Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 173 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 172 173
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan,

Your Rifle "knowledge" correlates with your Logging "knowledge" and none of them things is in YOUR favor.(hint) Montanan Flatlanding Do-nuthin's are the worst source of Day Dreamin'.

So feast your eyes,while you shut your mouth('nother hint)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/BigTreeSpruce1.jpg[/img]

As an aside,there's assuredly no such thing as a log in Montana,let alone a "Log Yard"...though I welcome the attempt at the ass kickin'.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/SCAREMyself.jpg[/img]

I think you can take me!

Laffin'.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shot anything with hair on it latlely (hell with lately anything in the last couple of years?)

maybe best to start a new thread, leave this one open to those that want to pole vault over mouse turds.

my hunting has sucked of late, but am fixing to change that this year, gonna sheep hunt and take a pard from CO moose hunting

so I gotta live thru others exploits.....till hunting season

some of yours will do, if you're of a mind to entertain us with em

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always do good.

Thinking a 308 outshines the 7-08,is akin to drinking bilge water,as opposed to bottled.

Funny how them that shoot the least,yack the most.(grin)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan,

In fairness,I don't drink with just anyone,so I gotta toss you aside like ALL the other Flatlanding wannabe's.

[Linked Image]

Though given your local,I reckon you are used to same.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TryMe
Funny how them that shoot the least,yack the most.(grin)

Well said, after 30 or so posts in one evening...

Yeah Brad, I used an RSI pressure trace on the rifles. I don't have it anymore, but it was interesting while I did.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, wheres pic of da savage em-em? It do rilly go farrer? grin

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Stick,
Concerning the laws of physics, I'll grant you the ballistic advantages of the 7-08, but re: semantics I'll go with "slight edge" to "blowing it out of the water."

That being said, I've never hunted critters that could read ballistics tables, so all the ones I've whacked with the .308 have ignorantly died on me.

M
M
Yum! Yum! Dat lil ol chainsaw'n boy is at it again! When your femur is as long as the average man's humerus, you can build quads like that. I bet big momma, sister, and waterhead hate to share the spotlight and/or dinner table with that narcissistic personality disorder. Tough one to feed I bet.

SMARTER THAN THE AVERAGE BEAR!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gman,

I'm all ears in regards to you more than hinting that you do all of your shooting in the dark. Would love for you to illuminate those details and yes...the pun is intended.

To satiate your fickle emotions,it might cheer you up that this morning's FF session was fruitful and new K-Hornets and 223AI hulls abound. Even more,you'll be delighted that my seemingly perpetual Skunk for Winter Steelhead was a bust again this morning and again I'm all ears on how to properly break-in a 1141S GLX,because the weather isn't allowing me to do it on fish. Thoughts?

Purty though,ain't it and pink would be my default favorite.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good call on refraining comment in either the 308 or 7-08 camp.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
John,

In fairness,if/when another chambering drops less,drifts less,arrives with more remaining velocity,more remaining energy and does so in conjunction with less mechanical recoil("felt" recoil being subjective),one can muse with uncanny accuracy that the other has been blown away.

Admittedly,I've never killed anything with a 308Win that crawled back out of the freezer either. But a slew of inherent advantages working in conjunction,is not a concession and the 7-08 has that sewn up tidily.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A routinely missed constant,is that 7-08's are throated with far more viability in conjunction to their magboxes,than are 308's.

Yet another inherent attribute,that bear's fruit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
'bear,

My apologies for horning you up and making you swoon. If it works that well for you,feel free to print it...I'm accustomed to such fanfare.

Your refrain to mention the chamberings in particular from your firsthand accountings,was also wellfounded.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In fairness,this is prolly my favorite Savage em-em pic,despite the obvious bias.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Laffing. I knew you loved them. Kinda threw me, with the other posts. I'm slow, but finally caught on to the taped-eye dialect. Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty much the Joe Palooka of ballistics and can't argue intelligently on the subject. I do like to take a stab at it once in a while. As a hand-loader, I like the quality and generous amount of components available for the .308 Winchester and when I'm being lazy, good factory loadings are aplenty. I won't dispute the attributes of the 7mm-08 that give it the nod over the .308 by some, but the variables in my hunting/shooting world just don't shed light on said attributes. The .308 simply reigns supreme by default and that's okay in Palookaville! Can't find a good enough reason to start over.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If a fella was serious about shooting past say 500 or 600 yards I could see an arguement. But then at the same time there's a Marine up the road that shoots pretty damn good way out there with a 308 and an '06.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's an apt adage,that goes a little something like this: "whatcha don't know,won't hurtcha".

The beauty of the 7-08,is that it is blessed with an amazing myriad of componetry from which to pick/choose and even goes so far as to make use of 308Win brass. Logistics are not even the faintest of a concern,as even powder/primers interchange.(grin) For them inclined,one can even opt a Redding FL bushing sizer(less the decapping stem) and go wayyyyy Mexican Match ala 7-08.

To further frost the cake,much of that componetry(the boolit proper),simply houses inherent advantages over it's 30cal cousin. Simply put,it is the bullet where the rubber meets the road and it is far more important than the headstamp and second only to placement in regards to the terminal affects equation.

In fairness,I'm not immune to the practice of MilSurp Ball Burping ala various 308Win platforms. Some stuff will crowd MOA at the 500yd line and track an M3 cam suprisingly,which can be pressed into good practice.

But when talking absolutes,the 308Win is simply second fiddle. Having a good sized stash of absolutes in one's hip pocket,will not compromise downrange results.

There's an interesting correlation that takes place,when one guns an inherently sound platform,that is actually fun to shoot...the relative "luck" factors rises in non-lineal fashion and that's what it's all about.

One makes his own "luck",though most take great strides to overlook that absolute.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rest assured that 7-08 terminal affects do not diminish,as the muzzle gets closer to the victim.(grin) The 280 does the same thing to the '06,again because it is the bullet that matters.

You'll note that trend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never owned anything 'metric'....(grin)

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
I'm pretty much the Joe Palooka of ballistics and can't argue intelligently on the subject. I do like to take a stab at it once in a while. As a hand-loader, I like the quality and generous amount of components available for the .308 Winchester and when I'm being lazy, good factory loadings are aplenty. I won't dispute the attributes of the 7mm-08 that give it the nod over the .308 by some, but the variables in my hunting/shooting world just don't shed light on said attributes. The .308 simply reigns supreme by default and that's okay in Palookaville! Can't find a good enough reason to start over.
I can always count on some straight talk and good ol "horse sense" from this guy.........Well said.....547.

Page 8 of 173 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.