-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of a modern factory rifle I think 1" @ 50 yds is good. That being said, .22 rimfires are very ammo dependent, so you may have to try a number of different brands to acheive that goal. Once you have found a good ammo for your rifle, stick with it.

Of course some factory rifles may do better than this, if so also stick with it!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nathan .... nice rifle ... Whilst a nice match, IMHO, loose the socpe! smile

BTW ... I'd say that's more than acceptable with bulk ammo!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL
Having been a centerfire guy all my life I don't much on .22's and rimfires.

What is good or acceptable accuracy in a .22 rifle that is not a target rifle. IE a hunting/plinking firearm.

I went out today and shot about 6 different loads at 50 yards to see what grouped the best. What should I be looking for?

Nathan, I have a scoped Marlin model 60 that does 3/4" five-shot groups at 50yds with at least one brand of bulk ammo. I call that good for that grade of rifle.

My CZ452, also scoped, does 3/8" 5-shot groups at 50yds - with at least one brand of bulk ammo. I also call that very good for that grade of rifle.

It all depends on your needs, but those are the best two examples I can give in regards to "bang for your buck" accuracy. IMO, if you have to go to target-grade ammo to approach that kind of accuracy in similarly-priced rifles, you aren't getting your money's worth.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I take quality of the rifle and purpose it was made for into consideration. In my Winchester 52's, I expect them to cloverleaf at 50 yards with the right ammo and shooting conditions. With a 10/22, I expect that group to open up to at least 1 1/2 to 2". I am not saying that the Ruger is a piece of garbage, it is not made with match grade components with extreme accuracy in mind. It is made to be a plinker, that is the reason there is such a plethora of aftermarket parts and accessories, most made to accurize the rifle. With today's mass production manufacturing, accuracy of most rimfires is acceptable, but not match grade.

Stupidity is contagious!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mr Marklin, you are right on the money concerning the differences in ammo as it affects .22 accuracy. Although centerfires vary in their ammo preferences, they pale in comparison to .22's. I've had rifles go from inch and a half shooters to half inch shooters at 50 yards, then go back to over an inch and a half, as the ammo varieties change. Some rifles like one brand, while others give the best accuracy with another kind. The only way to wring out each gun's accuracy potential is to try a bunch of kinds.

IC B2

S
S
with my remington 597 i can get 1/4 - 1/2" groups at 50 all day long with cci mini mags and that was before i added a b- square scope base. have yet to shoot it since due to wet and windy conditions. im thinking on a good day with wind less than 5 mph i can get 5 shots in one hole at 25 yrds and touchers at 50

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That's good shooting Sgtdeath.

If a 22 rifle (and scope) won't do 1" edge to edge groups at 50 yds with moderate priced target/standard veloctiy ammo, I'm pretty dissatisfied. However, I rarely can do that well with open sights at 50 yds and rarely shoot paper with them beyond 25 yds.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NathanL: I have owned many dozens of 22 rimfire Rifles in the last 50 years, and ONLY 2 (two) of them have made groups (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured under 1.00"!
Those two Rifles are my Remington 40X and my Kimber M-22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette).
I judge a 22 rimfires accuracy at 100 yards and only on occassion do I test them at 50 yards - these two very accurate Rifles don't make "one hole" groups at 50 yards. Close but not one hole!
Your 22 is not only a really cool looking rig it is a really good shooter with that 4X scope!
Keep up the good work.
Also this - my accuracy examples were all shot with "Varmint" type hollowpoint ammunition not "target" type ammunition.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1/2 inch, 5 shot groups at 50 yards with decent ammo. Bulk ammo will usually shoot pretty good but will throw flyers due to inconsistencies in how it is made.
As others have said before me, each rifle is a law onto itself in reguards to what ammo it likes best.
My CZ 452 Lefty will shoot 1/2 inch or under with Rem/Eley ammo. Would love to try some Wolf target as I hear good things about it as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had a chance to go out and shoot it again much. It rains here everyday lately and when it doesn't I've been working up loads on a new .300 win mag. Suffice to say it's time to give the shoulder a break and get back to the .22 real soon.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.