Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2920294 03/28/09
D
DennisB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I�m just getting setup for loading 7x57. For anyone with experience with 7x57 Norma brass, is it worth the extra cost (over twice Remington price) or is there a better choice?

Thanks,

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've loaded 7x57 over the years with Norma, Remington, Winchester and Federal brass, at least. May be something else in there that I can't remember at the moment. Norma brass is just fine, but I don't think it's any better than any other brass -- for assembling hunting loads, at least.

I personally won't spend the money for Norma or Lapua brass for a cartridge unless that's the only source -- which it is for some cartridges I load for, like 9.3x57 and .404 Jeffery.

FWIW...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a big fan of Norma brass. It is soft and stretches badly in my experience. I use Remington brass only for my 7X57 AI and have never had a problem with it. I found it thicker than Norma brass, so use starting loads!

I used a lot of Norma brass for my drillings over the years, and my Weatherby brass is all Norma, so I have had plenty of experience with it.

Enjoy the satisfaction of crafting your ammo. wink cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Same here, I prefer Winchester brass for my 7X57...... now if I could just find some!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7x57 brass is getting very hard to find in Australia too. We can buy cheap Highland loaded cartridges but I haven't heard too many good things about their brass. I made up 50 cases by necking up .257 Roberts cases. They are a little short in the neck but work fine in my mates rifle. Problem solved.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't load for the 7x57 but have used a lot of 7x57 brass over the years to load 6mm Rem, 257R & 257RAI. I've used Winchester brass almost exclusively with some Rem thrown in. I prefer Winchester because on average it has more capacity. As to durability, the Win brass has rarely failed despite many reloading cycles.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Huntr
...... now if I could just find some!

I think that's the more pressing issue today, more so than what brand to buy. 7x57 ain't readily available in any make.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use Winchester..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive used them all over the years as well, don't see much appreciable difference....If I had to pick, I'd be in with the Winchester crowd...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that Winchester has stopped making 7x57 brass. I tried to get some from Black Hills Shooters Supply, and that is what I was told.

I've been using Winchester brass for years, and I just loaded my last 100 rounds of virgin brass.

If anyone knows where I can get some more Winchester 7x57, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
AARRGGHH! Tell me its not true! shocked
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Winchester usually does seasonal runs of 7X57 brass. If Winchester were to discontinue 7X57 brass, they would have to accept responsibility for speeding global warming......grin

Hopefully there will be some showing up soon!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Huntr
Winchester usually does seasonal runs of 7X57 brass. If Winchester were to discontinue 7X57 brass, they would have to accept responsibility for speeding global warming......grin

Hopefully there will be some showing up soon!

I too, use Winchester although Remington also has worked for me in the past. Either to me are better than Norma and usually cheaper besides.

Midway still shows it as a seasonal run so it should be available sometime in the future. It never seems to last long so I can't imagine Winchester will drop it completely.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Even if dropped at some point by Winchester - which I doubt given the global demand for this 7x57 ammo - the whole family of cartridges based on the 8x57 (6mm rem, 257R, 8x57) are easily interconvertible. Even though the headstamp won't be 'correct' they'll work fine. As a last resort, converting the 30-06, though laborious, will keep us in the 7x57 game. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I used to be one of those who insisted on Winchester 7x57 brass because it was lighter and therefore had more case capacity. This is because I read about it in some magazine somewhere, and thought it might make a difference.

Then I figured out the 1-to-4 rule and after some measuring figured out that Winchester brass held (MAYBE!) 2% more powder than other brands. This translates to a .005 difference in possible muzzle velocity at the same pressure, or 14 fps with a typical 140-grain load of around 2800 fps.

Since then I quit worrying and use whatever 7x57 brass I can find. I got a good deal on Norma a while back and use it a lot, and have also had good luck with Remington (just picked up another 100 rounds of new Remington at a local store last week). Either one works just fine with the same loads and I don't lose sleep about that extra 14 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DennisB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks everyone for the info and comments. Looks like I�ll be buying 100 rounds of Winchester ammo. That way I can do some shooting, get used to a new rifle and make brass at the same time. grin

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
All good things!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Winchester Norma a few RWS over the years, and about 15 years ago I bought 500 nickle cases from Remington. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. I have 2000 cases from Winchester in 6.5 x 55, those will keep me in hunting loads till I either shoot out the barrels, hunting is banned, or I wake up one morning and find I have taken a dirt nap, and the sheep mountain I am on at this moment looking at a 40+ Shone Sheep is not Northern BC, but a place hunters go to there reward, and 270 Jack being next to me, is the give away. Joking aside, life is to short to split hairs over this issue.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
JB, agree with you. But it's not a disadvantage to have the greater capacity - admittedly inconsequential - without losing case durability. If you'll remember, the same magazine articles that touted Winchester cases' greater capacity also imputed greater longevity to the "thicker" Rem cases. This last observation hasn't held up in my experience with a variety of cartridge cases that are manufactured by both Win & Rem. Different manufacturing methods seem to result in slightly different case properties - neither good nor bad necessarily - that sometimes may mean slight mods in reloading techniques. Just my .02. smile

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heck, I will be happy to find Rem., Norma or Winchester right now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.