Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by milespatton
01.00-F PRIMA FACIE EVIDENCE. The possession of any tackle or killing device in fields, forests, along streams or in any location known to be game cover, may be considered along with other evidence as prima facie evidence that the possessor is hunting or fishing.

Out of the Arkansas regulations. miles

That's a damn shame.

The key here is "any location KNOWN TO BE GAME COVER." Carrying a rifle to a boat isn't game cover. Carrying the rifle on a FS road could be a closer call.

BTW prima facie evidence can be rebutted, it doesn't mean a conviction is impending based on that evidence alone.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
It is well past time for reason when things like this happen on as regular a basis as they currently do. I'm ready to set up a guilliotine and begin an American "Reign of Terror".

Its never past time for reason.

IMO

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by wadevb1
I'm sure the land owner escalated the misdemeanor offense to a felony which resulted in his death. The same holds true for a speeding motorists whom gets stopped for a civil infraction but introduces a weapon in the event. The GW's entry on the property seemed to be validated as they located the illegal stand.

I'm glad the GW's are OK.

The stand wasn't Illegal, just Illegal corn. The 12 Turkeys on the jury will let the WARDEN off Scott free

What is really funny is here is his post concerning the dog that ran at the cop

Originally Posted by wadevb1
I recall jumping some fences one night chasing a guy with multiple warrants. One yard had an upset dog that didn't appreciate letting the first guy through. I know dogs are family to most and I was on his turf. I had a few partners disagree with me but I would risk taking a bite before the dog recieved a contact wound.

This officer had other options.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Game Warden call the White House and Obama issued the order to use deadly force on the Old Man who was holding the Turkeys hostage

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wade is FOR killing old men and against shooting dogs. Gotta love that!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man was killed over a turkey!!! What else do you need to know?? If a kid steals a pack of gum and flees the police should he be shot also? While I am all for enforcing game laws, I don't think any animal is worth a human life. Honestly, I think the game laws in most states are totally out of control. Prison time and fines in the tens of thousands of dollars over animals?!? I once had a pair of wardens approach me as my then 8 year old son and I were leaving our duck blinds. One warden very politely asked to see my ducks and check my shotgun and ammo (everything was in order, as I check and double check everything, particularly when waterfowl hunting). While he was talking to my son and I, the other warden stood 20 yards away with his hand on his gun trying to look dangerous. A man with his hand on his gun in the presence of my young son worried me. I gotta admit that my first thought was to tell that ba$stard to take his hand off his gun or I'd take it off for him. But what do you do, you're at their mercy in that situation and they know it. That is the type of behavior that escalates situations, there was no need to touch a weapon, my shotgun was in a case and I was compliant. Nobody should ever get shot over a game violation, call it discretion, call it common sense, but they are just animals. Give the ticket later or catch them some other time - better yet don't create a situation where the only out is a gun fight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be interested in hearing "Wade" speak on private property owner's rights, somewhen.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, If they old guy had just followed the orders given by the Game Warden, he would still be alive. I hate people's attitudes that they can do what they want and when they want,,who cares if it is illegal. It WAS on his land, but what he was doing was illegal. Just as if he would have been running a Still.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ranger1
Man was killed over a turkey!!! What else do you need to know?? If a kid steals a pack of gum and flees the police should he be shot also?

The guy was killed for threatening the life of an officer, and being armed and fully capable of it (and possibly attempting it).

if the kid with the pack of gum is caught by an officer, and produces a knife or gun when being arrested and tells the cop he's going to kill him, then YES!!! Shoot the dumb schitt.

And Steelie, the dog thing is totally off base and comparing apples to oranges. Quit being a troll.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Amen, kill the bastard and every kid popping birds with a pellet gun. We'll eventually weed through them all.

Hell, every household and car should have a camera to see if folks are doing anything wrong, we don't need know stinking warrants.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by ranger1
Man was killed over a turkey!!! What else do you need to know?? If a kid steals a pack of gum and flees the police should he be shot also?

The guy was killed for threatening the life of an officer, and being armed and fully capable of it (and possibly attempting it).

if the kid with the pack of gum is caught by an officer, and produces a knife or gun when being arrested and tells the cop he's going to kill him, then YES!!! Shoot the dumb schitt.

And Steelie, the dog thing is totally off base and comparing apples to oranges. Quit being a troll.

How is it off base, both felt threatened apparently, hence the shooting or a dog and a man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This officer responded to a direct threat on his life by an armed man. The dog thing has nothing in common except that it involved an LEO.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So you WERE there!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I beg to differ on the cultural gap matter... Americans... ESPECIALLY rural land owning Americans, are very serious about being left alone on our own property.

And evidently rural American GW's are very serious about being threatened with a firearm...

It is *your* laws that empower GW's (we don't even have GW's) to enter onto private property and it is your laws that make hunting turkey over corn an offense in that particular area..

The GW was doing his duty in investigating /enforcing those laws although I do concide he could have approached the issue with a bit more tact.

But *if* the old guy threatened him and the GW believed his life was in danger, I can't fault him for pulling the trigger...Would say the same if it had been a 15 year old doing the pointing and making the threats..

Its a shame the way it turned out but if you point a weapon at an armed GW or LEO, there are going to be some serious consequences..Having said all that, if the GW is proved to be lying, he should be charged with murder but as yet we only have his word on the events..

Last edited by Pete E; 04/13/09.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had more 'stupid' issues with AK Fish and Game than any place I've ever lived.

I'm sure your 'thick' file is still open .... you don't think they know what 'you' are up to ... Alaska is a small town ...

Maybe the Old Man and the GW go back years. Still I have to agree that the GW should have used some smarts. Maybe the Old Man was going to kill him before he could get away from the scene.

One GW (Skinner) was after my Uncle (uncle Bernice) for many years, down Fiddletown way. I was in the field a time or two when there were confrontations between them. Thought it could have escalated to shots fired ... but it never did. They could only get Uncle Bernice when he was old a grey after some young drunk pulled a knife on him at the local Bar (in River Pines) after Uncle Bernice told them to watch their dirty mouths ... as there were Ladies in the room .... Pool Que to the head puts you right quick down and out. Funny thing Uncle Bernice was the only one that saw the knife ... even when many saw the two young guys threaten him. Also funny that Skinner (long retired) was at Uncle Burnice's trial and chuckled when the Judge says guilty. Those thick 'files' can catch up to you.

Maybe the Old Man had a thick 'file' .... just saying.

Still sad day for em all I'm sure.

Last edited by ropes; 04/13/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were a time traveling, omniscient, wonder-dude like some of yall...I'd sure nuff spend my time doing other things than arguing on the internet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Seems like there are two sides here, the ones who want to hang the GW based on what little we know, and those who are saying lets find out more before condemning the GW.

The latter seems more reasonable to me.

I dont hear anyone saying the GW was definitely in the right and the old man deserved to die.

I agree.

Everyone seems to forget that when the man threatened to kill the warden, it was no longer a misdemeanor offense.

The fact is NO ONE here knows exactly what happened.

If the man had started shooting as soon as the game warden walked up, wounded the warden, and then the warden shot back there are some on this site who would still think the warden was wrong.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the old man was in the wrong the entire time of the incident, from the moment he didn't follow the request of a law enforcement officer and especially when he threatened to kill the officer?

I'm not saying the warden was right or wrong in killing the man because just like everyone else....I was not there. He was not wrong, like it or not, for performing his duties of asking the man to come down so he could issue the man a ticket.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PRESS HERE

Just in case anyone thought I was callin ya ugly names.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ropes
Had more 'stupid' issues with AK Fish and Game than any place I've ever lived.

I'm sure your 'thick' file is still open .... you don't think they know what 'you' are up to ... Alaska is a small town ...

Maybe the Old Man and the GW go back years. Still I have to agree that the GW should have used some smarts. Maybe the Old Man was going to kill him before he could get away from the scene.

One GW (Skinner) was after my Uncle (uncle Bernice) for many years, down Fiddletown way. I was in the field a time or two when there were confrontations between them. Thought it could have escalated to shots fired ... but it never did. They could only get Uncle Bernice when he was old a grey and some young drunk pulled a knife on him at the local Bar (in River Pines) after Uncle Bernice told them to watch their dirty mouths ... as there were Ladies in the room .... Pool Que to the head puts you right quick down and out. Funny thing Uncle Bernice was the only one that saw the knife ... even if many saw the two young guys threaten him. Also funny that Skinner (long retired) was at Uncle Burnice trail and chuckled when the Judge says guilty. Those thick 'files' can catch up to you.

Maybe the Old Man had a thick 'file' .... just saying.

Still sad day for em all I'm sure.

What am I up to?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Granted, only 2 people know and only one is talking. If people have no problems with law enforcement coming onto their property (or anyone for that matter) at anytime then Godspeed.

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,835
Posts18,496,745
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.