Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Meledeer, et al:

Well not sure if people want me to be wrong so they can say "I told you so", but that will have to wait. The "Real" Whitworth expert I spoke to was correct. No more guessing, it is a Whitworth and now who wants to add their two cents?

[Linked Image]

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You still didn't answer my question. I'm not sure if I'm a "real" expert or not, but I do have one of those rifles in my safe, which my wife bought 15 years ago and has killed a truckload or two of game with. And I've had several other variations of Whitworth, Interarms, et al rifles. So I actually do know a bit about them.

Do you still believe that this rifle was manufactured in England? By that I mean the action was forged and milled, the barrel was drilled and rifled, and the stock was sawn, shaped and inlet, then the entire rifle was assembled and finished in England?

That is my question, which you have yet to answer. I am not arguing that it says "Whitworth" on it -- that is not the point of my question. My question is -- was it manufactured in England?

Not really trying to bust your chops here -- I just asked you a fairly simple question that should be no particular problem to answer.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ive never seen a whitworth with a thumb slot. most whitworths are marked "WHITWORTH" on top of reciever ring under the front scope base, is this one?

R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I was not there so I cannot say with absolute authority that it was "manufactured" there. With all of the information clearly engraved on the barrel along with British Proof Marks it would seem "possible" if not obvious. It was brought here from England by a gentleman that lived in England. I cannot assure you that he bought it in Ireland, Spain, or Australia. He passed away years ago and that is why he wanted me to have this along with some other of his treasures (firearms and WWII binoculars).

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with your sale!

Maybe the collector who you showed pictures to at the Tulsa gun show will make you an offer for it.

FWIW, your pictures don't show enough detail of the manufacturer's markings for me think that it is anything more than a Spanish or Yugoslavian action that has been assembled in England. The British proof marks suggest to me that it was intended for sale in the UK or Commonwealth markets, but that is only a guess. I have found that it is a good idea when buying used firearms to "buy the gun, not the story" and pay accordingly.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ill take a guess here and say its a military mauser thats been sporterized by whitworth.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The stepped barrel made me think sporterized as well. I believe Cafsman has a Whitworth rifle. I have one with the same kind of name stamping on the barrel. Whitworth never made their own components any more than Purdey or Holland or Rigby. Many manufacturers buy components and put them together then stamp their own names on them. JC Higgins and Sears stamped FN's.

I think we really need to get to basics. Is this rifle worth the asking price? Yes. For someone it is. Maybe not collector price but maybe so. A collector may not know any more than the guy on the other side of the table but is willing to pay the price for something he doesn't have in the collection.
If I weren't tapped out right now that rifle would be mine.
Frank

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's a nicely done 98 Mauser in 7x57, and those don't come along every day.

I think it has a commercial barrel, since the steps on the barrel are much like those on a Winchester Featherweight. Military Mauser steps are evenly spaced about six inches apart all along the length of the barrel.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.