Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lee24
The airlines just got through buying SIG .357s and .40 S&Ws for their pilots.Now Obama wants to disarm them again, so maybe there will be a bunch of those on the market.

It was too simple to put Lee on ignore but I can't do it and let him get away with more of his misinformation. So, in the public interest of not letting Lee get away with more talking out his ass...

The Federal Flight Deck Officer (FDDO) program is run by TSA with training under the oversight of the Federal Air Marshall program. The "airlines" do not buy weapons nor administer the program.

Here is a reference to the program documenting this to be true
http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/ffdo_information.shtm

Here is the solicitation from the TSA for purchasing the weapons.
FFDO contract solicitation

Here's a reference that notes that the weapons awarded were the H&K USP.40. They have not changed from that weapon, nor are there any plans to according to the two FFDO qualified aircrew I know.

http://www.capapilots.org/pdf/pilot_pistol_offer.pdf

Nothing to see here, just Lee talking out his ass again.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another point which may have already been made but...I think LEO's practice a lot more than they did in the old days. Practice and cleaning wears guns out.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pugs,
I happen to know several pilots. USAir recently bought .40 S&W SIGs for their pilots. That's a fact. I know it directly. You, on the other hand, went on a quick Google search to try to rebut me, and you stepped into the hole you dug.

If you are trying to say that the Air Marshals do not use the .357 Sig, read this:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060613-123248-2105r.htm

Air marshals: Bullets pack too much punch

By Audrey Hudson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 13, 2006

Federal air marshals say their guns are loaded with bullets capable of running through more than one person, metal doors and thick glass -- too much firepower for an airplane.
"Not only is the person getting shot in danger, but everyone on the plane is because of the distance it travels," said one air marshal who testified in a recently completed House Judiciary Committee investigation of policies marshals deemed dangerous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee,

Please read carefully. I did not say that federal air marshals carry the H&K. I said the FFDO pilots carry H&K and I have it from two friends, one United and one SouthWest in the program on it as well as the reference. The air marshal program does the training for the FFDO program. TSA runs it.

I found the three references so that there were actual references to endure I was correct and not recalling incorrectly.

You remain incorrect.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I fly over 100,000 miles a year, know a few pilots, shoot with pilots and TSA personnel, because I have TSA and TWIC clearances myself. You only "know" what you read on from Google. If you read some more, you will find that
A. Air Marshals carry handguns chambered in .357 SIG.
B. Some airlines, like USAir, do provide their pilots with the SIG and HK handguns chambered in .40 S&W.

Everyone who has an ID permitting them to carry a weapon onto the airplane is pulled aside and asked if they are armed. If the answer is yes, they are all acquainted with each other, so avoid mistakes. Again, this is from my personal experience.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fatjack34
9mm is fine! Use the improved ammo that was not there in the 86 shootout, do your part, and it will all work out. 15+1 and you cannot get it done? PLEASE!

Please expand on this. Does the Ammo today penetrate better than the 115 grain +P Silver Tips that the agents were issued in the 86 shoot out? Agent Dove and Agent Grogan empted 2 magzines each (29 rounds each?) from the M-59 S&W auto loaders and were both killed. Expanding bullets in 86 as well as today give up penetration for expansion.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gee, more true stories of police being shot even after putting lots of 9mm bullets into bad guys. I should have waited to post my similar experiences, so as to not be flamed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another example of pathological liar behavior. When challenged, change the subject.

The subject Lee is the FFDO program, not the air marshall program. The air marshals may carry something different than the FFDO's. That is not the topic. Let's review shall we?

(1) You said the airlines issue the sidearms to FFDO's. That is not true. They are issued by TSA

(2) You said the airlines were buying new sidearms. See #1, the FFDO at this time remains the H&K USP. I have this as personal knowledge from two friends who are in the program and as a reference from the search I did as a fact check. You can do the same search. You will find the same thing.

I also fly many miles a year domestic and international. I will not get in a clearance battle with you. I assure you I would win and no, I'm not going to put my tickets out there as you know that is not something you are supposed to do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having conversed (written) with Pugs and knowing some mutual things/places and probably people - his tickets are good wink

Me

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pugs, I stated what the pilots and Air Marshals carry, and that some airlines provide the handguns to their pilots. I was correct.

Now, you try to weasel out by saying, "The subject is the FFDO program...", in an effort to change the subject. Democrats call that "nuancing" when they do it.

Pugs, if you have TSA and TWIC clearances and an ID which lets you carry a weapon onto an airplane, why don't you know the basic facts of how things work? What do you do for a living?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you do for a living?

Seems to me that a man should know something like that BEFORE he starts saying what said man does or doesn't know or have experience with....

Me

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can tell from here that he doesn't have direct experience with what Air Marshals and pilots carry for defense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pugs, I stated what the pilots and Air Marshals carry, and that some airlines provide the handguns to their pilots. I was correct.

Now, you try to weasel out by saying, "The subject is the FFDO program...", in an effort to change the subject. Democrats call that "nuancing" when they do it.

Pugs, if you have TSA and TWIC clearances and an ID which lets you carry a weapon onto an airplane, why don't you know the basic facts of how things work? What do you do for a living?

You need to reread your statement to maker sure you remember what you wrote.

The airlines just got through buying SIG .357s and .40 S&Ws for their pilots.Now Obama wants to disarm them again, so maybe there will be a bunch of those on the market.

The airlines DO NOT buy guns for their pilots. I have provided two references to the governing federal body that regulates any and all firearms carried by commercial airline pilots. The TSA provides all weapons for the Federal Flight Deck Officer program. So, in fact I am the only one of either of us staying on topic here. This is not about air marshals, this is about airline pilots (part 135 operations should you wish to be specific)

I do not have a clearance that authorizes me to carry a weapon on an aircraft no have I ever said I did. I do have other clearances and access that you do not need to know that has me work with several facets of the IC and DoD. If you care to research it here I've put all I'm going to put out in public on this board about my employer and work program.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You obviously don't know what circles he came from or where he is now then...

Me

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do you remember last March 2008, when a US Airways pilot accidentally discharged his HK USP 40 in the cockpit while in flight?

Here is what US Airways said about their program to screen and train pilots before issuing them the HK USP 40:

"The gunshot marked the first time a pilot's weapon has been fired on a plane since the flight deck officer program was created following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Alter said. The Transportation Security Administration is investigating how the gun discharged, and Gee says the unidentified pilot has been taken off duty during the probe.

Pilots in the program undergo 50 hours of training at the federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, N.M. Alter said it appears the pilot of the US Airways flight wasn't following "proper procedures. ... We just don't know exactly what procedure wasn't being followed."

Since April 2003, about 5,000 flight deck officers � captains or first officers � have gone through the training program and received permission to carry weapons in the cockpit, said Capt. Bob Hesselbein, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's National Security Committee. The union represents more than 61,000 pilots at 43 airlines.

Gee declined to say how many US Airways pilots have graduated from the program and carry guns while on duty, citing security concerns.

But they all carry the same gun, the high-priced and high-quality H&K USP, which Alter said was specially selected for the program. Gun safety expert Ronald Scott, a ballistics expert who served for 25 years with the Massachusetts State Police, said the gun wouldn't discharge accidentally if dropped or jarred in some way.

"It's a top-of-the-line model," Scott said. "They're accurate and highly reliable. This is not something that you would just walk into a gun store and buy. And it's also not something that goes off by itself. ... Someone would have to squeeze the trigger."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you remember last March 2008, when a US Airways pilot accidentally discharged his HK USP 40 in the cockpit while in flight?

Here is what US Airways said about their program to screen and train pilots before issuing them the HK USP 40:

"The gunshot marked the first time a pilot's weapon has been fired on a plane since the flight deck officer program was created following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Alter said. The Transportation Security Administration is investigating how the gun discharged, and Gee says the unidentified pilot has been taken off duty during the probe.

Pilots in the program undergo 50 hours of training at the federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, N.M. Alter said it appears the pilot of the US Airways flight wasn't following "proper procedures. ... We just don't know exactly what procedure wasn't being followed."

Since April 2003, about 5,000 flight deck officers � captains or first officers � have gone through the training program and received permission to carry weapons in the cockpit, said Capt. Bob Hesselbein, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's National Security Committee. The union represents more than 61,000 pilots at 43 airlines.

Gee declined to say how many US Airways pilots have graduated from the program and carry guns while on duty, citing security concerns.

But they all carry the same gun, the high-priced and high-quality H&K USP, which Alter said was specially selected for the program. Gun safety expert Ronald Scott, a ballistics expert who served for 25 years with the Massachusetts State Police, said the gun wouldn't discharge accidentally if dropped or jarred in some way.

"It's a top-of-the-line model," Scott said. "They're accurate and highly reliable. This is not something that you would just walk into a gun store and buy. And it's also not something that goes off by itself. ... Someone would have to squeeze the trigger."

Absolutely no mention of US Air buying and providing said weapon to their pilots. YOU assert that the airline issues them but the article does not - simply states they all carry the same.

When I played football - we all had the same exact Nike cleats - school didn't issue them. When something is recommended or requested - you tend to get what's asked of you.

Me

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"But they all carry the same gun, the high-priced and high-quality H&K USP, which Alter said was specially selected for the program."

Selected by US Airways for their program to arm their pilots.

5,000 pilots didn't just all buy the exact same make and model HK USP 40 by coincidence. Ask a US Airways pilot, if you ever get the opportunity. If they don't know you well, they won't talk to you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs,
I happen to know several pilots. USAir recently bought .40 S&W SIGs for their pilots. That's a fact. I know it directly.

According to the TSA, the Federal Air Marshal programs issues the weapons, not the airline - THEY issue the weapons to pilots. Find it hard to believe that the airlines would spend the money on buying weapons on their own dime when the Feds will do it at no cost to the airline.

Originally Posted by TSfreakingA

Law Enforcement

* FFDOs are considered Federal law enforcement officers only for the limited purposes of carrying firearms and using force, including lethal force, to defend the flight deck of an aircraft from air piracy or criminal violence.
* FFDOs are not granted or authorized to exercise other law enforcement powers such as the power to make arrests, or seek or execute warrants for arrest, or seizure of evidence, or to otherwise act as Federal law enforcement outside the jurisdiction of aircraft flight decks.
* FFDOs are issued credentials and badges to appropriately identify themselves to law enforcement and security personnel, as required in the furtherance of their mission.
* FFDOs are issued firearms and other necessary equipment by the Federal Air Marshal Service.
* FFDOs are responsible for the readiness and daily security of their firearms, credentials and equipment.
* FFDOs are authorized to transport secured firearms in any state for a flight on which they are flying to or from as approved by the Federal Air Marshal Service as necessary for their participation and activities in the program.

Source

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"But they all carry the same gun, the high-priced and high-quality H&K USP, which Alter said was specially selected for the program."

Selected by US Airways for their program to arm their pilots.

Says you - not the article. In fact it appears that the Federal Air Marshal program decides on that, NOT Us Airways...

Last edited by teal; 03/27/09.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You do realize Alter works for the Federal Air Marshal Service and NOT US Air - right? You know the ones that issue the pistols to the FFDOs? That would be the guy commenting on how they were specifically selected - by them, the Air Marshals, not US Air.

Me

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.