as shooting off a pack it works about as good as anything you could carry. Actually some LW rifles will not shoot worth a darn off a bipod. At least that's my experience.

Lefty C

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually shoot over sticks. Use my pack though in a pinch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For forty years I've relied on a walking staff and just upgraded same. I tried bipods but our pucker brush is too tall and I didn't like all that equipment hanging on my rifle.

The collapsible shooting staffs do just that...collapse when you need em. I like the staff one piece and solid. I recently bought a set of those very long cros country ski poles and added fishing rod hypalon grips at right height for me.....I simply grip the shaft and extend my thumb for a rest for standing shots....prone, I use my pack.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have the prone and the sitting one. They attach to the rifle at the sling stud. The have a little piece that attaches to the stud and is sill useable. The bi-pods just push on and pull off. Simple, efficient and rock solid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry my trecking poles and they work great as a bipod when sitting for shots out to 300. Just loop the straps over the opposite pole and use your lockin devices to adjust height. No point humping a bipod on your rifle. Beyond that go prone off your ruck.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use some collapsible sticks, and my pack.
Depends on the shot, amount of time, and angle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
prefer my pack to shoot off of as that's the way I practice and it's always handy. One of the very big reasons why it's hard to forgo my external Barney's frame pack. the other is hauling stupid heavy loads.

but I use a trekking pole in a pinch, I like a light nylon sling on my rifle even though I use a gun bearer. drop to kneeling, grab the pole with my offhand and the sling and it's pretty dang steady.

though that means I didn't have time to take my pack off, so I might just shoot offhand, either way I dislike shooting with my pack on me.

but I can unazz my pack sling rifle across it and be on target PDQ, it ain't a motion I'm unfamiliar with.

and to me that's the key, familiarity, if you're used to using a bipod then I could see why you would want one with you, though my experience with them mirrors Verns.

the only wrong way is the way that leaves you feeling uncomfortable, it just has to work for you and your needs.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What Vern and 1ak said.

For myself, I am almost never without a forked (padded) walking stick to my height, which I can use as a monopod if i have to. In most situations, however, I can find a firmer, more solid rest or positions, including using my pack, or a hat/hand placed across a rock, etc.

Whatever you plan- you'll probably use something else. A bipod, in my experience, just isn't worth carrying around.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I completely got the post wrong. Should have known better! In my defense, a stomach-bug has left me vanquished; signs of life are returning, though.
Don

Last edited by docdb; 03/24/09.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dan Adair, I use the same sling, for the same reasons. It works, and I enjoy shooting with a sling for stability. You're right, using a sling is a dying art anymore. Shame really, a good sling is a very worthwhile tool.

Sometimes I also use a sling by Mike Miller at Tactical Intervention:

http://www.tacticalintervention.com/

His slings are very tough nylon jobs that do the same thing as the good old Turner, and more, but weigh less.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My pack is my main shooting aid/rest when backpacking. In addition, since I started using trekking poles (at least on my approach hikes) a few years ago, I keep trying positions with one or both of them and sooner or later will shoot something off the poles.

I had to smile at the comment that a bipod only weighs eight ounces. A comment of equal weight after packing it steep up for days is, "Dang! That thing weighs half a pound!" Bipods always seemed cumbersome to me, but our mileage do vary, to paraphrase Stick. Flat, sideways, scrunched, on end, on top of a bush, in the fork of a tree, padding a rock: a pack has a lot of varying options for height etc. and is quick to deploy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.